Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I guess I did herk, but I know it works the way the dealer hooked it up on DVD's only. I really know zero about electronics and less about tablets and computers. All I know is that they took out the yellow rca jack and plugged in the HDMI from the TV to the GT 3.0. in the rear of the unit. I even had to buy a 90 degree adapter to fit the TV. I'm happy with just the DVD, I don't watch much TV only the news and a DVD now and then. I rather drink beer and look at the stars.
The HDMI from the Concertone/Genesis is required to get HD VIDEO from the DVD player to the TV (otherwise you get standard -crappy- video). The Surround sound comes right from the DVD, through the radio to the speakers and the TV is not involved at all except to show the video (you can even mute the TV because the radio is handling the surround sound).

The issue being discussed here, is if there is an over the air or cable channel or show being broadcast in surround sound (like the Simpsons). In this case, the TV is the origin of the audio (and not the radio). To get that digital audio to the radio (so you get the surround signals), you must use a digital connection.

Some TV's (like mine) do not have a digital output (so I need to do like you do and use the analog stereo L/R RCA (white/red) audio connection from the TV to the radio. This will get you your 5 speakers working, but it will not be surround sound, just the same L/R channels from 2 left and 2 right speakers with a mixed center channel and some lower frequencies routed to your subwoofer.

Herk

ACK! This is what I get when I "reply" from an email link. Camaraderie covered it very well. My apologies. Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #42

For true 5.1 SS, you need you need to have both the HDMI cable from and the optical cable from the TV to the Genesis. Once that connection is made, turn the TV's speakers off.
I noticed from the dealer that they only installed the HDMI and the red and white RCA cables. This will only give you L/R stereo to your A/B/C speaker zones. I needed to add my own optical cable. On the back of The Genesis in that mass of wires, there was a small black box attached. This has the "dog house" shaped input connection. These inputs are usually covered for protection but the cover over the holes is designed to fold into the hole when the end of the optical cable is inserted. Just push the cables in until they click.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:58 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

I found this great photo of the TV digital audio outputs required to send broadcast surround sound signals from the TV to the Concertone ZX-600 and Genesis units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33952.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	52747   Click image for larger version

Name:	_TOSLINK.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	52748  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #44

i was told ours would only work with the radio also i had a flagstaff before and thought it was odd it worked on the old one and not the new so i did a little playing and found tv plays through it on AV2 setting but for some reason i have to switch it back to av1 then back to the av2 for it to work but it sounds good
Old 05-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I found this great photo of the TV digital audio outputs required to send broadcast surround sound signals from the TV to the Concertone ZX-600 and Genesis units.
Excellent...the only think missing ...a digital coax audio cable is herewith supplied:

Though this may LOOK like a standard RCA connection... the one key difference is that it is a 75 ohm cable. Don't spend a lot of money for this as there is NO difference in the transmission of 1's and 0's over any 75 ohm cable...but DON'T use standard red & white audio cables since they are not typically 75 ohms. If you still have a YELLOW RCA jack wire that you used to hook up to video inputs...that IS a 75 ohm cable and will work fine.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #46

Well thanks to Cam and Herk I now have my HDMI and Toslink installed. I have it all set now for dolby digital and HDMI. Great sound coming out. They tell me the base speaker is under the entertainment center. Be damn if I can hear it or feel any vibration down there. Thanks for all your help. And Cam thanks for the step by step instructions you emailed me. How that 8.8 just born grandson doing? Congradulations.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #47

Oh that's great that it all worked out GLJ....it's always dicey when you're giving advice on a system you've never seen!
Anyway...I expect that will have been good practice for whatever come on mine in a couple of weeks!.... Thanks..."Little Joe" is doing great and I have his place in the coach all picked out!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well thanks to Cam and Herk I now have my HDMI and Toslink installed. I have it all set now for dolby digital and HDMI. Great sound coming out. They tell me the base speaker is under the entertainment center. Be damn if I can hear it or feel any vibration down there. Thanks for all your help. And Cam thanks for the step by step instructions you emailed me. How that 8.8 just born grandson doing? Congradulations.
Don't know about yours, but I can reach over the little wall at the back of the entertainment centre, and feel the speaker itself. Mine wasn't working either. I put in "Twister". If a hurricane doesn't move the subwoofer, nothing will.

I had to pull the wall out, and found the subwoofer wasn't connected.

Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote