Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #1

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Stuff they didn't say in the walk thru

What have you learned about your TT since the walk thru... stuff that the dealer should have told you)???

This Memorial Day weekend, we went out for a 3 nighter and had a great time. We packed the fridge and the freezer had some frozen burgers and two containers of ice cream. The first morning, we opened the freezer to find the icecream oozing out of the cartins... melting.

After having a conversation with a neighbor that had the same fridge, he mentioned the 'plastic slide' on inside the fridge to control the temp. I thought the Dometic fridge was a fixed temp setting from the factory and didn't see a noticeable temp adjustor. After adjusting (by sliding upwards) the temp we had re-frozen icecream and found out our fridge actually works properly.

The dealer should have mentioned that little fridge adustment 'thingie' inside the refrigerator as part of the walk-thru, no???

Live and learn.

Had a great time camping this past weekend.

Darren
'11 M/L 23LB
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

I feel your pain Darren - I dont remember a mention of the slide for temp control either

I have a thermometer in mine so I know it is at temp or not - Camping world has these nice clip on skinny narrow thermometer's.

I have also noticed the slide that you mention - I had to keep pushing the white piece up because it slides out of the the other white piece that attaches to the fin.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #3

Yeah, I figured that out as it was not mentioned in our walk thru. Didn't mention the slide brace or that our sidekick bbq stand can be stood up using the support brackets to stand on its own.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #4

I didn't know thats what that was. Thanks. Temp guage something else for the trailer list
2012 ROCKWOOD #2604
99 Tahoe 5.7L- 3.73
Juss82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #5

Hey Darren,
Here's one for you since you own essentailly the same unit - I finally got a chance to go on the roof and do some caulking and found 3 potential areas that could leak if not caulked - you may want to check these areas as well before it becomes a problem for you.
I used the Dycor Lap Sealant - self leveling (Blue Tube) in white.

the 4 areas to look at are:
1 - where the front shell meet's the roof on both sides - found the seal to be cracked and open so filled it with sealant
2 - the cable from the antenna had a hole from moving the antenna up and down cause the sealant to split away from the cable - I used the sealant and let dry for over an hour and then ran the antenna up and down a few times - no gap now.
3 - found a small gap between one of the vent tubes (may not have been enough space but I caulked anyway)
4 - the back awning bracket was attached to the white seal but pulled away from the top - almost like it wasnt installed in a groove and you could see a potential problem if water get in between there.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Site Team

i believe the correct term for that "thingie" is thermistor.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

they should have installed or told me that the water filter was not installed when i got the unit.

also they didnt know how the stove worked... magic chef apartment style
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #8

They failed to tell us about the hidden power switch in the outdoor kitchen that toggled power between the indoor and outdoor microwaves. The inside microwave didn't have power. Once we called them and found out about the switch, we still didn't have power. We removed the microwave and found it wasn't even plugged in. Thanks!

2000 Excursion Limited PowerStroke Diesel- ATS ported housing, Riffraff's FRx, HPx & I/C boot kit, DiPricol Optix- Pyro/Boost/Trans, DP Tuner-80t, Drive-Thru, 80e, 120race, K&N intake tube w/6637, Exhaust, AIH delete, Foil delete, 4" lift, Airbags, Dunlop Rover M/TMaxx 315/75/16's, '04 headlights.
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #9

Things they didn't tell us on walk thru.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
What have you learned about your TT since the walk thru... stuff that the dealer should have told you)???

This Memorial Day weekend, we went out for a 3 nighter and had a great time. We packed the fridge and the freezer had some frozen burgers and two containers of ice cream. The first morning, we opened the freezer to find the icecream oozing out of the cartins... melting.

After having a conversation with a neighbor that had the same fridge, he mentioned the 'plastic slide' on inside the fridge to control the temp. I thought the Dometic fridge was a fixed temp setting from the factory and didn't see a noticeable temp adjustor. After adjusting (by sliding upwards) the temp we had re-frozen icecream and found out our fridge actually works properly.

The dealer should have mentioned that little fridge adustment 'thingie' inside the refrigerator as part of the walk-thru, no???

Live and learn.

Had a great time camping this past weekend.

Darren
'11 M/L 23LB

Apparently there is a Propane Sensor that draws power off the batteries and
will eventually run your batteries down IF you do not remove a cable from your batteries. In my case I lift the battery cover up remove the wingnut and two cables from the negative post. Prior to doing this and the trailer sitting several months it drawed both batteries down enough that there was not power to operate individual lights.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 AM   #10

Water filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
they should have installed or told me that the water filter was not installed when i got the unit.

also they didnt know how the stove worked... magic chef apartment style

Well, you mean I assumed that there was a filter installed in our 831RLBSS for the last 2 years when there is none?? Yeck

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Well, you mean I assumed that there was a filter installed in our 831RLBSS for the last 2 years when there is none?? Yeck
We removed the filter canister completely from our camper. Removing and reinstalling the filter element was a messy, difficult job that had to be done twice a year (prior to winterizing and after flushing and sanitizing).

The elements were expensive and reduced pressure far too much.

The pressurized accumulator the fits right in the same spot as the canister is FAR more functional.

We use an external water filter that fits on the hose bib now.
MUCH easier to deal with.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Apparently there is a Propane Sensor that draws power off the batteries and
will eventually run your batteries down IF you do not remove a cable from your batteries. In my case I lift the battery cover up remove the wingnut and two cables from the negative post. Prior to doing this and the trailer sitting several months it drawed both batteries down enough that there was not power to operate individual lights.
The propane sensor, the smoke detector, and the circuit board for the refrigerator (if you leave the fridge on propane) can all be parasite loads - electrical loads that draw your battery down, even when you think that everything is turned off. These can be eaisily overcome by disconnecting the battery, (they sell inexpensive battery disconnects that do what Wanderer does without creating a potentially dangerous arc), a small trickle/float chargers (requires 120v), or a small solar battery charger (TT can't be stored indoors or in the shade).

Some RV fridges have a fridge switch that is supposed to limit / eliminate condensation around the fridge door. This works well, but it's actually a heating strip that does this, so not only does it "steal" electricity, it requires more propane to overcome the heat being produced.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #13

Don't forget the aux. on / off switch on the the water heater itself, prevents someone from turning on the electric element in the coach if there's no water in it.
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM   #14

Didn't tell us about the fridge adjustment but I was curious about the propane running fridges and did research before hand so I knew about that. Didn't tell us no water cartridge was installed, I thought the new one was extra. Found the assembly while looking around. Said the switch by the range was to shut off the outside speakers when in fact the radio ABC buttons do that and the switch he said it does works the outside yellow flood light. Didn't show me that the bunks have locks and I came here to find out why I have so many keys. lol. Didn't say not to step on the edge of the slide out while its retracted until we already did entering before him. He told me I needed cables, which he could not find, to connect the DVD player to a TV but the RCA jack was actually on a panel next to the cable and sat connections.

In his defense we did learn some tips and I guess its hard to keep track of all features and controls on so many models and brands...
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #15

Ya the fridge temp thingy had me confused, Mine doesn't stay on properly, gonna have to rig something up.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #16
flc

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
We removed the filter canister completely from our camper. Removing and reinstalling the filter element was a messy, difficult job that had to be done twice a year (prior to winterizing and after flushing and sanitizing). ------We use an external water filter that fits on the hose bib now.
MUCH easier to deal with.

Same here!

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #17

we didnt even bother to install the filter, they showed us where to put it, but, wasnt worth it to put it on, if we want to, we can put an external on on. not like were drinking the water anyway.
gear ratio
momtovn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The pressurized accumulator the fits right in the same spot as the canister is FAR more functional.
Does the accumulator limit the time the noisy water pump comes on? Where can I find one? Thanks !
Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

While it does not "limit the time it is on" (it actually runs the same amount of time total); it does not come on with the first flush of the toilet.

The bottle has enough pressure to get two short "#1" flushes at night with no pump running.

Amazon.com: SHURflo 182-200 Pre-Pressurized Accumulator Tank: Automotive

I got mine on eBay for slightly less (not much less when you include shipping).

I buggered up the wall getting the filter out so the installation is not pretty or I would take a picture of it. It is a very crowded space with wires and pipes everywhere (which contributes A LOT to the noise). I hope to get some spare time to fix up that compartment one day.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #20

My filter is in a HUGE area under the storage area near the front bunk. I may even be able to fit a larger one. It is quite annoying how the pump cycles with even the smallest water useage. This is on my growing list of mods !!