Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #1

Safe T Alert CO and LP detector goes off every other day in the morning!! Just started

The red LP light flashes and annoying sound!! When I push the test button it stops!! Propane thanks are off! Can’t see how CO would be a problem!! It is a 5th wheel therefore has no engine. Nothing to release CO! New battery in May and the detector is a 1 1/2 old!!
To remove the detector do I need to turn anything off before removing!
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Check the battery again by manually measuring voltage across the terminals. The monitor panel will reflect the converter output when connected to shore power. Could have blown the reverse polarity fuses when installed, or have a disconnect switch off. Co detector is usually connect directly to the battery and if battery is not connected( being charged) by the converter, the charge will drop below the level needed for the alarm.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Other things can set off a LP/CO detector besides what you mentioned.

Many hair sprays are propelled by propane, butane or some form of hydrocarbons.
Even dog farts will set them off.

Didn't you mention in another thread a few days ago you were having furnace issues and then it 'magically' started working? Is the propane 'really' off?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

Yes propane is off!!
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

Went into our TT today and ours is going off. Flashing red to green. Guess it time to replace, to the internet I go.
Op what color yours flashing? Mine states green, power on, red alert, red green replace, red red green green EOL. EOL end of life.
You would think replace and EOL would be same, but I tend to over think things
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Carknocker Family

Went into our TT today and ours is going off. Flashing red to green. Guess it time to replace, to the internet I go.
Op what color yours flashing? Mine states green, power on, red alert, red green replace, red red green green EOL. EOL end of life.
You would think replace and EOL would be same, but I tend to over think things
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
If it's going off in the morning, I suspect low voltage when the heater is running. The only times our alarm has gone off is from temporary low voltage or high methane levels when camped at a warm water reservoir that had a lot of algae-like plants growing near the shore where we were camped. The detector is hard wired to the battery, but can be removed and the connection severed pretty easily once it's pulled out of the paneling. And yes, they definitely need to be replaced every 5 years, too.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
The red LP light flashes and annoying sound!! When I push the test button it stops!! Propane thanks are off! Can’t see how CO would be a problem!! It is a 5th wheel therefore has no engine. Nothing to release CO! New battery in May and the detector is a 1 1/2 old!!
To remove the detector do I need to turn anything off before removing!
Search will show you many many pages on Detectors !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote