Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #1

suburban NT - 30sp problems

I have a suburban NT 30 sp propane furnace. I have been having issues with it lately. It will come on, light supply heat for 2 to 10 minutes. It then shuts down and will not come back on unless I turn it off let it rest for thirty minutes restart and repeat. This evening I took the front panel off the furnace and ran it. I remained on, ran fine and cycled normally. I placed the panel cover back on and the problem started again. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Did you take the panel off the furnace, or did you just remove the grill off the wall for the air inlet? There is a difference. If you just pulled the grill off the wall, and it ran fine, sounds like the grill is to small, too small of an opening behind it, or something causing a restriction. Do you have anything in front of the grill like a trash can, clothes basket, etc,?

These furnaces must get a lot of air. Don't seem like they move much, but the intake can not be restricted. Sounds like you have a restricted intake causing an overheat, and the shut down. After it cools, it works again. Good Luck.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 AM   #3

I did not remove the fresh air intake panel I removed the actual metal cover panel from the interior. Once removed it runs fine. Which after what you've said makes a lot of sense. With the panel removed the furnace receives a lot more air and doesn't have a chance to over heat.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #4

And to clarify more I removed the metal panel on the front of the furnace not a an air register.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

On the flip side. The furnace must not only receive air, but be able to get rid of it. Put the intake panel back on, and remove the the duct work and see if it runs. Could be some blocked ducts preventing air from getting out. Once again, are any of the ducts blocked by trash cans, clothes baskets, etc. ?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBfs06 View Post
I have a suburban NT 30 sp propane furnace. I have been having issues with it lately. It will come on, light supply heat for 2 to 10 minutes. It then shuts down and will not come back on unless I turn it off let it rest for thirty minutes restart and repeat. This evening I took the front panel off the furnace and ran it. I remained on, ran fine and cycled normally. I placed the panel cover back on and the problem started again. Any ideas as to what the problem may be?
I am having this exact same issue with mine, it is only a year old and just started happening suddenly, I had a torn duct which I thought was the issue so I replaced the duct and the issue is still happening, but runs perfectly fine with the front cover off, I see this is an old post, please post what the solution was that you came up with to fix this ssue
Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #7

Your problem is that you are cycling off the limit switch. The torn duct has nothing to do with it. You could just need a new limit if it was working for a year. I would replace the limit and add a duct to your basement or cut another register in. The front cover you are talking about is where all your ducts connect correct? If you can with all the ducts connected wait til it happens again and put a meter 12v to the terminals on the limit should be 1 wire on each side. If it is open without a volt reading the limit is bad and needs replacing. It very well could have gone bad by not having a enough air flow being exhausted. As your unit starts to heat up the return air will increase in temp and cause that. But when it is cold inside the return temp will allow it to stay on. Sounds like a weak limit switch. THe cause is either not enough square inches of duct work coming off or just that your limit took a crap and just getting weaker. Also make sure that the blower is running at full speed, meaning full batteries. With the duct off you would reduce the static pressure and the blower would run faster moving more air over the limit switch. The limit is a Normally Closed switch. I would start there. I repaired HVAC for over 20 years and that is where I would start, always follow the power.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #8

now it is happening with the front cover off, less frequently but still happening.

with this model, the ducts r in the front sides right near the front cover

[edit] I found a 231244 limit switch for the furnace for $16 and will be replacing it and hopefully that fixes the issue
Old 02-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #9

I changed the limit switch and the same issue is happening
Old 02-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #10

Hmmm .... sounds to me like Suburban makes garbage appliances. In my case is the oven and tonight I note that my right rear burner is not lighting and is flopping around on the stove top. Will look at that in the light of day tomorrow. The oven will have to be addressed by the dealer. I my old Jayco I had a Atwood stove - what a champ! Worked workout any hitch from day one. Love my Flagstaff otherwise.

Now I will have to watch out for this furnace issue too, as I believe I to have a Suburban unit.

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote