Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #1

Thinking about buying a Flagstaff Micro Lite 25ks

Hi,

My wife an I don't own a travel trailer yet but we think we have decided on the Flagstaff Micro Lite 25ks. With very little experience with travel trailers we are a little apprehensive if we are making a good choice on the make and model. We really like the floor plan but we are not sure how good Flagstaff is as a manufacturer. So far I have not seen many reviews to go by. I was hoping some of you on the forums might give me input for and against purchasing the trailer. I am an experienced tent camper but have zero travel trailer experience.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Stevekaz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

If you ask ANY RV owner if they have had Issues with their unit the chances are 75%+ will say Yes! Using this as a gauge will prevent you from ever buying any RV! I have and I will buy and support Flagstaff and F/R! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

We love our Flagstaff. Very few problems. What problems we have had were either fixed by the dealer or Forest River at the FROG rally. Enjoy your new trailer.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #4

If you've got unlimited funds then they're not the highest quality out there. We like our Rockwood but we're only using it a few weeks a year and they're priced right.

My parents RV for 6+ months a year and they have an Arctic Fox, night and day from the Rockwood.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
If you've got unlimited funds then they're not the highest quality out there. We like our Rockwood but we're only using it a few weeks a year and they're priced right.

My parents RV for 6+ months a year and they have an Arctic Fox, night and day from the Rockwood.
Rockwood and Flagstaff are made side by side so Q is the same as well as price! I have seen Arctic Fox units in the Same RV repair shops as Others! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #6

By no means am I saying that an Arctic Fox is exempt from issues. What I'm saying is, put them side by side and build quality difference is evident.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Have talked to a few who own the Micro lites and really enjoy with minimum problems. As youroo mentioned there are problems nothing is perfect. You purchase from a reputable dealer and they will do the warranty work and FR stands behind there product. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHd6 View Post
By no means am I saying that an Arctic Fox is exempt from issues. What I'm saying is, put them side by side and build quality difference is evident.

But you have to weigh the build quality difference against the price difference and an Artic Fox is priced substantially more than a Flagstaff or Rockwood on a square ft basis. Its about 30% to 40%different.

Thats also despite the Artic Fox using a lot of the same appliances and components including cheap electronics such as the IRV radios. Even the interior cabinets are not much better, still vinyl veneer on the cabinets themselves.

I think the Flagstaff is the better value dollar for dollar.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #9

My wife and I shopped extensively for approx six months before we bought our first RV. Wit that being said its all about preference and affordability. We chose the Flagstaff 8528 IKWS it's a mid range fifth wheel that was within our budget. I don't feel we sacrificed any quality versus other brands out there, one thing I did notice was there are not a lot of them for sale used....food for thought you see lots of others out there in the used market. My only summerazation is either they make very few of them or people are keeping them. We are very happy with ares. Have we had problems yes minor ones no more than typical home owner ship, and it's a home on wheels that moves...more chances for problems. We have had leaks, bent stuff and cracked stuff all either covered by warranty or so for inexpensive to fix. My best advice is make a list of wants and needs find the units that fit that than look around of those that are on lots for sale or still with the owner....my last bit of advice buy your third one first.....you will save a lot of money in the long run...🇺🇸👍😎
DFW Texas
Brim1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

21,000 miles in 2 years

21,000 miles in 2 years very few issues.
21 ft flagstaff FRBS
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #11

We have a 2014 Micro Lite 25DS and have had ZERO problems with it.
We picked it up in Des Moines, IA and pulled it 650 miles home in driving thunder storms with no leaks.
Like you we tent camped for years and this was our first TT. After reading the forums I was a bit apprehensive about the purchase but figured I could fix any problems that might come up(excluding major repairs.)
We looked at the 25 KS, but I decided I needed a sofa to sit on instead of just a dinette(a dinette is so uncomfortable for me to sit at for any length of time.) The 25 DS had both a dinette and a sofa.
I hope your purchase turns out as good as ours has.
RoadKingX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
...As youroo mentioned there are problems nothing is perfect. You purchase from a reputable dealer and they will do the warranty work and FR stands behind there product. Later RJD
X2

When buying an RV, select:
1. floorplans,
2. manufacturer,
3. dealer
in that order.

The floorplan has to meet your needs. I really like the 25KS but my wife wanted nothing to do with a Murphy Bed - her personal preference, not a knock against them. She wanted full time use of the sofa. So we ended up having to go with a 29' model. BTW, don't believe brochure weights and dealer claims about "your car can tow this". Do some research and know up front if your current tow vehicle is borderline for that model.

Flagstaff, and their sister brand Rockwood, are identical except for fabric colors and decals so if you're searching for info on Flagstaff, look at Rockwood, too. I personally recommend Forest River - or at least Rockwood and Flagstaff brands - because I was treated fairly by the factory when I had an issue with my previous Rockwood Roo hybrid that I purchased used.

Finding a great dealer is the hardest of all the decisions. Good ones are not common. Ask around. Go to a local RV show and talk to owners. Keep in mind that RV dealers are not like car dealers. They are not brand-specific and they often refuse to do warranty work on a unit they didn't sell, or at least they'll put you at the bottom of the list. If you let us know what area you're from, someone here may be able to recommend a local dealer.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #13

Owner of Micro LIte 25KS

We have a 2012 MircoLite 25KS. We bought it new in September of 2012, We have had very little problems with it. The murphy bed and kitchen slide out makes for a lot of room, plus the bathroom is larger than most. I have done a few mods to it since buying it like replacing thermostat with a Honeywell electronic one, adding roof vent covers, improved on storage cabinets, beefed up folding table.
The only issue I had was with the slide once, had one of the slide motors go bad and repaired it myself.
The overall quality of the MicroLite line is good in my opinion.
Mrpsyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

We purchased a 19LB Micro Lite in spring of last year. Only one season on it, but no issues. We really like ours.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #15

My wife and I purchased the 25 KS last year and find it suits us well. It's easy to pull with my half ton truck and provides ample space for the two of us. The only issue I have had was caused at the dealer (improper installation of second battery). It's a very comfortable unit for the size. If I had a complaint with the layout it would have to be that messing with the murphy bed twice a day is a slight inconvenience.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

25KS

I bought a 25KS in 2014. I have done about 10,000 miles with it and have had no problems towing it. My other trailer had leaf spring suspension and rolled about. This one has Tork rubber suspension and you just don't feel it. The murphy bed, I find is easy to use and it encourages you to make the bed, takes 5 minutes up and down. Its more convenient than a separate room with an extra 5 feet on the length of the trailer. All the trailers I have owned suffer from the same problems. Showers need to be water tested before you go. All the knobs and handles need to be checked and tightened and drawer runners treated with care. I like this layout. There is just myself and my wife usually, although we had my 15 yo granddaughter for 2 weeks and there was plenty of room
You also benefit from the bigger bathroom. I like plenty of room to get washed and changed. As in trailers of this size, you will find storage a problem. My wife (god bless her) thinks she will never find another clothes shop in N America.
AlexMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #17

Compare

Not towards helping with Flagstaff because I don't know the well-known brand but since you're moving up from a tent trailer, have you looked at hybrids? I own a 2013 Rockwood 23iks, love it . . . much more spacious, two bump outs, and a center island. I've owned Rockwoods since 1983 . . . small pop-up, xl pop-up, and now the hybrid . . . all solidly built and all but trouble-free. Each time I moved up, gave pop-ups to my daughter who still going strong w/ the 2nd. Hauled the hybrid on a cross-country trip to Alaska+ in 2014 from MA . . . 21,000 miles . . . 5 months . . . w/ a GMC 1500 . . . w/o incident. Another 4,000 miles south . . . same year . . . ditto. Enjoy whatever you end with.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #18
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekaz99 View Post
Hi,

My wife an I don't own a travel trailer yet but we think we have decided on the Flagstaff Micro Lite 25ks. With very little experience with travel trailers we are a little apprehensive if we are making a good choice on the make and model. We really like the floor plan but we are not sure how good Flagstaff is as a manufacturer. So far I have not seen many reviews to go by. I was hoping some of you on the forums might give me input for and against purchasing the trailer. I am an experienced tent camper but have zero travel trailer experience.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
My wife and I bought a Rockwood MiniLite 181 in 2011 and have had only one problem with it, and that was the radio/CDDVD player. We love the floor plan and the heated Murphy bed, and especially the full bathroom. We tow with a Lexus RX300 SUV and have gone over some pretty high passes in the Sierra and Rockies with no problems. Have fun with your new TT. We were backpackers for 30+ years before making the leap to a trailer and haven't looked back since!
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #19

Welcome to the forum! The only word of caution I would have for you is to be aware of its limitations. The mini lites are true ultra lights, meaning that everything in them is designed with weight savings in mind. The thing that makes them so desirable in many peoples minds could be problematic at some time.
That being said, we are very happy owners of a 2015 Shamrock 23 ikss. It's a bit heavier than your mini but still easily towed by a half ton pick em up. Almost no problems ( POS water filter....read posts on this forum ) No leaks. Nothing broken. As I said...happy owners.
Like you, we were tent campers. Then, 2 pop ups. Our search led us to a hybrid because sometimes it just the wife and me. Just drop one bed. Sometimes we have grandkids along. Drop two beds and still have full use of the sofs and dinette. Works for us.
Whatever you decide, don't be leery of a Rockwood or any FR product. They are built to a price point, but the quality ( to me ) is equal to or better than anything comparable. Compare apples to apples.
Someone posted about the dealer. Very important. Unlike car dealers, rv dealers are not required to perform warranty work on units they did not sell. Not to say they won't. But if you decide to buy from a dealer 3 states away because they're cheaper, make sure you find a local dealer who will work with you.
Good luck with your search. Hope whatever you end up getting you're as happy with as we are.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
Middle Aged Member

We bought a Mini Lite 2504S last fall and are just loving it. We have had multiple TT through the years, inclusive of a Class C MH. It has good space and is towable with our Jeep Commander 4.7 V8. The Flagstaff is built side by side with the Mini Lite. Good luck with your decison and happy camping.

Tags
flagstaff