Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

tank location on 8528rkws

Just got our 5th and would like to know the location of the fresh water tank as the belly is all closed in. I'm hoping it's either over the axles or just behind as the the dry weights on this were not very accurate or the options pushed my pin weight higher than expected!
cdnwillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnwillyg View Post
Just got our 5th and would like to know the location of the fresh water tank as the belly is all closed in. I'm hoping it's either over the axles or just behind as the the dry weights on this were not very accurate or the options pushed my pin weight higher than expected!
I think you realize this, but dry weights don't include water. You should be able to look under the camper and see the fresh water drain sticking out from the underbelly. I think it's a safe assumption that the tank is immediately above that.

That said, options make a huge difference in weights. From the advertised dry weight of the camper to my actual yellow tag weight, my camper is 400 pounds. Plus, I had my dealer install a few things right away and that increased the weight from the yellow sticker even more.

BUT- I never weighed the camper when it was empty. I've only weighed it fully loaded. Fully loaded, my pin weight is 700 pounds higher than the dry pin weight.

I'm going to reweigh once my camper is empty next week and see where things are at with it. Just curious.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've had some sections of the underbelly off while looking into a problem with the FW tank venting on our Rockwood which is the same floorplan. The FW tank is positioned between the frame rails over the camper's axles, the galley tank is right behind that. The black and gray tanks are side by side mounted north/south at the very front.

What did you get for pin weight. Ours was weighted on the trip home from picking it up and was 1100 lb pin and 7400 lb total. It was weighted again the first camping trip with 1240 lb pin and 8300 lb total. As you can see the pin weight % is the same unloaded vs loaded as the weight I added in the kitchen/pantry offsets the weight added in the basement and under the bed.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #4

Thanks Dave, when I took the trailer (DRY but propane bottles full) to the scales with the wife and a full tank of gas, the front axle weighted in at 3366 lbs., rear at 3850 and the trailer axles at 6270. I know that the truck without the trailer weighs, front axle at 3476 lbs rear at 2404 with me the wife and a full tank of gas. From that I get 1445 lbs pin weight! I was only running my tires at 40 lbs so I have increased them to 70 lbs rear, 60 lbs front to see if that changes anything, not holding my breath!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Always Learning

What does your yellow sticker show as a dry weight?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
when I took the trailer (DRY but propane bottles full) to the scales with the wife and a full tank of gas, the front axle weighted in at 3366 lbs., rear at 3850 and the trailer axles at 6270. I know that the truck without the trailer weighs, front axle at 3476 lbs rear at 2404 with me the wife and a full tank of gas. From that I get 1445 lbs pin weight!
You're calculating the pin weight only looking a the rear axles weights...you need to use the total truck weight. The truck weighs 7216 lbs hitched up and 5880 lbs unhitched for a pin weight of 1336 lbs. It's strange that the front axle weight is 110 lbs lighter with the trailer hitched up...the only explanation I have if everything in the truck was identical is that the hitch is installed behind the rear axle centerline.

That's still a lot more than I have. Do you have the bedroom A/C by chance?

Dave

Old 08-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #7

Okay my yellow tag says it is 7394 lbs. which takeaway the axle weight of 6270 would give me 1124 pin weight. or if I took only the weight of truck at 5875 without trailler and 7238 with trailer on I get 1363 lbs. both way better but which one is correct?why the front axle got lighter is a good question....synthetic oil maybe! no bedroom AC.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Were the empty truck weights were taken at the same time as the other weighing? If not, I've had different axle weights on mine with no apparent reason on different scales, different days. The total weight was reasonably the same, but the front/rear axle weight can swap 80 or 100 lbs. I'm wondering if it has to do with positioning on the truck on the weighing segments. BTW the yellow sticker on ours is 7280 lbs. I've also noted that the spec length of the camper is a foot longer than the 2010 version...perhaps that extra length is in front of the axles.

Dave

Old 08-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

No the empty weights were taken when we had the other 5th wheel but at the same scales and a year ago too. So someone might have calibrated them or uncalibrated them in the last year as well. Oh well we will load the girl up and take a wet weigh and see if a newer bigger truck is in our near future!
Thanks

Tags
8528, cat, location, tank