Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

Thermostat Question

Took our new rig for its last camping trip for the year. (9 trips since July)
November weather in Missouri can get a little brisk. So it requires the heater.
We turned the thermostat to just under 70 F. Heater kicked on a couple times during the early evening.
Then around 5am I woke up freezing. I looked at the digital thermometer I bought and it showed 56 F.
I got up, flipped the heat to off, and back to heat, and the blower immediately kicked on, and ran till it warmed up.
Has anyone run into this before? Am I doing something wrong?
This is our first camper, so it’s possible I screwed something up.
STL-UltraLite25KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
john I

well it could have been just a glich. but from my experiance some times the regulator on the tank could have froze, i have woken up to find iced up tanks. The reason is that the gas in your tank is in a luquid form when under a given pressure. when you use the gas the pessure is reduced causeing the luquid to boil to produce more gas, this process causes the tank and regulator to get supper cool and can freez up in below or close to the freezing mark. So when the heater shut off the tank will warm enuff to melt the frozen valve. Now to help if this is the problem you can rap the tanks in blankets to help.. pleas let me know what you find out. You know in summer you can see what i mean. look at your tanks during gas use you will usaly see condensate formng on the side of your tanks that is the process at work.
1963 5'2" wife Sheri
johnemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #3

Same thing happened to me on my 07 8528gtss 5er. Heater would go on for a few minutes then shut off. Kept doing this again and again, I checked to maker sure I had plenty of Propane etc. Finally I took the cover off the thermostat, and got a little brush and cleaned the contact points, then just blew the dust off. This was a year ago, since then we've used it about 5 times on different trips and it's been fine. Go figure.....! I didn't really see any dust but I guess just a little cleaning did the trick....Good luck..
TWO4THEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #4

You may be inerested in a few of the upgrades I have done. One of the first things I did was replace the mechanical thermostat with a digital one. See Link

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-27865-5.html

Your issue could not be related to the thermostat but I have not had any issue since replacing mine with this digital unit.

Happy Camping

BK
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #5

FYI, Got the trailer back from the dealer.
It was the Sail (sic) Switch. Was told it was common with our furnace model.
STL-UltraLite25KS is offline   Reply With Quote