Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Make sure that your chains are crossed! Right chain to left side of tow vehicle, left chain to right side of tow vehicle. This too could help in the sway situation depending on the length of your chains?
Crossing chains wont do a thing on most trailers as they are usually connected to the frame at the same point. May make people THINK it will help if the hitch fails but the only part of the chains "crossed" are the last link or two. If the chains are connected to opposite sides of the trailer frame, only then will crossing help. I think U-Haul did this but my last three trailers, spanning 47 years, were connected to the frame at a single point right behind the coupler.

Even then, crossed chains do nothing to prevent sway.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Even then, crossed chains do nothing to prevent sway.
Exactly!

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #43

Chains should be slack (and crossed) to hold onto the trailer when the tongue comes off the ball. They don't influence sway whatsoever since they're slack. Crossing them catches the tongue if it comes off the ball preventing it from digging into the pavement.

The electric brake break-away cable should be long enough to only engage when the coupler AND chains fail. A complete disconnect. I.e. - the last link in the safety devices.

-- Chuck
Old 08-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #44
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Even though I agree with all said about crossing safety chains... many states REQUIRE you to do so, including my home state of PA.

Here is the statute...
(d) "Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning."
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #45

A Hensley Arrow would completely solve the problem

If nothing else works, get a Hensley Arrow hitch. I had a 1996 Ford Explorer and a 30 ft Nomad that we would not use in winds above 10 mp and on the expressways it was always white knuckle for trucks going by. The Hensley Arrow made a truly unbelievable difference. I totally stopped checking my mirrors to see if a truck was coming - only about 5% of the time did I ever even feel a very slight effect. I still use the Arrow with my Dodge Hemi and 32 footer and would not use anything else. Yes, it's not cheap but the results are very very real. And no, I have absolutely no financial involvement with Hensley.
rdavidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #46

These are great posts! I have a question for everyone who responded to the initial post: What would you consider as too much sway ?
Also, as a side note... I notice that I feel much more of a sway effect when I get passed by Ryder or U-Haul panel trucks or certain mid sized cars that go whizzing by at 80 or more mph. Sometimes busses or bus shaped RVís, but not as much with the big riggers.... anyone?
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #47

"Sway" is a feel good term. The dangerous effect is fishtailing which is very often uncontrollable. Getting pushed aside a little by a truck passing isn't a problem.

-- Chuck
Old 08-26-2019, 08:32 PM   #48
Hot Dog Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
These are great posts! I have a question for everyone who responded to the initial post: What would you consider as too much sway ?
Also, as a side note... I notice that I feel much more of a sway effect when I get passed by Ryder or U-Haul panel trucks or certain mid sized cars that go whizzing by at 80 or more mph. Sometimes busses or bus shaped RVís, but not as much with the big riggers.... anyone?

That's kind of a tough question to answer I think?

For me a little bit of buffeting, or gentle side to side movement doesn't concern me, it's when I feel more of a rocking motion that I would be worried about.

The best way to describe it (for me anyway) is similar to the feeling I had when I was driving my hardtop convertible with the top stowed in the trunk. The car handled fine on corners when the roof was in place, but when it was stowed in the trunk I felt like if I went too fast into a corner the wheels would lift and I'd roll.

Or possibly a better way to describe it is when driving in icy road conditions you get a feeling that you rear end is about to slide.........well that's sort of the same feeling for me with sway.

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Exactly!
X12
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #50

Sway

I see the post is old but never know who's reading...

About sway... I think some folks think if they have a hitch with anti sway there will be no sway felt.

I'm a big truck driver for a living, and big trucks get a sway feel when high winds or even when another truck passes... can't be helped.

Your reaction has a lot to do with how you handle sway.

Physics will give you the feel of sway. Wind, another vehicle pushi g wind going around you... as I said I feel that driving my big truck and it is a tanker, rounded not a big square trailer...

You have to realize you will feel yourself being pushed around on the hiway, the key is do not over react.

Pay attention to your position in your lane. As long as you have not moved your steering wheel one way or another just hold steady to stay straight...

I think folks get nervous and overcompinsate for felt sway, then try to bring it back, and now bring it back the other way, and back and back... white knucklin!!

Next time try just holding steady, watch your lane postion and do not "over" compinsate.

Tricky and scary at first, but take a deep breath, ease the death grip on the wheel and see if you do better.

6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway