Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

Septic hose routing

Looking for experienced RVrs philosophy on proper method for routing and supporting septic hose. Good and constant slope or just lay the hose however? Batch drain the black tank when full or just leave knife gate valve open and allow low sections to accumulate as they will? As always a must is to keep isolated from septic gases.

mrlessonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Lay the hose however, but don't significantly go uphill if you can. I have one instance where support was required by the RV park- for that, I used some pieces of gutter and LynxLeveler blocks for support.

However, never leave your black tank open. You're welcoming an issue by doing that.

The gray tank and leaving it open is more up for debate between leaving it open vs closed.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 AM   #3

Septic hose routing

As long as your hose isn't uphill or making sharp bends you are ok. However, I personally use support "chairs" for my sewer hose. I'm not sure the exact name, but I purchased it from Walmart for around $25.

I second ependydad's statement on the black tank valve! Alway leave it closed until you're ready to dump and I always flush the toilet for a little longer period of time just to make sure there is much more water instead of solids in the tank.

I also personally leave the gray tank valve open until the day before we are scheduled to leave. That's whenever we do all of our dishes and use a lot of water to fill up the grey tank full of soapy water. Not sure it helps, but it sure makes me feel better having all that soapy water follow up in the hose after I dump the black tank.
Davis_Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #4

NEVER leave black tank open. Only the liquids will drain and solids will pile up in the tank. Personally, I never leave the gray open either. Use all that water to wash the hose out after dumping black tank.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

I second the sewer hose supports.

I also leave the valves closed until ready to dump the tanks and wait until the are mostly full.

I use these and route them so you have a slope from the discharge to the septic doing a 1/4-1/2" per foot at a minimum.

Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis_Family View Post
As long as your hose isn't uphill or making sharp bends you are ok. However, I personally use support "chairs" for my sewer hose. I'm not sure the exact name, but I purchased it from Walmart for around $25.

I second ependydad's statement on the black tank valve! Alway leave it closed until you're ready to dump and I always flush the toilet for a little longer period of time just to make sure there is much more water instead of solids in the tank.

I also personally leave the gray tank valve open until the day before we are scheduled to leave. That's whenever we do all of our dishes and use a lot of water to fill up the grey tank full of soapy water. Not sure it helps, but it sure makes me feel better having all that soapy water follow up in the hose after I dump the black tank.
I'm in this camp with the exception of if it's just a weekend trip I leave the grey tanks closed and then dump all Sunday. Black-Grey-Grey.

If we are staying somewhere longer, as mentioned above, I may open the shower/bath grey for the first few days and then close it a day or so before we head out.

Sewer hose supports work well for draining and make your campsite look a little more organized and I use them whenever possible. With that said, the hundreds of times over the years when I didn't use them, I never had a problem with the blast from the grey tank(s) cleaning everything out.

Never leave the black valve open. Only open to empty or use tank flush.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #7

Those inexpensive plastic gutters that they sell at Home Depot or Lowes work real well for supporting your sewer hose. Just put some scrap wood under the RV end. Keep your valves closed except when dumping. Fumes and Roaches can come in.
jamesroadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
NEVER leave black tank open. Only the liquids will drain and solids will pile up in the tank. Personally, I never leave the gray open either. Use all that water to wash the hose out after dumping black tank.
This!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #9

I made myself PVC pipe support to help with the sewer hoses Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160926_110530017_HDR.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	130411
Old 02-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlessonman View Post
Looking for experienced RVrs philosophy on proper method for routing and supporting septic hose. Good and constant slope or just lay the hose however? Batch drain the black tank when full or just leave knife gate valve open and allow low sections to accumulate as they will? As always a must is to keep isolated from septic gases.
another sewer option is the "Sewer Solution", .... using SS, you don't have to be concerned about having the proper slope for slinky(it pumps uphill), and you don't have to save your gray water for flushing your hose behind the black tank dump(we leave our gray tank valve open all the time, one less thing to monitor when camping), ...

SS is simply a macerator pump system that uses a water jet to breakup the solids and paper and pump everything to the cg drain, ... no gears to jam, no electricity needed, ... we've used SS from day one(four yrs./ three trailers) w/out any problems whatsoever, ... our only slinky use, is a short hose for dump station use(only used three times), ...

usually when the "Sewer Solution" is mentioned, the nay sayers come out of the woodwork in opposition to it, but almost always have never used it, ... I am speaking from experience, it works, its clean, and it last(not many slinkys last four years and counting, if used much at all), ...

just another sewer option to consider ... below is a link to Amazon and a couple of youtube videos ........ happy trailering ..........

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YJNQ28...ure-pcomp-wm-1

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlessonman View Post
I am in the category that believes in sewer hose support for my sewer hose. The first law of plumbing is that items flow better downhill! I have close to 30' of support system for my sewer hoses. I also use a solid connection to the septic sewer pipe, such as a rubber donate or an elbow that will thread into the pipe.

On the RV sewer pipe, there is a clear elbow 45deg or a straight connector that the sewer hose connects to. Depending on septic tank connection in relation to the trailer sewer pipe. This is to ensure that the black tank is emptied and the water runs clear. I also have another gate valve connect to the end of the sewer pipe to ensure that the gray/black water does not leak when hooking up sewer hoses. I also have a separate hose for flushing the black water tank and sewer hoses, never use your potable water hose for this function.

Now for short term stays all tanks are kept closed until we leave then they are emptied. For longer stays of a week or more in one place the gray water shower tank is left open to drain as needed. The galley tank is closed and only drained when the black tank is drain. This is to flush the sewer hose.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #12

We also use the hose supports, clear connector on the blade end and angled adapter on the sewer pipe end. I keep the black and grey closed. I dump the black first then grey to flush. I also carry two 15' sections of sewer hose.

Marty
Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
another sewer option is the "Sewer Solution"

DW was looking over my shoulder as I watched this, thinks it's good idea. So thanks, I think....
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
DW was looking over my shoulder as I watched this, thinks it's good idea. So thanks, I think....

fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote