Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Thoughts on purchase of Microlite 25DS

Have been lurking for quite some time and wanted some input from FROG.

Wife and I just sold the pop-up and are ready to move to a TT. We have been looking at the Microlites and love the floorplan on the 25DS. We want to purchase in time to camp this spring, but had a couple of questions:

1) when does FR update model years - I don't want to buy the one 2012 on the dealer's lot now if new ones shipping are 2013 (no special pricing yet)

2) the one on the dealer's lot was taken to a large RV show (saw it there) and there was paperwork in a drawer saying the furnace needed replaced - would you be leery of this one and order new, or just have the dealer make it right?

Any other thoughts on purchasing or on Flagstaff campers in general?

Thanks,
Jack
__________________

jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,949


I can't be certain about the microlites, but Flagstaff/Rockwood typically changes their models in the middle of the year. For example, you can search the Hybrid forum under Shamrocks and Roos to find out when.

In my case, I ordered in March of 2011. Received a 2012 in May 2011 and the changeover for 2012 occurred in July/August.

I would not let the bad furnace hold me back. Its common (even expected) that somethings will need to be worked on by the dealer. And this will happen with trailers that are ordered as well.

A good dealer catches it with their inspection upon delivery from the factory. If not, you can expect that your own PDI before delivery to you will catch it. If you miss it then, your first trip will catch it and then its a warranty item. Nothing to be concerned with.
__________________

__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

In my case, I ordered in March of 2011. Received a 2012 in May 2011 and the changeover for 2012 occurred in July/August.

The manufacturers will start calling the new deliveries 2013 sometime in March although physically, no changes will have been made as strange as it sounds.

In terms of resale, I'd get the 2013 instead of the 2012 even though they're both new.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
trudinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The manufacturers will start calling the new deliveries 2013 sometime in March although physically, no changes will have been made as strange as it sounds.

In terms of resale, I'd get the 2013 instead of the 2012 even though they're both new.

Dave
Yup, I agree. When we ordered ours last March from the 2011 brochure, it was technically a 2012 model when we picked it up in May (paperwork says 2012) even though the unit didn't change at all from the 2011 brochure. The new brochures came out last fall, so are they 2012, or 2013 models?
__________________
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,949
I did have some changes in my early '12 model from the 2011 brochure. I think it amounted to a cabinet where the TV used to be in 2011.

The changes for 2012 1/2 that occurred in late summer were quite extensive, however, and were not reflected in the brochure or on the website. IIRC The brochure they have now did not come out until the changes had already been incorporated. This surprised some owners and more than a few dealers, too, I hear.
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
punkaccountant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
Have been lurking for quite some time and wanted some input from FROG.

Wife and I just sold the pop-up and are ready to move to a TT. We have been looking at the Microlites and love the floorplan on the 25DS. We want to purchase in time to camp this spring, but had a couple of questions:

1) when does FR update model years - I don't want to buy the one 2012 on the dealer's lot now if new ones shipping are 2013 (no special pricing yet) We ordered our Rockwood Mini-lite (identical units to the Flagstaff Microlites) at a show in January and are expecting it in mid-March. The dealer is expecting it to come in as a 2013 model which I am hopeful of.

2) the one on the dealer's lot was taken to a large RV show (saw it there) and there was paperwork in a drawer saying the furnace needed replaced - would you be leery of this one and order new, or just have the dealer make it right? Having been to a show and seeing the number of people that go through these units, I would never buy a show model unless it was a deal I could not refuse. I can't imagine the number of times doors have been opened and slammed shut, AC turned on and off, kids jumping on the beds, etc. I wouldn't want that to be my unit. JMHO

Any other thoughts on purchasing or on Flagstaff campers in general?
You may want to try to get competing quotes to make sure you're getting the best deal. I had dealers thousands of dollars apart on their "best offer." Your dealers show price may be the going rate for these trailers so don't be forced into making a decision thinking you are getting an exceptional deal. Good luck!

Thanks,
Jack
See my responses above in red
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
See my responses above in red
You and I think so much alike its scary - PM me your number and I will have you straighten out my wife.

I really like/trust this dealer - they have great pricing, treated us well on our PUP and have been very helpful in helping us find the right unit without being pushy. That being said - I surmise this is the last 2012 25DS they will have in, its been demo'd at the show, and either needs or needed the furnace replaced. Since they are not offering a pricing incentive, I am inclined to order a "new one" with the hopes of getting a 2013. I just hope FR does not change any of the features we like between 2012-2013.

BTW, I can get this unit (or order a new one) with the Convenience A package for $17,995 which includes a starter kit (TP, Hoses, etc.). This is their everyday price and was the same price at the show and last summer when we first looked at them.

Thanks!!
Jack
jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
You and I think so much alike its scary - PM me your number and I will have you straighten out my wife.

I really like/trust this dealer - they have great pricing, treated us well on our PUP and have been very helpful in helping us find the right unit without being pushy. That being said - I surmise this is the last 2012 25DS they will have in, its been demo'd at the show, and either needs or needed the furnace replaced. Since they are not offering a pricing incentive, I am inclined to order a "new one" with the hopes of getting a 2013. I just hope FR does not change any of the features we like between 2012-2013.

BTW, I can get this unit (or order a new one) with the Convenience A package for $17,995 which includes a starter kit (TP, Hoses, etc.). This is their everyday price and was the same price at the show and last summer when we first looked at them.

Would you conisder the RV show unit if the price were right? If so why not bring up the fact that a million people been in and out of it a million times therefore the price is a bit high for a "broken in" unit? See if they are willing to wiggle a bit. At most RV places the price tag in the unit is the starting price and not so much the final price.

Thanks!!
Jack
While the idea of a starter kit sounds great some of the items very very cheap. Never used my fresh water or sewer hoses - went to Walmart and upgraded them before the first trip. I did like the ac adapter and TP.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
punkaccountant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshoffstall View Post
BTW, I can get this unit (or order a new one) with the Convenience A package for $17,995 which includes a starter kit (TP, Hoses, etc.). This is their everyday price and was the same price at the show and last summer when we first looked at them.

Thanks!!
Jack
It does not sound like they are giving you a break at all. When I shopped for my TT, I got some competing quotes online and used that as a gauge to determine whether I was getting a fair deal or not. I would get a quote from RVwholesalers.com and RVDirect for the Rockwood 2502S. It's very easy to do and they email you a no questions asked bottom line price. I bet you'll be amazed at how much better the price will be. For comparison purposes, I was able to get mine for about $500 less than either of those dealers at my local dealer but I needed a baseline before I knew what to negotiate.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
It does not sound like they are giving you a break at all. When I shopped for my TT, I got some competing quotes online and used that as a gauge to determine whether I was getting a fair deal or not. I would get a quote from RVwholesalers.com and RVDirect for the Rockwood 2502S. It's very easy to do and they email you a no questions asked bottom line price. I bet you'll be amazed at how much better the price will be. For comparison purposes, I was able to get mine for about $500 less than either of those dealers at my local dealer but I needed a baseline before I knew what to negotiate.
I did compare this unit (and one other) against RV direct pricing. The small difference in price does not justify a 7 hour drive each way to pick up and damage to a good relationship with a dealer/service department 20 minutes from the house. This is a no haggle/no hassle dealer and DW and I are very happy with them so far!
jeshoffstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
backin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 390
My 25DS which was as a show model and I did recieve a great deal I could not refuse! I figured the warranty would take care of any problems caused by careless showgoers but have had not problems with drawers, cabinets, ect in the two years we have had it. I would not worry about buying a show model, as long as it hasn't suffered any cosmetic damage that would bother you. But if they aren't offering a deep discount, why not go new?
Don't worry about the furnace, that's what the warranty is for. Forest River does have a 2nd year warranty you may want to sign up for, but it is for major structural issues only.
We have grown quite fond of our 25DS. It is a lot of camper for the money, and considering the very light weight well built. It is perfect for two but roomy enough for 4 when our full size kids come along with the 125# mutt.
It looks like the only change the have made is to remove the TV shelf and wall mount the TV and stereo - a wise move on their part! It looks like they did not change the bathroom door yet - If someone is in the bathroom and you open the cabinet over the micro the door crashes into it and puts a nice gouge in the door!
__________________

__________________
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
25ds

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.


×