Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Surround sound from genesis unit

I recently purchased a 2014 flagsttaff model 27bess. It has 3 speaker zones and one of them has surround sound in the living area of the camper. I was told when i purchased the trailer that the surround sound would work with the tv and dvd. Once i got it home that appeared to not be true. I have taken the camper back for other issues to be repaired and mentioned this at tome of service. The service techs are telling me that the surround sound only works with the radio only. Is this true?
Waxinmyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Surround sound from the radio requires the audio to be routed through the system to be decoded.

The internal DVD player and radio are surround sound capable. If you can route the digital audio from the TV to the back of the radio, the TV's surround signal can also be decoded.

Your must use the digital inputs on the back of the radio and it will only be played in the living room. You can't get surround sound from 2 speakers with this setup only the 5.1 speaker system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZX-800 connections.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	52353  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GT-3.0-5-4.pdf (1.89 MB, 79 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxinmyboat View Post
I recently purchased a 2014 flagsttaff model 27bess. It has 3 speaker zones and one of them has surround sound in the living area of the camper. I was told when i purchased the trailer that the surround sound would work with the tv and dvd. Once i got it home that appeared to not be true. I have taken the camper back for other issues to be repaired and mentioned this at tome of service. The service techs are telling me that the surround sound only works with the radio only. Is this true?
NO!

Our surround sound works GREAT with DVD's! Our sub-woofer is in the cabinet below the Genesis. The Genesis is hooked up to the TV via HDMI cable.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

I have 5 speakers in zone A the main area, I get SS with the TV and DVD and radio. Something is not hooked up correctly or not connected. It worked with just RCA cables but Now I also have HDMI that I installed.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #5

It is all hooked up correctly with the hdmi to the tv and receiver itself. I have a feeling it is the receiver or not wired up correctIy. Just wanted to make sure these service techs weren't blowing smoke up my you know what.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxinmyboat View Post
It is all hooked up correctly with the hdmi to the tv and receiver itself. I have a feeling it is the receiver or not wired up correctIy. Just wanted to make sure these service techs weren't blowing smoke up my you know what.
I'm going to have my technician (my 25 year old son) do some tweaking on mine in the next week or so. If there's something you need to see how things should be hooked up, let me know and I'll have him take some pictures.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

It is my understanding that you still need the RCA cables hook-up.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the help
Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Take The Road Less Travld

Surround sound from genesis unit

I have a 2013 Roo with the genesis radio. The regular tv will work with the surround sound but it is plugged into the av (RCA or headphone jack) port on the back of the tv. Make sure you have this plugged in and the radio is on one of the av inputs. I think mine is on av4
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It is my understanding that you still need the RCA cables hook-up.
It is my understanding that TV output using the red/white RCA plugs will not be true surround sound. The Concertone has a "theater" setting the will output left/right stereo audio to the back speakers with a 0.5 second delay to "simulate" surround sound; but it is not.

ONLY the digital output TVs (with COAX or Toslink) can send the Dolby signals to the Concertone (or any other amplifier).
Old 05-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Take The Road Less Travld

Yeah, then I don't think I have true surround sound. But it works better than the little speaker on the tv
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
Yeah, then I don't think I have true surround sound. But it works better than the little speaker on the tv
Amen to that!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
It is my understanding that TV output using the red/white RCA plugs will not be true surround sound. The Concertone has a "theater" setting the will output left/right stereo audio to the back speakers with a 0.5 second delay to "simulate" surround sound; but it is not.

ONLY the digital output TVs (with COAX or Toslink) can send the Dolby signals to the Concertone (or any other amplifier).
Thanks Lou, but now you are talking past my pay range.....

Old 05-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Thanks Lou, but now you are talking past my pay range.....
They say a picture is worth something, so here is a link to what I am talking about.

Toslink Socket - Buy Toslink Socket,Digital To Analog Audio Converter,Analog To Digital Audio Converter Product on Alibaba.com

The "dog house" shaped "door" is an optical socket (Toslink) and takes a fiberoptic cable (photo of ends attached). There may be one on the back of your TV and there is one on the back (not front) of the Genesis and ZX-800 Concertone radios.

The TV may also have a yellow/orange single RCA jack. This is a COAX digital audio output. There is a marked Digital RCA socket (female) on the back (not front) of the Genesis and ZX-800 Concertone radios. This can be used with a single shielded RCA Male to male audio cable as long as it is well shielded (or buy a shieled one at Best Buy).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33952.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	52362  
Old 05-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They say a picture is worth something, so here is a link to what I am talking about.

Toslink Socket - Buy Toslink Socket,Digital To Analog Audio Converter,Analog To Digital Audio Converter Product on Alibaba.com

The "dog house" shaped "door" is an optical socket (Toslink) and takes a fiberoptic cable (photo of ends attached). There may be one on the back of your TV and there is one on the back (not front) of the Genesis and ZX-800 Concertone radios.

The TV may also have a yellow/orange single RCA jack. This is a COAX digital audio output. There is a marked Digital RCA socket (female) on the back (not front) of the Genesis and ZX-800 Concertone radios. This can be used with a single shielded RCA Male to male audio cable as long as it is well shielded (or buy a shieled one at Best Buy).

I think it depends on which Genesis he has. The GT-2.0 in ours has both a Toslink and a COAX but they are for output, not input. I can't send a digital signal into the GT-2.0. Instead I wired RCAs to carry the stereo sound back to the Genesis. I won't have true surround sound, but at least I have some sound when watching over the air or from an iDevice hooked up to the HDMI of the TV.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Kaadk- Depending on how well the Gensis decodes dolby they RCA may provide some rear channel decoding with RCA. I have both hooked up, with the Optical full surround is possible. With the AC on you can not hear the difference so I just us RCA connections for audio most of they time from the TV. My sat receiver feeds the TV as well so this gets to the Genesis via RCA feed.
Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Kaadk- Depending on how well the Gensis decodes dolby they RCA may provide some rear channel decoding with RCA. I have both hooked up, with the Optical full surround is possible. With the AC on you can not hear the difference so I just us RCA connections for audio most of they time from the TV. My sat receiver feeds the TV as well so this gets to the Genesis via RCA feed.
Brian

Yeah, I believe there is 'some' decoding, but the speakers are so cheap I don't think it makes much of a difference. Are you using Toslink with a GT-2.0 or a 3.0? My Konka TV only has COAX audio out so that was all I could try hooking up. But much like I figured based on the manual only referring to output settings on the GT-2.0, it didn't work.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I think it depends on which Genesis he has. The GT-2.0 in ours has both a Toslink and a COAX but they are for output, not input. I can't send a digital signal into the GT-2.0. Instead I wired RCAs to carry the stereo sound back to the Genesis. I won't have true surround sound, but at least I have some sound when watching over the air or from an iDevice hooked up to the HDMI of the TV.
Can you upload a scan of the page that has the rear connections? I don't have a digital manual for a Genesis 1.0 or 2.0. (Uploading the manuals would be awesome!)

As far as I know, the digital connections are inputs. There would be no reason for there to be digital outputs since the speakers connect up to the unit. Not saying you are wrong (I have no facts to say that), just that it would not make any sense to me for them to be digital outs.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Can you upload a scan of the page that has the rear connections? I don't have a digital manual for a Genesis 1.0 or 2.0. (Uploading the manuals would be awesome!)

As far as I know, the digital connections are inputs. There would be no reason for there to be digital outputs since the speakers connect up to the unit. Not saying you are wrong (I have no facts to say that), just that it would not make any sense to me for them to be digital outs.
The original's sitting in the TT in storage, but I got my digital copy from here:

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/m...11.26.2011.pdf

It's the same as the one in my TT.

It doesn't specifically label them as input/output but page 25 that shows the audio setup refers to an Audio Out setting. Combined with my trial and error on the COAX I can only assume they're for output only.

I figure the outputs are there to support sending to an external processor/amp if you didn't want to use the onboard speakers.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #20

I guess I'm still confused. Just went out to the trailer put on tv to video. turned on the Genesis 3.0 / TV is Toshiba. Used the CD Seabiscutt. You can hear the difference in each speaker as the horses run the sound comes out the rear speakers while the people talking comes from the center and front. You can hear the difference from the speakers isn't that surround sound. The dealer said and left the RCA cables attached and installed a HDMI cable. Maybe I don't know what surround sound is? It is set to 5.1 or I can switch it to Doby Sound or stereo or mono. I have 5 speakers in the ceiling and a sub-woofer in the entertainment center. Just in my Solon main area which is A. You can even hear the horses hoofs running as they will travel in a circle around the front and back with music coming out the center speaker.