Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #21

Yes bobneal69. It is the CO / LP detector that is under the island sink. Made a mistake calling it smoke detector. Where is fuse located?
OswegoLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
install an after market smoke detector. we removed our first one, as it was junk.
X2....went thru the same process of checking everything that could cause it three days in a row. Said "screw it" and replaced the detector and haven't had any more problems
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OswegoLion View Post
Yes bobneal69. It is the CO / LP detector that is under the island sink. Made a mistake calling it smoke detector. Where is fuse located?
I'll post a picture tomorrow night. On mine it is the first fuse in line, 5 amp. I keep a pair of needle nose plyers in the closet just for that purpose.
bobneal69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 PM   #24

In their infinite wisdom, FR put our smoke alarm in the kitchen and just to the side of the stove top. Can't cook anything without setting it off. I'd move it, but it is mounted with screws and would leave exposed holes. I just remove the battery when we set up and don't put it back in till we strike camp. I did add a second unit in the bedroom.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:57 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
In their infinite wisdom, FR put our smoke alarm in the kitchen and just to the side of the stove top. Can't cook anything without setting it off. I'd move it, but it is mounted with screws and would leave exposed holes. I just remove the battery when we set up and don't put it back in till we strike camp. I did add a second unit in the bedroom.

If it's not in use while you're in the camper, why put the battery back in at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
They put it there because the most likely place for a fire to start in an RV is due to something going wrong with the stove.

Get yourself a quart zip lock baggy and a heavy duty 3" rubber band, the kind the post office uses to band your mail together when you have a lot. Then when you are frying that bacon, or any other item that can cause smoke, use the baggy and the rubber band to cover the smoke detector. or you can pull the battery, BUT if you do, make sure you put the battery back in when finished cooking.
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #27
Site Team

Hair spray will set off the CO/Propane alarm as will low battery. Many other spray materials such as lysol or air freshener will also set it off. It is recommended not to disconnect it as it is very easy to forget it is disconnected and I for one would not want to sleep in an RV without a CO/Propane detector. Having it go off accidentally is an inconvenience, having it not go off because it is disconnected could be fatal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
True, many a time at home, the DW uses it to let me know my toast is ready.
You must have the same model "toaster" that I have!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:56 PM   #29

The fuse is the top left one. In this picture it is a 5 amp but orginally it was a 3 amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1469595279725.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	115481  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #30

MeepMeep or Brother Les where did you get your replacement and what brand and model did you use?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
X2....went thru the same process of checking everything that could cause it three days in a row. Said "screw it" and replaced the detector and haven't had any more problems
Where did you get your replacement and what brand and model did you use? The only reason I haven't replaced mine is I have read that the replacements are as troublesome as the old one. Mine is only 2 1/2 years old from date of manufacture.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobneal69 View Post
Where did you get your replacement and what brand and model did you use? The only reason I haven't replaced mine is I have read that the replacements are as troublesome as the old one. Mine is only 2 1/2 years old from date of manufacture.
That was about the same age as my detector when it died. Went to Camping World and picked up one of these (think it was around $70):
Attached Images

2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
That was about the same age as my detector when it died. Went to Camping World and picked up one of these (think it was around $70):
Thank you. :-)