Old 05-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #31

FWIW...the 3.0 is definitely capable of 5.1 provided the input provides it and the speaker setup is done correctly.
Reading the manual, It appears that only an optical or coax input (not both) can provide 5.1 sound to the 3.0.
So..if the TV has an optical output and another external device has an optical output...you either have to choose whether you want your antenna/satTV sound to be outputted from the TV or whether you want 5.1 from the other device. It looks like the DVD should output 5.1 through the speaker setup. And the TV COULD input 5.1 or a satellite receiver could input 5.1 if they have optical or coax digital outputs. Instead of being stuck with choosing....
You can invest $15 bucks in a switch and select which optical you want to use based on the source. Example of optical switch:
Amazon.com: Nyrius SW100 Digital Audio Optical Toslink 3 Input Selector Switch Compatible with Fiber Optic Cables, HDTV, Blu-ray DVD player, PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, XBOX360, PS3: Electronics

(For the uninitiated...Toslink and S/pdif connectors are used interchangeably and are both optical , no loss digital signal cables and adapters exist to connect one to the other.
The other alternative is coaxial (wire) digital cables. You need to select a cable based on the equipment you own and the available outputs and inputs since not everyone includes both.) You can get both kinds of cable at the local Radio shack or Best Buy type outlets or on line at Amazon and lots of other places. Don't pay extra for "high definition" cables in this situation. )
If you have COAX wire digital connectors then any old video switcher will do to switch between sources. Use the YELLOW jacks.

Note this suggestion is based on my reading of the manual and my professional experience and NOT from any hands on experience with this unit. Take it with a grain of salt!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
It appears that only an optical or coax input (not both) can provide 5.1 sound to the 3.0.
Thanks! I did not catch that it was an either/or on the COAX/Optical port.
It is also not clear which selection (AU?) controls them.

So the SPDIF switch in audio setup switches between the two sources.

The Toshiba TV I have only has RCA L/R outputs so, like everyone else, I am stuck with "simulated" surround sound from the TV stations (even though some transmit in surround sound - like the Simpsons).

One day I will upgrade the TV and will definitely be using the SPDIF connection. The DVD player in the G3 is already plays in surround sound so the movies are not effected.

Using an external DVD Player you would need to run digital out to get Dolby to the G3; otherwise you get "theater" simulated surround. Got it ...

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #33

Yup...that's how I read it Herk... Don't get my coach for another month but I'll be sure to play with it some if it has the G3 to confirm. In the meantime, hopefully others with the G3 can report on their experience.

Ultimately, all of this will be replaced by simple HDMI connections which can carry full 5.1 or 7.1 or uncompressed stereo along with or instead of video. Life will be less "interesting" but I don't think the RV industry will lead this change!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Yup...that's how I read it Herk... Don't get my coach for another month but I'll be sure to play with it some if it has the G3 to confirm. In the meantime, hopefully others with the G3 can report on their experience.

Ultimately, all of this will be replaced by simple HDMI connections which can carry full 5.1 or 7.1 or uncompressed stereo along with or instead of video. Life will be less "interesting" but I don't think the RV industry will lead this change!
You are correct with the HDMI installed and audio jacks you get 5.1 surround sound. I had to buy the HDMI and the dealer installed it and I think removed the yellow RCA cable, it was 2 years ago. I would have go out and look. They told me I still needed the audio ones. I do get 5.1 or dolby with DVD's, I do get plain sound out of all speakers watching TV or listening to the Radio.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You are correct with the HDMI installed and audio jacks you get 5.1 surround sound. I had to buy the HDMI and the dealer installed it and I think removed the yellow RCA cable, it was 2 years ago. I would have go out and look. They told me I still needed the audio ones. I do get 5.1 or dolby with DVD's, I do get plain sound out of all speakers watching TV or listening to the Radio.
GLJ...that makes sense and insures that you not only get 5.1 from your DVDs but also that you get the best picture from them since HDMI passes all of their info rather than the limited "yellow" plug.
Sould you add in the future, a blue ray player or a satellite dish box...make sure they have the Toslink optical connector so that they can be directly hooked up to the G3 optical audio input and also give you 5.1. Their HDMI inputs should be hooked up directly to the TV since there is no HDMI input on the back of the G3. If you don't have enough HDMI inputs on the back of the TV...there are HDMI switchboxes that are pretty cheap and let you combine multiple sources in to a single TV HDMI input.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #36

Quote:
GLJ...that makes sense and insures that you not only get 5.1 from your DVDs but also that you get the best picture from them since HDMI passes all of their info rather than the limited "yellow" plug.
Sould you add in the future, a blue ray player or a satellite dish box...make sure they have the Toslink optical connector so that they can be directly hooked up to the G3 optical audio input and also give you 5.1. Their HDMI inputs should be hooked up directly to the TV since there is no HDMI input on the back of the G3. If you don't have enough HDMI inputs on the back of the TV...there are HDMI switchboxes that are pretty cheap and let you combine multiple sources in to a single TV HDMI input.
I have 2 HDMI spots behind the TV and 1 behind the Genesis 3.0 on the bottom that it is plugged into. Thanks for all the info, ...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 05-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You are correct with the HDMI installed and audio jacks you get 5.1 surround sound.
I think you missed his point. The "audio jack" he was talking about was the SINGLE COAX or Optical output on the TV and not the two red/white stereo ones.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I think you missed his point. The "audio jack" he was talking about was the SINGLE COAX or Optical output on the TV and not the two red/white stereo ones.
I guess I did herk, but I know it works the way the dealer hooked it up on DVD's only. I really know zero about electronics and less about tablets and computers. All I know is that they took out the yellow rca jack and plugged in the HDMI from the TV to the GT 3.0. in the rear of the unit. I even had to buy a 90 degree adapter to fit the TV. I'm happy with just the DVD, I don't watch much TV only the news and a DVD now and then. I rather drink beer and look at the stars.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #39

GLJ...let me see if I can clear it up.
1. TheHDMI connection your dealer put in when he removed the yellow rca jack connects the picture produced inside the DVD player to your TV. Nothing travels FROM your TV to the DVD player when the DVD is playing. The sound produced from the DVD goes to the 5.1 amplifier inside the G3 and on out to the speakers.
2.When you play REGULAR TV...the picture & sound comes into the TV from cable or satellite or your rooftop antenna. The sound is then sent out of your TV in STEREO on a red wire (right)and a white wire (left) and plugged into one of the appropriate inputs on the G3 which then sends it ONLY in stereo to whichever of the three rooms STEREO speakers you choose.
3. It is POSSIBLE that if you are using a satellite dish box...that could be sending digital 5.1 audio (when available) to the coax digital or optical inputs on the G3...BUT, from your descriptions I doubt it very much.

Hope that clears it up a bit. As for me...in the RV I intend to be just like you and spend very little time worrying about a fairly crappy sound system inside the coach, very little time with the TV on, very little time watching a DVD.
Under the stars in the quiet sounds pretty damn good to me...though I reserve the right to close my eyes, put the super phones on and listen to my Zune...so I don't disturb YOU!!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #40

Quote:
GLJ...let me see if I can clear it up.
1. TheHDMI connection your dealer put in when he removed the yellow rca jack connects the picture produced inside the DVD player to your TV. Nothing travels FROM your TV to the DVD player when the DVD is playing. The sound produced from the DVD goes to the 5.1 amplifier inside the G3 and on out to the speakers.
2.When you play REGULAR TV...the picture & sound comes into the TV from cable or satellite or your rooftop antenna. The sound is then sent out of your TV in STEREO on a red wire (right)and a white wire (left) and plugged into one of the appropriate inputs on the G3 which then sends it ONLY in stereo to whichever of the three rooms STEREO speakers you choose.
3. It is POSSIBLE that if you are using a satellite dish box...that could be sending digital 5.1 audio (when available) to the coax digital or optical inputs on the G3...BUT, from your descriptions I doubt it very much.

Hope that clears it up a bit. As for me...in the RV I intend to be just like you and spend very little time worrying about a fairly crappy sound system inside the coach, very little time with the TV on, very little time watching a DVD.
Under the stars in the quiet sounds pretty damn good to me...though I reserve the right to close my eyes, put the super phones on and listen to my Zune...so I don't disturb YOU!!
Thanks that is the exact way that mine is hooked up. I'm not worried about the TV or stereo system. Maybe at a later date I might want to do what you said would be possible, but I'm happy with just the Surround sound when I play a DVD. Thanks again for your help. I always thought I had it hooked up correctly for the 5.1 when I play a DVD. If I want I can listen to the TV through the speakers but I know that it is not 5.1 just plane old 5 speakers instead of the sound coming from the TV only. You have been very helpful.....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k