Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #21

Thank goodness for this site or I would never have heard of Poop Mountain!

We keep the valves shut and I make certain to use extra water when flushing so that the mountain issue is less likely to occur.

(Truthfully, I take a morning constitutional every day to the bath house for several reasons I will be delicate enough not to get into here. The kids and DW are the only source of ... solids.)

2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl01 View Post
So I have a question....when you are at a site with sewer hookups, do you leave your black and grey valves open or do you keep the closed and put in the water and Dawn soap and open the valves once the tank starts getting full? I have always wondered how the matter would get out of the tank and down the pipe with the valves left open with the small amount if water the camper uses to flush.
Black always closed. Gray is your choice.

Pretty neat thread/poll on it a while back. Seems most keep their valves all closed with a smattering of people who leave the gray open:
When hooked up to a campground sewer system

Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #23

RV Toilet Paper

Ah those souls who have never had the fortune of the "poop mountain" on the port-o-lets from various job sites and events.
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #24

I love this forum. I've only been a member for a week or so. It provides us newbies to camping a mountain of information. Maybe I should say a Ton of information. LOL
3.31 Rear Axle
Reese Strait-Pull Trunnion Hitch
ualski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slympicins View Post
I keep both my grey and black tank closed until I leave or I need to release some grey water. When leaving I dump my black water then flush with the grey water. I flush the black tank and leave some fresh water in it (pint) along with some blue tank fresh to slosh around while driving. All other tanks are empty.
That's pretty well how I do it.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #26

We all learn from each other. I often wonder if Forest River learns from us?
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #27

If they (and this goes for any manufacturer, not just FR) they would have their customer relations people join these fora and at least troll for good ideas / feedback. They don't have to post (since that could attract a whole bunch of questions that they might not be prepared to answer) but just reading the posts from actual RVers and then feeding that back to corporate design or service would see an improvement in their product.

Maybe if they were certified to ISO 9001 and actually had procedures that were customer-focused this could happen.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #28

[QUOTE=Wmoses;629491]If they (and this goes for any manufacturer, not just FR) they would have their customer relations people join these fora and at least troll for good ideas / feedback. They don't have to post (since that could attract a whole bunch of questions that they might not be prepared to answer) but just reading the posts from actual RVers and then feeding that back to corporate design or service would see an improvement in their product.

Maybe if they were certified to ISO 9001 and actually had procedures that were customer-focused this could happen.[/QUOTE

Wouldn't that be nice , but that can be a double edged sword.
I subscribe to a different forum (unrelated) where one of the forum sponsors has a somewhat questionable reputation. When someone posted critical comments reg. their products or lack of customer service the moderators would remove theses posts within minutes out of fear they would take their advertising funds elsewhere, you know what I mean.
Maybe they are watching as we speak .
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #29

If i leave my galley and gray open, i always end up with ants in my TT. Keep water in your Black tank and USE bleach, make sure there is enough water when flushing. If you do not desinfect your black once in a while + poop mountain you might get flies coming out of your toilet when flushing. Dishwasher tablets work too.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
Explorer

I have been camping for 44 years, 9 years in my own trailers, using high quality toilet paper. I have never seen a problem. We do use a wipe procedure: 2 squares wipe and fold, wipe and toss, 2 squares wipe and fold , wipe and fold, wipe and flush, if you need more wiping start again. Do I believe my girls, all three of them, do this perfectly NO. I just push the idea that to much paper is bad, use small amounts with a good amount of water.
All of our campers have had very short and straight runs before and after gate valves if this has any difference.
My big worry is when we bring family or friends that have not been trained, so far no problems. We do have awkward talks, seems to work.
I just use those toss in cubes in black tank so nothing fancy.
John(no pun intended)

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote