Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #1

Surge protectors?

Own a 8529IKBS with dual A/C....thus 50 amp service. Been wondering about a surge protector, but the reviews I've seen to this point are very mixed. Was wondering what the consensus on this was here, and what (if any) brand preference there might be.

dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #2

I saw that too. That's why I went with one that is external and plugs in at the pedistal. I figured if something happened and I needed to replace it I wouldn't need to tear into the camper wiring to replace it.

I have a 30a and am happy with it so far (using it for a year and a few months now..

Technology Research Surge Guard 34830 Portable Model with LCD Display - 30 Amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36Q7R2..._NyUABb9A99D34

007matman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #3

This is the 50A..

Technology Research Surge Guard 34850 Portable Model with LCD Display - 50 Amp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36QHUO..._YAUABb6A24E64
Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Best surge protector isn’t one, the best option is an EMS:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #5

You really want more than just surge protection. I would recommend this one.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
You really want more than just surge protection. I would recommend this one.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X
X2. We use one of these and feel very secure with it. Identifies poorly wired park pedestals as well as over and under voltage protection.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I have a plug-in 30-amp surge protector that I've been using for 3 1/2 years and love it!

https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...tectors-30-amp

It has saved my bacon a couple of times just this year alone already!

I typically plug it in to the pedestal without the power cord plugged in and flip the circuit on to see what the LED lights tell me first before I plug the 5'ver in.

I have an internal unit that I plan to install when the cooler temps arrive and will still use the plug-in unit along with that.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

most people here agree that the Progressive Industries EMS are the way to go with a lifetime warranty. Not only do they prevent power spikes, but they also shut off when you have low voltage, an all to common issue in campgrounds, as just as likely to destroy your electronics
Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #9

Looks like the EMS PT50x is the way to go. A bit spendy, but probably the best choice. Thanks for the replys.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #10

There are some passionate opinions on this. I ended up with the one I bought because some were saying it was better and some of the people that bought the EMS unit were having issues at the time.

I'm not going to argue with anyone about it though..

Do your research and read the reviews (Amazon is my favorite).

Both surge protectors mentioned (including the one I bought) include similar features and are around the same price. Not cheap but good thing to have in case something happens.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

My Progressive saved my butt just yesterday. Hooked up to CG 50 amp campsite, waited the ~~2 minutes and it clicked on. Wife turned on A/C (it was 110 degrees here in Walla Walla,WA) and the Progressive immediately cut off. Tried it again, same thing. Voltage was okay at no load, but went below 90 when load applied. With no Progressive I am not sure we would have noticed and who knows what would have happened to the A/C units.
We moved to another site and no problems.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Thanks for sharing that Tom.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 AM   #13

You need either a surge protector or an EMS.

The main difference is EMS will protect your rig from low voltage. With all the electronics on these rigs, we opted for the EMS.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #14

EMS and tire pressure monitoring are both mandatory as far as I am concerned. Both have saved my butt more than once.
Don't leave home without them.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #15

I also use the Surge Guard 30amp EMS portable. I'd say the only thing the Progressive Industries model has that is actually better is the warranty but I haven't really read the fine print on both warrantees, so, I can't vouch that it's functionally better.

I am convinced that I've already saved money by spending more on the EMS type of protection.
emaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #16

I will give the unpopular side of the discussion

Given, a surge protector or ems can be good insurance. But are they mandatory or problem free?

Several (five I believe) in our large RV group decided to buy EMS for their rigs as the amount of electronics grew. The rest of us decided to watch and wait and keep using our multimeters to check unknown pedestals before plugging in. And yes, I know that doesn't help with surges or low voltage, but that's not a major concern for most of us.

Three of our group still use the ems. The others (who travel more) sold them as they turned out to be more of a PITA than help. They got tired of all the power outages in their rig caused by false alarms or sensitivity of the ems. The ems would alarm, they would lose power, and they would call the park manager who would find no problem. Reset, repeat.

And I realize, if you already bought one, you are going to say it has saved you numerous times. But has it really? Who really knows.

We chose not to buy one. Always something else better to spend $$$ on. And we have traveled all over the states and, knock on wood, never had an electrical problem. And in our travels, we have found very few fellow campers who actually use them.

So, if it electric hookups worry you, buy one, might be worth the peace of mind. But they are not a cure-all.
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #17

Scott....this is what I was getting at the start. The reviews I was seeing were very mixed and you summed it up pretty well. If an EMS makes you sleep better, by all means get one. Can there be a downside....apparently.

Now....how well have I been sleeping?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

PI-EMS protects your RV from more than surge and low voltage conditions. Many people do not know the difference between a power surge and a high voltage condition.

A Surge is the sudden input of voltage that consists of voltages that last a few milliseconds and can be up to several thousand volts. The surge protection circuit will divert this sudden voltage input, thus protecting any thing on the output side of the unit. This condition can be caused by lightening strikes, power transformer failure, shut down of high amperage appliances, or many RV'ers disconnecting power at the same time. This condition can also be caused by the air conditioners of several RV's cycling off at the same time.

A High Voltage condition is the gradual rise of the incoming voltage to values higher than 132 volts. This condition can last from a few seconds to hours. This condition can be caused by power source problems such as power generation problems, power tranmission problems and transformer failures where they are suppling output higher than normal.

A Low Voltage condition is the drop in supplied power. This condition is normally caused by the power supplier not keeping up with the demand.

A Surge Gard brand of EMS needs to be returned to the manufacturer for service in case of failure.

A Progressive Industries Hard Wired EMS has replacable moduals, you don't need to send the unit back for service.

Below is the features of the PI-EMS.

High/Low Voltage Protection
Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or drops below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.
Time Delay for A/C Compressor
If AC power is interrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built in time delay is activated. There are two settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136-second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.
5 Mode Surge Protection
This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-L and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3,580 and 88,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.
Surge Indicator
In the event of a power surge and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates that the EMS needs to be serviced.
Reverse Polarity Protection
If AC power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E1.
Open Neutral Protection
If AC power has an open neutral condition, the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.
Open Ground Protection
If AC power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E2, and power will not be allowed to the RV.
AC Frequency Protection
If AC power frequency deviates plus/minus 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down AC power. An Error Code of E7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an Error Code of E8 will be displayed when frequency is low.
Accidental 240V Protection
If 240 volts is detected when plugging into AC power, the EMS will NOT allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and E-3 for the error. (NEVER BYPASS THE EMS WHEN THIS OCCURS.)
Remote Display
Continuously scrolls the AC power information, including voltage, current, frequency, error codes and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for two (2) seconds.
Previous Error Code
This feature tells the user what the previous error was and why power was interrupted to the RV. To read a Previous Error Code, put a “P” in front of the “E” code. This is only displayed if an actual error occurs. The error is deleted when the power is disconnected from the EMS. .
Bypass
This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, this allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.
Modular Design
Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
Microprocessor Controlled
The computer and remote display are driven by state of the art microprocessors that are programmed with software to drive the entire EMS unit.

Error Code Chart
E-0 Normal Condition
E-1 Reverse Polarity Condition (hot and neutral wires reversed)
E-2 Open Ground (ground wire is not connected)
E-3 Line 1 Voltage High (Line voltage above 132)
E-4 Line 1 Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts)
E-5 Line 2 Voltage High (Line voltage above 132) - not available on 30 Amp models.
E-6 Line 2 Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts) - not available on 30 Amp models.
E-7 Line Frequency High (Line frequency above 69 cycles per second)
E-8 Line Frequency Low (Line frequency below 51 cycles per second)
E-9 Data Link Down - Remote Display models only.
E-10 Replace Surge Protector Module
NOTE: If the EMS cuts the power to the RV it will show a PE code following the E code. This denotes the previous error or why the EMS shut down. Example: The EMS cuts power for low voltage on Line 1, and then the power is restored. The Error Code reads E0, but the PE code reads PE4 which tells the user low voltage was the reason for the EMS previously cutting power. This PE error code will be deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #19

Scrapper....you don't seem too confused to me
Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #20

My travel partner has had a P I 50 amp for several years. Last year someone drove into the 5er and totaled it. He removed the P I 50 but left the data link thinking it look like a normal phone line. Wrong! But a call to P.I. and he got a new data link line plus updated card for his built-in unit. Great company to work with.

Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote