Old 05-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #1

RV World Discovers Blu-Ray

From the outset I was mystified as we shopped for a travel trailer and All of the ones we looked at had DVD players but none had Blu-Ray. So one of the first mods to our new 26RBWS was to add a Blu-Ray player.

When I removed the head unit the first think I corrected was to vacuum the piles of sawdust out of the area. Then there was a big black box which I finally identified as a subwoofer. Next using a wood block and a hammer I GENTLY removed the panel to the left of the head unit (it was stapled in from the back side. Once that was out a quick trip to the band saw and the correct size hole was in the panel. There was a 1 3/4" height difference between the top of the cabinet rail and the floor of the opening so I built a small platform and installed webbing with adjustable buckles to anchor the new Sony Blu-Ray WiFi player. Reach in through the head unit opening and staple the modified cable. Pass a HDMI cable from TV to the player. Run the power cord to the plug behind the TV and anchor the player. And voila!

A nice thing about doing it this way is that the sound is sent from the TV to the head unit and comes out through the camper's speakers.

An added advantage is that if there is decent Internet the Sony gives access to Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on via the rooftop WiFi Ranger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_114345.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	171281  

GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #2

Nice mod! We recently bought the same Blu-Ray player, hard to beat for the price. I also ended up running the same cables, the bummer is that the TV that came with our unit doesn't support ARC so sound from the TV doesn't get sent back through the HDMI cable to the head unit. That's fine as we rarely watch live TV, it's either Netflix or movies.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayghostUSA View Post
From the outset I was mystified as we shopped for a travel trailer and All of the ones we looked at had DVD players but none had Blu-Ray. So one of the first mods to our new 26RBWS was to add a Blu-Ray player.

When I removed the head unit the first think I corrected was to vacuum the piles of sawdust out of the area. Then there was a big black box which I finally identified as a subwoofer. Next using a wood block and a hammer I GENTLY removed the panel to the left of the head unit (it was stapled in from the back side. Once that was out a quick trip to the band saw and the correct size hole was in the panel. There was a 1 3/4" height difference between the top of the cabinet rail and the floor of the opening so I built a small platform and installed webbing with adjustable buckles to anchor the new Sony Blu-Ray WiFi player. Reach in through the head unit opening and staple the modified cable. Pass a HDMI cable from TV to the player. Run the power cord to the plug behind the TV and anchor the player. And voila!

A nice thing about doing it this way is that the sound is sent from the TV to the head unit and comes out through the camper's speakers.

An added advantage is that if there is decent Internet the Sony gives access to Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on via the rooftop WiFi Ranger
GrayghostUSA, What is the model of the Sony Blu Ray player you installed?
R/Chris
cwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
GrayghostUSA, What is the model of the Sony Blu Ray player you installed?
R/Chris
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Been away from the forum for a while. It is a Sony BDPS3700 Streaming Blu-Ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi .
GrayghostUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

It certainly is weird how new RV's only have DVD players, way behind the tech curve. Maybe I should be happy it's not VHS!

Tags
cover