Old 08-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1

Super Lite 27RLWS - Garden Shower leak

We took delivery of our brand-spanking new unit a couple of days ago and are on our "shakedown" camping trip. Everything is working well and the trailer is as expected or better. Of course there are flaws in workmanship and finish and these are for the most part minor cosmetic - things to do to make the RV "perfect".

However, there were / are leaks between the bottom of the garden shower frame at bottom and the molded plastic tub that forms the base of the shower. Closer inspection shows that the clear silicone caulk applied there was only partially completed on both inside and outside of the frame for the non-door panels. You could tell that it was caulked so far (maybe 1/2 way) then the guy must have decided to stop for some reason. Then there is the plastic wall lining at the back 2 walls of the shower which extends down to the molded tub but is not sealed. What's with that also.

So, I had my second mod for this trailer, which is actually not a mod at all but a "fix". I added caulking tape along the base of the back wall lining and applied clear silicone caulk inside and outside of the base of the side panel frames. Took another shower and checked afterwards for leaks. Yep - still there was a leak towards a corner that "appeared" to be caulked from the factory. So now I am drying the shower in preparation for fixing this remaining location.

Then DW told me that if she pressed down on the bottom of the door frame she could see some water "squeezing out" between that frame and the tub. So I will apply caulk there also. Come to think of it I will be caulking everywhere I did not caulk yesterday, whether or not the factory caulked it.

Then when this is cured I will forward photos as well as a letter to Forest River advising them of this nonsense. A person should not have to do this. It is a bathroom for goodness sake, and it should be sealed properly at the factory! But then I have been an RVer for a while now and have come to expect issues like this in construction. Lets HOPE that is the only issue that I will face.

2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #2

UPDATE - Apparently the issue is resolved as there are no more leaks. When I write to FR I will have to include that the lens for the left front side marker lamp "fell off" while driving home from the dealer. While it is a small issue, it still is an irritation nonetheless. This on a $35+k trailer.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
UPDATE - Apparently the issue is resolved as there are no more leaks. When I write to FR I will have to include that the lens for the left front side marker lamp "fell off" while driving home from the dealer. While it is a small issue, it still is an irritation nonetheless. This on a $35+k trailer.
My friend has a (100.500$) motor home and his Tailight burnt out! Youroo!!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #4

Bulb burnout is expected. Lenses should not fall off.

Tags
leak, show, shower