Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #1

suburban oven doesn't stay lit

New. Tt, pilot lights ok,burner fires up. Runs for a few minutes and all. Goes out. Relight pilot and the same thing repeats. Anybody seen this and what's the cure
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

Bad or misadjusted thermalcouple. Without it the valve believes there is no flame and shuts the gas flow off as a safety measure.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
New. Tt, pilot lights ok,burner fires up. Runs for a few minutes and all. Goes out. Relight pilot and the same thing repeats. Anybody seen this and what's the cure
Make sure the thermocouple is in the flame from the pilot. The first 1/4" there is nothing there. Make sure that the other end is screwed in tight to the valve. If all else fails go to ACE or somewhere and buy a new one for about 10 bucks, they are all the same except for the length.... You could also have a bad valve but more then likely I would say what I wrote. You will see two dissimilar metals at the end, that what creates the magnet that opens the main valve.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

I can light the pilot and walk away for 20min or so,and it remains lit
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
The main valve is not holding open, still could be a weak thermocouple. Or your main burner is pulling the flame from the pilot light. So once you turn the valve from pilot to temp is when your problem pop's up. Leave your oven door open and watch what happens when it ignites the burner. You could be sucking it out if your out of alignment with the pilot and burner. You may need to adjust but it still might be the thermo....Cheaper then buying a new valve or a millivolt meter to measure what it is putting out in millivolts.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

Are you on the road? I've read that altitude can have an effect on propane appliances and the flame will go out. There might be enough oomph to keep the pilot going but anything more than that fails.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #7

Check out you supply hose as well. I used my Sanibel for 2 years and began having a simular issue and discovered the hose crimped (folded in half) where it looped under my slide. It allowed enough gas though to feed the pilot but not to burn any of the burners.
2Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

Because of the very low voltage produced by the thermocouple junction, electrical connectivity is critical. Something in there is loose making an intermittent connection so vibration (opening or closing the door) or heat (expansion/contraction) can make or break the connection.

Taking the thermocouple apart and putting it back together will fix this. Every couple of years my stick house furnace requires this fix.

At least it's a cheap fix.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

Check pilot flame alignment wit TC. Also when burner is on pilot flame should about double to hold valve open.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Our is doing the same thing. Pilot will stay lit when oven is cold but will go out after using the oven and turning the control back to pilot. Dealer has replaced thermo- coupler and the main manifold and still the same condition????
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #11

suburban oven doesnt stay lit

We - and several other RV friends - had the same problem with our new RV's Suburban oven. Bottom line is the oven's pilot light gas nozzle was manufactured with too small a hole for the gas flame. This is a fairly common factory problem with certain ovens. We telephoned the Suburban factory support line and they directed to a local warranty repair shop. That shop replaced the Suburban's pilot light assembly under warranty. Good news is Suburban ovens have a 2 year factory warranty.
RFKosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Jeff,

We - and several other owners of new Rockwoods (= Flagstaff) we know - had the same problem with Suburban oven. Bottom line was the oven's pilot light gas nozzle had been drilled with too small a hole for the gas flame. This is a recognized factory problem for certain ovens. We telephoned the Suburban factory support line and explained that the oven flame died after a few minutes. They directed to a local warranty mobile repair shop. That repair shop replaced the Suburban's pilot light assembly under warranty at out RV park site in FL. Good news is Suburban ovens have a 2 year factory warranty.
RFKosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKosar View Post
We - and several other RV friends - had the same problem with our new RV's Suburban oven. Bottom line is the oven's pilot light gas nozzle was manufactured with too small a hole for the gas flame. This is a fairly common factory problem with certain ovens. We telephoned the Suburban factory support line and they directed to a local warranty repair shop. That shop replaced the Suburban's pilot light assembly under warranty. Good news is Suburban ovens have a 2 year factory warranty.
This is what I found as well when my oven operated as described.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suburban