Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Unhappy So I went to pickup my used 2008 831QBSS today...

I had recently picked out a 2008 Flagstaff 831QBSS while shopping for our new-to-us camper, found it at a local dealer I've heard good things about. We are going over everything and how it works and then I bring in the slide to see what looks like stains on top of the slide. It has the slide-topper awning so I thought this was weird... turns out, the wall above the slide is wet beneath the wallpaper and has started to de-laminate inside. They assure me a slide adjustment, new gasket, and factory ordered wall paneling is all that it will take to resolve my leak issue. Is this common on these trailers? They also said because it is a six-side aluminum construction the damage is only cosmetic. How often does the slide need adjusting? This is our first super slide.
DubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #2

Run away from this unit. If the wall is DE-laminated you most likely have a damaged beam above the slide out. This is a major problem and can not be fixed with new seals and adjusting the slide. I sound like the leak is at the roof level.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

Run, don't walk away from that unit.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

This unit will be a project and that's OK if that's what you want and are prepared.

Me - I'd pass.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

The dealer is going to "fix it". If they stop the leak and replace the inside panel that got wet above the slide, it should be good as new, right?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

Something allowed the water in. Alignment probably is not the cause. If it was, I would think you would have noticed the slide not being aligned in the first place. That is the issue. What about the insulation or anything else that got wet that you cannot see. Can you trust the dealer to fix that too on his dime?
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

Wherever water is involved, there is always far more damage than you see. If the dealer will dismantle the damaged area, and let you see what is in the wall, BEFORE you sign anything, the maybe consider it.
But I wouldn't touch it either. That is likely a roof leak, and who knows what might remain hidden.
And are you sure the roof is framed in aluminum? Don't take the dealer's word, as they are all liars.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

As I stated in the second post Run way from this deal. The dealer will most likely just repair what you can see. If the wall is showing damage then the interior damage will be there. Most dealers will only repair what you can see. Plus a roof leak can be a hard item to find. Water will migrate from where the leak is to a point you can see. If they do not find the leak and repair the trailer next year you will be back to the same problem. If if where me I would be running away from this deal and not look back. This is a major job and the structural damage could be larger then you think.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #9

I'd pass if you still have that option.....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #10

One good piece of advice we got when looking for our first RV (new or used) was, if you see water damage, R-U-N! We turned down a beautiful 5er that had a great price because there was water damage under one of the windows. Glad we did! Your dealer knows he will have a hard time selling that unit to an experienced buyer. He's trying to get rid of it by taking advantage of you. Be patient and keep looking. Worry free camping is so much more fun!
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

I pulled the plug on the deal, and they refunded the full amount. I went today and signed papers for a 2012 Coachmen Catalina. Hopefully it was a good move. Thanks for all the advice!