Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #21

Possible Exaggeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Is it possible that trc units fail after the ONE year warranty and then no one postd about having to return it to be fixed?

I'm on this forum a little bit and I see a few posts, I've not read "large amounts" units failing such as you elude to.
It is natural for people to complain when something cost them some (unexpected) money, so I would expect that if somebody's TRC failed, we would hear about it. I post and read on many forums and I have never seen such a post, but I have seen the posts regarding the PI units failing and being replaced with no questions asked. Don't get me wrong, I think PI is great for having such a policy, but I m afraid it is implemented more often than it should be.

You are correct. There are not a large amount of posts -- that is an exaggeration -- there are several, however. I am sorry for the misleading statement.

Bruce
Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHipychk View Post
So we should hardwire it in instead of having a portable unit ?
Anyone discussing surges without listing each and different separately is speculating. For example, a hardwired unit is popular because it protects from the more common surges. And does absolutely nothing for a completely different surge called lightning.

Only protector that can provide lightning protection must be as close as possible to a power pole's earth ground.

Low voltage is a surge that does not damage any electronics. But many recommend a surge protector that cuts of power during low voltage - to protect electronics from low voltage. Low voltage protection is for motorized appliances. But again, a completely different anomaly called a surge.

Your question cannot be answered until you list which typed of surges you want to protect from.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:43 AM   #23

I bought my portable PI EMS 30 back in 2009. When I upgraded trailers I didn't have to buy a new one since it is portable.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #24

Bought this the day we picked up the lite.
No trouble with it or power issues.
Just plug it in, it does a pre test and then if you get a green light you are good to go.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Anyone discussing surges without listing each and different separately is speculating. For example, a hardwired unit is popular because it protects from the more common surges. And does absolutely nothing for a completely different surge called lightning.

Only protector that can provide lightning protection must be as close as possible to a power pole's earth ground.

Low voltage is a surge that does not damage any electronics. But many recommend a surge protector that cuts of power during low voltage - to protect electronics from low voltage. Low voltage protection is for motorized appliances. But again, a completely different anomaly called a surge.

Your question cannot be answered until you list which typed of surges you want to protect from.

Thank you for clarifying, here is a real world example.
We stayed at a campground last year more on the far end of the power line. Everyone had their AC's running on a hot afternoon when the voltage dropped to unsafe levels, our SurgeGuard shut down and the inverter took over to run the fridge in our trailer where the neighbours didn't have a surge protector and both their AC's fried. I don't care what brand as long as it protects me, and when lightnings strikes I'd rather have my portable that stops the surge at the pedestal and not inside my trailer.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Bought this the day we picked up the lite.
No trouble with it or power issues.
Just plug it in, it does a pre test and then if you get a green light you are good to go.
Yep, that's my SurgeGuard
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post

So the Progressive Industries unit that is so wildly popular here offers no protection from lightning in the hardwired version?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #28

Ok. So it sounds like portable is a great option and seems to cover more "power changes"
GAHipychk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHipychk View Post
So we should hardwire it in instead of having a portable unit ?
The portable unit is the same and much easier. The portable just plugs in. The hard wired might be an issue if you are uncomfortable doing electrical work ( cutting the power wires) and hooking it up.
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 AM   #30

Thanks crunchman. My husband is handy but I like the idea of portable. And seems like it's better when protecting from lightening strikes.
GAHipychk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfloyd View Post
What type do I need to look for , 30 amp bumper pull FR 831 RKSS. I looked on Amazon . They start at 80.00 -- 350.00 ??
You might want to look at this recent thread I started:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-87886.html

You will see Progressive seems to be the leader. I bought the portable 30 am unit.

Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

Not at all sorry I did, it is a very well nice unit. Has a heavy metal ring I added a heavy chain and lock so I can secure it to the post to keep it from walking away. All you do is plug it in and let it run thru one check. When you see a code E0 plug your trailer in. That code, E0, means everything is good. It will constantly run thru its cycle constantly checking everything.

When you think about it, it is cheap insurance and has a life time warrantee. There are less expensive good units out there but are not guaranteed for life. That is what sold me on this one.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
So the Progressive Industries unit that is so wildly popular here offers no protection from lightning in the hardwired version?
Progressive is popular because it addresses other common and problematic anomalies. Such a slightly too high or too low voltage.

Surge protection from lightning (and equivalent transients) means specifications say where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. This number does not only apply to camper protectors. This number also applies to those near zero power strips so many use throughout the house. Near zero is why those protectors also have a history of creating fires. And why a third (completely different) protector is needed for homes.

Another anomaly, for example, is reverse polarity. That causes no damage to any appliance. But reverse polarity means a decrease in human safety. Again, even feature may or may not be in completely different devices - all called surge protectors.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
I'd bet it's a 50 amp unit, but if not, you can get the 50 amp one and use an adapter
Find out what it is and get the correct one. If it is 30 get a 30. Not all parks have 50 amp service. Do things the right way and you will never regret it.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote