Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

Smile Starting with hoses: Complete newbies with newbie questions!!

Hello! My first post on these forums, although hubby and I have been browsing them for a while.

We bought a used 2009 831KRSS TT. Yep. Now we have a TT and a vague idea of what we need to do. I found a fantastic checklist for setting up and taking down, which included some much needed info about hoses. Which I just found!

So, we have the black hose in the bumper. We have two regular ol' green garden hoses, two white water hoses (one long, one shorter), and a blue hose (not a garden hose, but one like the black water hose). Actually two blue ones.

What are the blue hoses for?

Where do you store these hoses?

What do you keep in the back storage area? It looks like maybe broom holders?

I have taken the white hoses and poured a 5:1 water:bleach solution through them, rinsed potable water through, then fastened the ends together to avoid contamination. Good? Over-paranoid? The previous owners appear to have gotten divorced mid-camping trip on a muddy day, so nothing is clean.

Any other hose suggestions?

That's all the time I have right now... So thank you in advance!
arctic_bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Team

It might be overkill but I would buy a new fresh water hose and keep it away from the other hoses.

The blue hoses look like sewer hoses for dumping your tanks.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

So they had black sewer hose in the bumper and these? For the same purpose?

(Thanks!)
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #4

We have a blue sewer hose that came with our camper. We purchased another better quality sewer hose. That may explain why you have more than one. Good luck and happy camping!
anitag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the garden hoses were kept in the same area as the waste hoses, they may have been for a "tornado" rinse for your black tank, if you have that option. Hopefully that is the case.

My suggestion is to buy new, white, drinking water hoses.....not the typical black or green garden hose for your drinking water needs. With the white color, you know they are for potable water systems, plus they are supposed to non-toxic......regualr garden hoses are not advertised as such.....but who knows.

Since you bought this unit used, and have no idea if the previous owners were sloppy with their drinking water hose use, I would highly recommend sanatizing your entire water system, including the fresh water tank and even the water heater.

Keep your white water hoses and fittings far away from your waste tank hoses and fittings. I keep my fresh water hoses and fittings in a sealed container in the front pass-thru, and my water fittings in a sealed container on the opposite side of my pass-thru. My sewer hoses live in the rear bumper.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Thank you guys! I have learned so much already - and there is so much more to go!

We are definitely sanitizing the system... Shudder... As soon as we get the pump working!