Old 06-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Stripped Out Screw Holes

Has anybody found a superabundance of stripped out screw holes in the OSB of Flagstaff trailers. I have just spent half a day re-doing all the cabinet screws in the front bunk room, living room, and kitchen. I have a V-Lite and it seems as if all the people working on the construction of this trailer had their electric screwdriver torque turned up to maximum.

Tomorrow is going to be spent on finishing all of the screw holes in the rest of the inside of the trailer. I'm using extremely small dowel rods and Gorilla glue to fill the holes and putting screws back in properly. Then I guess I'll check the outside of the trailer and do them too. I can hear the dealer scream if I told him to repair all of the screw holes under warranty. I guess I'm anal...if it needs a screw in it the screw should be tight and not stripped out. I have a supply of dowel rods and a big bottle of Gorilla Glue to go through. However, when I'm done I'll have a trailer that won't have loose screws in it other than the ones I have loose in my head. My DW is just as bad. She is replacing all of the curtains and we have only camped in it for 14 days.

For a very nominal fee, I'll offer my supervisory skills to anyone wanting to do the same. I guess my vent is over for now.

Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Yes I had the same problem with my v-lite. Fixed it basically just like you did. Good luck

dilgerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
I have the same problem in my V-Lite also. Used dowels and epoxy to fix the stripped screws. Part of the problem is the wood they used has no holding power. It seems to be just short of being made from from foam.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
I used tee nuts and machine screws.
Mike & Lu Anne
& our Jack Russell 'Genny'
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2011 Chevy CC Duramax Z/71
OH plate GM DMAX
Hensley Arrow
MIKE44460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
I had the same problem with a cabinet door. Installed slightly larger wood screws but they also didn't hold in the soft wood.

Ended up using machine screws and nuts. Plan to simply upgrade if/when anymore work loose.
2012 Ford F150 4x4, 5.0L, 3.55
2011 Rockwood MiniLite 1809s
E2 WDH 600/6000lbs
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
I have had a few screws come loose and I found #8 screws at Lowe's that are made just for partical board. They seem to work really well or they have so far.

2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 w/Murphy Bed
2004 F-150 4.6 Liter 4x2 Factory Tow Package
2012 - 21 Nights Camped
2013 - 21 Nights Camped
wolfpack21643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
It sounds like the final inspector had the day off or something. I worked in the manufacturing of automobile components...Fridays were wild. Things like this should have been caught before they left the facility that was involved in the building of it. What has happened to a dedicated workforce?

2009 Palomino Puma 25RS
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote