Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 AM   #1

RV water softeners

We've decided that we would like a water softener for the RV. Have had one at the house for many years and it is tough to go for very long in the RV before we miss it. They also serve as great filters.
As always, there are many choices. Most hook up outside the RV to the 'city' water hose. Of course that means when we are at a state park without 'city' water.....no soft water. But.....we still want one for when can use it.

The Pro's are obvious. Con's? Brand?
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Unless you soften the water going in the tank.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #3

Go on EBay. Check out Mobile RV water sidtners. I been using theore for years now. Love it. Easy to regenerate and makes life so much tolerable with this Florida water we have.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

mwdilday…..have you done that....fill the fresh holding tank with the softener? Works okay? Does the soft (salt) water bother the water pump?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldodge View Post
mwdilday…..have you done that....fill the fresh holding tank with the softener? Works okay? Does the soft (salt) water bother the water pump?

Why would you think it would damage the pump ?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

If there is any metal components in the pump? Another thing we've been wondering about is how you know it is time to regenerate? By feel or testing? Both?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:

Have not done that but wouldn’t think it would. If it would damage the pump I wouldn’t be drinking it.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #8

Don't know if my pump has any metal components in it or not, but if it does the last time I checked metal doesn't like salt very much.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
If there is any metal components in the pump? Another thing we've been wondering about is how you know it is time to regenerate? By feel or testing? Both?
I get billed for my water usage. You regenerate by the number of gallons you use. I do it every 6-8 weeks Depending on how often I do laundry, wash car, wash RV ect. You flush out the sorter after you regenerate it, so no salt is left in softner. Bought mine about 8 years ago. Have used it on 3 RVs now and never a problem. I am due soon to replace media in tank, it’s required every few years. Minimal cost for media and nothing special needed to do it, screw off top of tank, pour out old and replace with new. I did it I think 4 years ago and if I remember correctly it cost me $60.00 for media. I am full time RVer and would not think of being with out it. Showers are so much nicer and laundry is too.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Have not done that but wouldn’t think it would. If it would damage the pump I wouldn’t be drinking it.

Do you have softner at your house ? Do you fill your holding tank at your house ? If regenerate is done properly there’s no salt left in tank. Do you taste salt in your home after regeneration. Your overthinking this. It’s really simple and you would be suprized at the amount of RV’s here in the RV Resort in live in that have them. Never heard of a problem or complaint.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #11

Softner.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F291564534601
Old 08-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #12

There, I did the leg work for you, same one I have.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #13

Have had water softeners in our last three houses. First one was hot water only. Second house was all water except outside. Current house is hot only. I understand the salt is only used as a cleaning agent, but a small amount of salt remains in the 'soft' water you use.
That is another concern of ours, there is no way of controlling HOW soft (to our knowledge) with one of these RV softeners.

Don't get me wrong, we probably get one for the RV, just doing our 'research' before buying.

Tags
water