Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
cecelea's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 35
The magic chef microwave

Has anyone had trouble with the microwave in the 27RLWS?
Our last outing, we used the microwave for the first time and after about 5 minutes, the microwave started making a loud noise and you could see sparks next to the microwave between the trim piece and the microwave. Really weird. We ended up shutting off the breaker to the microwave. We never use it as I cook everything the old fashioned way. It's a 2013 with magic chef microwave.

cecelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 407
It has worked like a champ for us and we use it every trip to some degree. Sounds like some short of shorting out issue. You will have to pull the microwave oven out to be sure. Better to check things out yourself before even thinking of going to the dealer even if it is for warranty service.

2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Edition | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
Slympicins's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sevierville
Posts: 761
The magic chef microwave

Last time I saw sparks in a microwave when my father-in-law needed to heat up his Thanksgiving dinner in my sister-in-laws microwave. When he pulled out his plate I noticed it was her expensive gold leaf china. Oops.

No problem with ours. We use it often a well. Do what Wmoses said. Pull it out and check it good. I would call the manufacturer before the dealer for a replacement. Be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Chuck and Joanne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite Classic 27RLWS Emerald
2013 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie Crew
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
Slympicins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 24
Definitely something wrong with the emitter or the shielding.
bradw661 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
BombDoc's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SC Lowcountry
Posts: 1,453
We use ours regularly, every outing and never had a problem, other than when I fried it, the TV, fireplace and converter by hooking the rig up to 220V. Long story. It was replaced with the same Magic Chef and works like a champ.
John & April & "Scout"
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6
Nights Camped 2013-(44)2014-(59)
Nights Camped 2015-(47)2016-23
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:03 AM   #6
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 91
Sounds like a bad factory unit. Call magic chef number in your owners book.
IBEW LU 613 Atlanta
Micro Lite 21 FBRS
Toyota Tundra
SparkeyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
cat1956's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chelsea, Alabama
Posts: 309
We have been camping for two months straight and use ours daily with no problem.
Tommy and Wanda
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2014 F-150 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost Max Towing
Intergraded Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
cecelea's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 35
We will take it out and look at it. I noticed inside the microwave top front there is a manufacturers hole. Inside that hole is a metal clip. I'm wondering if the microwave shifted during our trip over dirt roads and something came through that top part. Does everyone have that little clip in the top? Since we never use it I don't know if that little metal piece should be there or not. Or if it slipped through during a rough patch in the road.
cecelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Springtown, TX
Posts: 24
It is likely that what you are seeing is one of the mounting holes for being able to mount that unit under a cabinet.

My guess is that the shielding wasn't installed properly at the factory, therefore microwaves are escaping to the housing thus causing the reaction between housing and metal trim.

You say it is the first time used so hopefully it is still under factory warranty.
bradw661 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,515
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Mine fogged up

My Magic Chef would fog up between the glass in the door, Forest River
replaced it last year at the rally, no questions ask! It was two years old!

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.