Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 11:55 AM   #41
Gold Miner At Heart

Every new unit I've owned is the same way. They build it and rush it through and never clean up. I just took out the roof vent on my 2004 unit and replaced it with a fantastic fan. The crap that came out of the ceiling was a mess. I wonder if those 4 and $500.000 dollar units are the same way? My guess is yes.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Actually I just did contact them for this very reason. I wrote an email to the Rockwood contacts with the link to this forum topic and asked them to pass the email around to other divisions in FR. I stated that by and large we are all happy with our units but wondered why this lack of pride in workmanship was allowed. I'll let you know if I receive a comment or call from FR.
I received a response today (same day) from my email to the FR reps at the factory and pasted it below:

Good afternoon,

I want to first say thank you for taking the time to write to us and share this information. We do take pride in our work and finish product but we also know that we have room for improvement. I will pass this information on to the proper people here at our division for this information to be reviewed and shared.

I hope that when you go to purchase your next Forest River product that you are completely satisfied with it and get lots of enjoyment out of it.

Again thank you for taking the time to pass this information on to us.
Have a great day.
Roger Beiler
Warranty Administrator
Rockwood & Flagstaff
Forest River Inc

I suggested they might have factory Quality inspectors monitor the Tech section of the forum for information on what owners are finding in the field. Having one of them respond occasionally would be a plus; it would impress me anyway. But then I am fascinated by some pretty simple stuff
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #43

I found sawdust in full view in the cabinets of a trailer at the Richmond RV show. If the dealer doesn't even bother to vacuum the sawdust out before a show, think what else he doesn't care about.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #44

Trending

I believe what we are seeing as a decline in manufacturing detail awareness is because the RV market has boomed since 2010. They had 5 years of flat or negative sales numbers prior to that. With each year's sales since 2010 beating the previous year, it encourages the manufacturers to get them out the door and sold as quickly as possible. I looked at the sales figures for the RVIA and thought it was interesting.
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Historical Glance
I would wager that if the market started to decline, the industry would be more competitive with their quality. We would also have more attentive dealerships with better service if they were having to fight for the next customer instead of waiting in their lobby for the next available salesperson. Supply and demand. Right now demand is very high and they are trying to take advantage of it by getting as many units built as possible. Just my two cents.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
I believe what we are seeing as a decline in manufacturing detail awareness is because the RV market has boomed since 2010. They had 5 years of flat or negative sales numbers prior to that. With each year's sales since 2010 beating the previous year, it encourages the manufacturers to get them out the door and sold as quickly as possible. I looked at the sales figures for the RVIA and thought it was interesting.
The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Historical Glance
I would wager that if the market started to decline, the industry would be more competitive with their quality. We would also have more attentive dealerships with better service if they were having to fight for the next customer instead of waiting in their lobby for the next available salesperson. Supply and demand. Right now demand is very high and they are trying to take advantage of it by getting as many units built as possible. Just my two cents.
Does not seem to me that it is going to slow anytime soon! I am actaully shocked how many people on here have had three or MORE Rvs in a very short period of time.. (selling the 14 for a 15 then right ot a 16). Guess Ineed to hit the lottery to keep up!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntaylor View Post
I found sawdust in full view in the cabinets of a trailer at the Richmond RV show. If the dealer doesn't even bother to vacuum the sawdust out before a show, think what else he doesn't care about.
I was talking to a factory rep at the RV Expo in Austin last Saturday. He was openly disgusted as he was commenting to me that he couldn't believe some of the things the dealers wouldn't correct on units they were displaying.

Broken door knobs, loose cabinets, gobs of caulk around the vanity sink, wall seam covers peeling away, etc.

I asked him why issues like that even existed when the units left the factory. He didn't have an answer for that, just that it's the dealers responsibility to ensure the units are presentable.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #47

Doc73
Guilty as charged, we have a 2014 Windjammer and looking for a 5th wheel in the next year. So I guess I am contributing to the problem, dang... I'll blame it on the DW! She wants a new RV! Of course I want the new 1T DRW diesel to pull it with!
Old 02-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I was talking to a factory rep at the RV Expo in Austin last Saturday. He was openly disgusted as he was commenting to me that he couldn't believe some of the things the dealers wouldn't correct on units they were displaying.

Broken door knobs, loose cabinets, gobs of caulk around the vanity sink, wall seam covers peeling away, etc.

I asked him why issues like that even existed when the units left the factory. He didn't have an answer for that, just that it's the dealers responsibility to ensure the units are presentable.
That was a great question. Too bad there was not a great answer. As customers we try to get the best price from the dealer who is expected to do 5% of factory work.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Doc73
Guilty as charged, we have a 2014 Windjammer and looking for a 5th wheel in the next year. So I guess I am contributing to the problem, dang... I'll blame it on the DW! She wants a new RV! Of course I want the new 1T DRW diesel to pull it with!
D B ~~ don't tell Doc but in December I traded a 2016 TT on a 2016 5er and a 2015 F150 with almost 15K miles on a new 2016 F250 to pull the 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #50
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post

And there in lies a mentality I fail to understand... a factory rep, openly disgusted at the dealer for not cleaning up and fixing the factory's messes. That is simply inexcusable on so many different levels.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote