Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Thetford Aqua Magic Style II White China Bowl Toilet

Last year, we had a problem with the water valve not shutting off completely and experienced an overflow early one morning. To make a long story short, Thedford sent a replacement valve under warranty to Camper Connection in Kissimmee, FL who installed the valve. Watching the tech replace the valve, I questioned him not putting silicone paste lube on it and was told it was not needed. Practically one year to the day later, guess what? TOWTA discovered a near overflow condition again. Got out the silicone spray and sprayed all the outside springs and moving parts. Worked for a couple of days and the foot pedal was very sluggish working. Yesterday I decided to remove the toilet and try my hand at repairing. Lubed everything quite liberally with spray lithium grease and got it working better but not quite right. Decided what the heck. Finally got the pedal off, removed the water valve, lubed liberally with silicone paste lube and re-assembled/re-installed the whole thing. Voila, the pedal worked like new, stopped water flow as intended. Having just about run out of silicone grease, we went to Lowes and bought some more. Taking Herk's suggestion, decided to install a shutoff on the toilet water supply. Not wanting to remove the toilet again, tried installing the valve without removing it. Bad decision. Didn't get the pipe shoved up in the valve far enough and man, 50 psi of pressure puts out a lot of water quickly. Long story shortened somewhat, removed toilet, installed valve properly and everything works great again. Hopefully will never have to use the shutoff valve, but at least it's there if needed.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Next time you have it out you should try the kitchen spray wand modification.
Makes cleanup a whole lot easier and saves lots of water while boondocking.

Just make sure you install it in the pressure line (not the supplied flush barb on the valve). That way you can use the wash down with the toilet valve closed and with higher pressure.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Next time you have it out you should try the kitchen spray wand modification.
Makes cleanup a whole lot easier and saves lots of water while boondocking.

Just make sure you install it in the pressure line (not the supplied flush barb on the valve). That way you can use the wash down with the toilet valve closed and with higher pressure.
We bought the Blue Streak Dispenser at Goshen and I mix 1/2 Superclean & 1/2 Pinesol to fill the dispenser and it cleans very well by just flushing. If not, just hold the pedal to let enough solution in to cover the mess and let set until next usage and voila, clean as a whistle. So far since 29Nov, the black tank flushes real clean also. Got another 6-8 weeks to test it.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

During replacing my china bowl flush valve, I found, when reinstalling the foot lever (3rd time) you need to have slight spring pressure on the lever just before it snaps back in place. This ensures good return torque to the foot pedal and shutting the flush valve. Yea, me too herk. twice overflow before I got it right. Life's a dance, ya learn as you go. ;-)
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We bought the Blue Streak Dispenser at Goshen and I mix 1/2 Superclean & 1/2 Pinesol to fill the dispenser and it cleans very well by just flushing. If not, just hold the pedal to let enough solution in to cover the mess and let set until next usage and voila, clean as a whistle.
What is the typical rate of consumption of the dispenser?
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote