Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Thoughts on our first season with our new 5th wheel

We ordered a new Flagstaff 8528BHSS 5th wheel in Feb. It came in as a 2011. After 9 trips we can say we love it, had no problems except for the breaker tripping during hot weather, still havent figure that one out yet. NO leaks, we camp thru the worst storm I have ever seen at myrtle beach plus in oct sat thru a 5in monsoon and NO leaks! Made some mods, like changing out the dinette legs for pedestal legs, and modified the fold down counter extender, it was attached with cheap wood screws with fell out after 3 trips, also combined 3 sewer hookup into 2.
Hey even the concertone everyone hates has preformed perfectly! , I love the under bin lights but wish they put a light in the other side where t he hookup are located. I love the way it looks, even the rims are sharpe! I had to get one of the tires fixed and the tire shop could not believe such good looking rims were from a camper. So I would give my camper a 10
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlingerrv View Post
I love the under bin lights but wish they put a light in the other side where t he hookup are located.
Very easy to add a additional light on the non-door side of the storage compartment. The fixture is $10-15, tie the wiring into the light fixture at the front of the compartment.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
After 9 trips we can say we love it, had no problems except for the breaker tripping during hot weather, still havent figure that one out yet.
We are equally happy with our Rockwood 5th.

Check your AC power going into the trailer, at the pedestal. If it gets low, that can trip the main breaker or the air conditioner or other high current use breaker.

It is odd there is no light on the street side storage bin. Also there is NOT ONE 12 vdc outlet in the trailer, I had to make one for my weather radio to plug into. Might install another for recharging cell phones or running a laptop.

But we really like ours!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Owner - RVtronics

Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
Quote:
Hey even the concertone everyone hates has preformed perfectly! , ...
SWEEETTTTTT!
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #5

We are equally happy with our Rockwood 1809S Mini Lite. Also ordered it in Feb & it is a 2011.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #6

Ya gotta luv these Flagstaff 5th wheels, they really are nice for the price!
We spent a week fall camping, just to make sure everything was fully functional (plus we couldn't wait to use it!), and we got LOTS of compliments from the other campers. Even those with huge fancy rigs were checking out the atrium windows! We couldn't be more pleased, and glad you are thrilled with yours!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Toy-aholic

Quote:
We ordered a new Flagstaff 8528BHSS 5th wheel in Feb. It came in as a 2011. After 9 trips we can say we love it, had no problems except for the breaker tripping during hot weather, still havent figure that one out yet. NO leaks, we camp thru the worst storm I have ever seen at myrtle beach plus in oct sat thru a 5in monsoon and NO leaks! Made some mods, like changing out the dinette legs for pedestal legs, and modified the fold down counter extender, it was attached with cheap wood screws with fell out after 3 trips, also combined 3 sewer hookup into 2.
Hey even the concertone everyone hates has preformed perfectly! , I love the under bin lights but wish they put a light in the other side where t he hookup are located. I love the way it looks, even the rims are sharpe! I had to get one of the tires fixed and the tire shop could not believe such good looking rims were from a camper. So I would give my camper a 10
can you elaborate on the 3 to 2 sewer thing?????
Old 10-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #8

We combined the front black tank with the galley tank. I posted pictures on this site if you search sewer hook-up it should bring them up.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Toy-aholic

Quote:
We combined the front black tank with the galley tank. I posted pictures on this site if you search sewer hook-up it should bring them up.
so you have 2 black & 1 grey tank?

We have a 2011 F.S. TT and already interested in trading on your model 5er next year....really like the idea of 2 bathrooms!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #10

The extra half bath is nice. Our camper has a grey,galley and 2 black tanks, the back bath has its own black tank which you have to dump separate.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Toy-aholic

I'm not familiar with the term "galley"...you have 4 tanks?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
J. Parham

Rohlingerrv, What are you towing with? I am picking up the same model 5er next week. I have a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas engine and 6 speed tran. I am curious how well it may tow if you are also towing with similar gas vehicle. I also searched for the sewer set up that has been mentioned and could not find. Could you repost a link? We are really excited about the new 5er trading up from a Shamrock 23RS rear hard slide camper.
snjparham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snjparham View Post
Rohlingerrv, What are you towing with? I am picking up the same model 5er next week. I have a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gas engine and 6 speed tran. I am curious how well it may tow if you are also towing with similar gas vehicle. I also searched for the sewer set up that has been mentioned and could not find. Could you repost a link? We are really excited about the new 5er trading up from a Shamrock 23RS rear hard slide camper.
I found it...type exactly....sewer hook-up
Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #14

The galley is just kitchen sink water, yes I have 4 tanks, I pull my camper with a 2500 Chevy with 6.0 also, dont have the 6sp trans, mine is a 2000 model. I have had no problem pulling my camper anywhere. You have 4.10 mine is 3.73 so you might pull it better.

Tags
5th wheel, flagstaff