Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Swaying in a 21DS! Help!

I have a 2017 Expedition with tow package and towing a microlite 21ds. We have a Fastway e2 anti sway hitch with weight distribution bars that were put on by the service department at the dealer. When driving the highway between 65-70mph and wind over 10mph Iím still feeling the trailer sway. We are taking a 30 hour trip across country to Yellowstone in a couple weeks and I want to feel comfortable driving! What are we doing wrong? We are not exceeding tongue weight.

dbackwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Here's a few observations without your specifics:

You will always have a bit of sway, especially when big rigs pass you buy.

I have a Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH and works great. You didn't mention if you have round bar or square bar.

Don't drive faster than 65.

LT or P-rated tires on your Expy? If P, add more pressure to tire. I usually fill mine to 44/45 psi. Tire is 51 psi max cold temp. Door jam sticker says to fill to 35 psi for normal driving.

Ensure TT tires are filled to max cold psi and monitor along journey.

Is your weight in TT evenly distributed. Irregardless of "not exceeding tongue weight", too much weight in the back of the trailer will cause sway.

Oh, one more thing. Expy's tend to have a soft rear suspension. Stronger shocks may help some.

Safe and happy travels.

Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 15
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #3

Would be helpful to have a pic of your vehicle and trailer hitched up in a level lot.

Could be hitch not adjusted appropriately, load not distributed correctly, problem with your vehicle suspension, or other things.

Do you have a tongue weight measurement? How do you know you aren't exceeding tongue weight?

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #4

It’s a square bar e2. I’m getting pulled around even when I’m not around any other vehicles. We’ve been on two 3-day trips so far with this vehicle/trailer only an hour from home. Have appointment with Ford this week to check towing setup/etc. With the fridge/pantry in back-keeping in mind we’ve only packed 3 days worth of food for two people-would that be taking weight off the tongue? I can’t compensate for it up front where the Murphy bed is. Wondering if the hitch should be set lower? I haven’t tried towing it empty on the highway.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

There are so many things that can cause sway. Already mentioned, uneven load in trailer, incorrect installation of WDH, soft tires, soft suspension. Not enough info to diagnose on this forum without seeing the rig in real life.

I tow with a Dodge 1500 Hemi and had to put in air bag at the rear to firm things up.

Run tire at max cold load when towing on both the TV and the RV.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbackwoods View Post
Itís a square bar e2. Iím getting pulled around even when Iím not around any other vehicles. Weíve been on two 3-day trips so far with this vehicle/trailer only an hour from home. Have appointment with Ford this week to check towing setup/etc. With the fridge/pantry in back-keeping in mind weíve only packed 3 days worth of food for two people-would that be taking weight off the tongue? I canít compensate for it up front where the Murphy bed is. Wondering if the hitch should be set lower? I havenít tried towing it empty on the highway.

Here's something to try.

Inflate your front tires to the suggested pressure for the front axle. Then inflate your rear tires to the MAXIMUM that is molded into the sidewall of the tires. Also, as suggested earlier, inflate trailer tires to max pressure that is shown on the sidewall. (note: make sure you do this when tires are cold like first thing in the morning and use an accurate gauge).

Running two different pressures on the tires of your tow vehicle is an industry wide practice for eliminating (as much as possible) Oversteer. When rear tires are softer than fronts and sidewalls are able to flex more, the rear of the tow vehicle tends to steer the front which creates oversteer. Over steer is when the vehicle changes direction more than what the driver expects when they turn the steering wheel. This is good for racing when the driver wants to hang the rear out on corners (they call this loose).

When you add a trailer to a vehicle the extra tongue weight can cause the rear tires to flex the sidewalls more, side to side, and you get oversteer which can then steer the trailer all over the road.

As long as your front tires are not overloaded for the pressure on the door post (which is often not the case even with WDH hitches) the tow vehicle will be more stable, or at the worst have a slight understeer which is easier to handle and considered far safer than Oversteer.

FWIW, Ford has done this on their pickup trucks for years, recommending different pressures for front and rear. Their front suspension tended to induce oversteer which many drivers complained about. That's why many Ford's had pressures like 44psi front and 80 psi rear.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray40 View Post
Would be helpful to have a pic of your vehicle and trailer hitched up in a level lot.

Could be hitch not adjusted appropriately, load not distributed correctly, problem with your vehicle suspension, or other things.

Do you have a tongue weight measurement? How do you know you aren't exceeding tongue weight?

Not sure how to post a pic?
Old 07-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the tire pressure advice, I will have that looked at!
Old 07-30-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Apparently you are relying on the dealer's setup oh your E2. This is a mistake.
You need to learn how to setup and adjust your WDH yourself.
The dealers are notorious about poor WDH setups, especially because they do it on an empty trailer.
There are lots of E2 setup videos out there and read the manual.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Apparently you are relying on the dealer's setup oh your E2. This is a mistake.
You need to learn how to setup and adjust your WDH yourself.
The dealers are notorious about poor WDH setups, especially because they do it on an empty trailer.
There are lots of E2 setup videos out there and read the manual.
This.This. This.
Many, most?, dealers just eyeball them and get them close.

Watch the video.
Download and print the manual.
Collect the required tools and torque wrench.
Got to the nearest CAT scale and set it up correctly.

Max out your cold tire pressures on the TV and make sure that the trailer tires are at the max cold pressure and see if that helps.
What kind of tires are on the TV? LT (light truck) or passenger tires. I needed to upgrade to a load range E LT tire on my pickup.

Bob

Tags
sway