Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #61

Dear Readers,

I noted a reply, stating an effort to disconnect a battery lead which would stop discharges from the battery when not in use... CO detectors and such.

IMHO EVERYONE should consider a main breaker and a revamping of the wiring to the batteries.

One can get these from stores such as West Marine and the like. They are simple switches which will handle the 12v load. BE SURE to use a switch that is MORE THAN adequate. Normal switches WILL NOT handle the RV’s startup and usage loads.
I think it’s a safety issue whereby disconnecting a lead(s) before one works on the electrics is important.
Second, grounding to the frame is customary, but the ground is generally the first place I look when something doesn’t work. Corrosion is a problem, consider dielectric grease where possible.
Third, individualizing the connections, i.e.: one lug for the radios, one for the CO detector, and so on where possible, makes troubleshooting easier, not to mention overloading the connection point. Nothing’s worse than having corrosion between crimp connections where one piece of equipment works and the other doesn’t.
So, add a buss bar on both the positive and negative side along with your master switch. Remember to calculate the load first, and purchase proper materials. For the do-it-yourself folks, it’s not expensive and just may save you and your RV.
Just a thought
Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #62

Just purchased the TT and the dealer (Palmetto RV) has a free two day school at the local KOA. They reserved a lake side spot and I'll be out there next weekend. They come out and help you set up and show you how to operate everything. If there are any problems, they bring their repair truck out and fix whatever is wrong. They are even going to grease the axles one more time for me. This dealer only sells used RV's. I call that AWESOME!
Dan
"Submarines once, submarines twice..."
dc31bhss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #63

The TV antenna can rotate?? Add that to the list of things they didnt tell us..
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
The TV antenna can rotate?? Add that to the list of things they didnt tell us..
Keep in mind, you have to re-align it before lowering it! (If it's a winegard, line up the large points on the rotating ring...)

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
Keep in mind, you have to re-align it before lowering it! (If it's a winegard, line up the large points on the rotating ring...)

John
Yes..the friend and fellow camper that showed us explained it well
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote