Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Thermopane windows - Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BHS

I can't wait for the camping season to begin in Ohio. Tomorrow I'll be signing the paperwork for a 25BHS. One question I have is, does anyone see the value in the upgraded cost for the thermopane windows? Just trying to see if it's overkill to have them. We do go camping a few times in the fall but not when it gets brutally cold outside.

Thanks!
OHIO_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

hidee ho

If you're going to camp in cold weather,yes, they do make a big difference. Much more comfortable and warm with no cold draft sitting next to a window. They also help keep the unit quieter from outside noise. If you can afford them just do it. They will also help trade in or resale value down the road. Happy Trails!

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt1655 View Post
If you can afford them just do it.
+1, like many other things on our RVs, it's a really nice option to have.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
llr

We just ordered a Rookwood 8335 and the salesman said the thermal pane are more old style framed windows, we don't do much extreme weather so the wife opted for the frameless single pane looks
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

The thermopane windows will help keep your RV cooler in the summer as well.
Goldtop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #6

I've been fooled by the term "Thermopane" in the past

Be very careful. It is extremely likely the dealer is telling you Thermopane when in fact they are merely double pane with no vacuum between panes.
rvnomads1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

Thermal Widows

Hello, I have been involved in construction for over 40 years. I now do home inspections. I would not even think of a home or RV without thermal windows. The money you save in heat and A/C alone is worth it. Never mind the comfort level. I'm buying a NEW CEDAR CREEK and it has thermal windows.
Inspectorslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Jack of All Trades

Thermopane and/or thermal windows do not and never had a vacuum between the panes. It is an insulating air space. Some very high end thermal windows will use a noble gas between the panes for additional heat isolation.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #9

Thermal Windows

We recently purchased a 9 year old motorhome and all the thermal windows had blown their seals and fogged up. They all need to be replaced. Very expensive. All of the coaches we looked at around that age had fogged up windows. Seals have probably gotten better over the years but you are putting those windows in a wall that twists, vibrates, and bounces down the road, movement which can break the seals. I would not buy them unless there is a guarantee against seal failure.
frisbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #10

Sorry Rick but what you state is incorrect. Frisbyh's response after yours addresses the problem when a seal goes bad.
Google it and they all say there is a gas separating the panes of glass and that's what makes them more efficient. "Thermal pane windows have different glass panes separated with space between panes filled with insulating gases." I have double pane on my motorhome and they do help to some degree. But, they do not perform like ones in a home that are gas filled. That's all I'm saying
rvnomads1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #11

We ordered ours with thermopane windows and they do make a difference not only with temperature regulation but also with exterior noise somewhat.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #12

Double Pane Windows

One thing we have noticed about our dual pane windows, that has so far not been mentioned, is that they do not condensate inside nearly as bad as single pane. For that reason we really like ours.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #13

My new cottage has dual panes. The sound suppression by itself sold me. Go with it. Well worth it. That's part of why I'm liking cedar creek.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #14

rvnomads1974 is correct. most rvs and or motorhomes with "dual" pane windows have two pices of glass with an air space. Not an air tight seal.

Your home has true "thermo" pane with an actual seal between the two panes of glass. The extra piece of glass helps but the r value of any window is very low. I assume if you put a true thermopane window in an rv the vibration would blow the seals.

Moisture between the glass at home is seal failure. mosture on the glass is nature doing what it does and that is moisture in the air being attracted to the coldest part of the room.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #15

I have thermopanes on our 2016 Windjammer 3008W. They are the modern frameless design rather than the old framed type that some are claiming. When we were shopping spring of 2015, one dealer told us not to buy them because they were the old framed style. The other dealer, which we purchased from, said they were in fact the frameless style, and was sitting in a just delivered trailer at that moment which had them.

I highly recommend them. They don't fog and are warmer when it's cool out, help keep cooler when it's hot out, and pass much less sound from the outside so it's much quieter inside.

The look identical to the non-insulated variety. Unless you look very closely, the only way you know you have them is the sticker on them that says they are insulated.

I think they're well worth the upcharge. I feel they are the most valuable option that I spent money on.

After having them, going forward I will never have another trailer without them.

Good luck
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #16

If you're planning on running at close-to-limit for weight with your towing vehicle, be aware that the double pane windows add a lot of weight to your "Ultralite" rig.
JerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #17

Thank you all for the input. We decided to not purchase them but after reading the comments I will probably move forward with them in our next purchase.
OHIO_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #18
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerW View Post
If you're planning on running at close-to-limit for weight with your towing vehicle, be aware that the double pane windows add a lot of weight to your "Ultralite" rig.
Can you estimate a rough figure of how much additional they weigh?

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote