Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Throwing the breaker all the time

I have a brand new (2 weeks old) Flagstaff 831BHSS. It has the electric/gas water heater that I think is causing my breaker to go out alot. If I have the electric water heater on, and I turn on the microwave, it throws the breaker. If I have the water heater on gas, it does not do that. Is there a different solution to this or do I just have to not use the electric water heater?

Cathy

campercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #2

If the shore power voltage is low, a combo of the electric HWH and the Microwave may be enough to trip the main 30 Amp breaker. Remember the fridge is probably running on AC also and it has a hefty electric heating element.

It usually takes the combo you describe plus one other appliance such as a coffee maker to trip the breaker when the voltage is at or around 120VAC.

We run the HWH on gas 99% of the time. It really doesn't take that much gas and aleviates problems with popping circuit breakers.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Incanis Confiderus

Send a message via Yahoo to dogman
Sorry to be off the subject but do you mind telling me what you pulling your TT with. I am looking at buying a TT. Thanks
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Grape Escape

We run our water heater almost exclusively on hydro since I discovered it runs on hydro and never pop circuit breaker unless I use ie. toaster along with another high power user such as electric heater. Are you on 15 or 30 amp service? That's on the Rockwood(Have to wait till spring to try out the new beast)
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #5

we have a 2006 cherokee and we run our water heater on electric all summer from may 1 until the middle of oct and never shut it down. we are in a seasonl site so the fridge is on all season also no problems
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

Sorry to hear you have a problem. We have the 831BHSS and have only run the hot water heater on electricity---have never tried it on gas yet. I'm sure you know about the switch in the control panel next to the rear slide-out. It should be switched to "electric". I guess the water heater would not come on at all ( in "electric" mode ) if that switch was in the "gas" position. Sounds like you need a good tech guy to take a look. My dealer is 135 miles away so I hope I never have your problem.

Wish I could be helpful, but as I stated, we have not had that problem.
Good luck
Mickey
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #7

Answer to dogman's question

I am pulling the trailer with my Tundra 5.7L v8 . It has absolutely no problems pulling the trailer. I was afraid that the trailer would be too long to be stable at highway speeds, but I drove 200 miles at 65 mph on a day when there were crosswinds gusting to 30 mph and I had no problems. So I am very happy with the way the Tundra pulls the trailer. It is rated to pull 10,300 lbs. I do use the "Equal-i-zer" trailer hitch with bars rated for 10,000 lbs.

Also, in answer to dezolen, I was on a 30 amp circuit at a State Park in Arkansas. I had no problems as long as I ran the water heater on gas and not electricity... Oh well, I will just put that on the list of things I want to ask the dealer when I bring it in for them to fix the few things that I found wrong in the trailer.

Cathy
Toyota Tundra 5.7 L v8
2009 Flagstaff 831BHSS
campercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #8

we had the same prob;em found that the main breaker was just a 15 amp like the rest instead of the 30 amp it should have been took it back to the dealer for them to replace
firedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campercat View Post
I have a brand new (2 weeks old) Flagstaff 831BHSS. It has the electric/gas water heater that I think is causing my breaker to go out alot. If I have the electric water heater on, and I turn on the microwave, it throws the breaker. If I have the water heater on gas, it does not do that. Is there a different solution to this or do I just have to not use the electric water heater?
First off congrats on the new unit. Once you have the few issues ironed out you'll be happy camping.

Which breaker is tripping? Hopefully it's not the 30 amp one.
Is it marked?
What size is it?

Your water heater draws 1500 watts.
You microwave draws 1300 watts.
There's 2800 watts of your 3600 watts right there. That's a little over 23 amps. If both of those appliances are on a 15 or 20 amp breaker, then they will trip it.

Your options are either turn your WH off while you're using the MW or go back to the dealer and have them add a separate breaker for one or the other. If it were me, I'd press the dealer into adding a breaker.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Avid outdoorsman

Problem is they are wired in on the same circuit . Most times they have their own circuits. It will be only a 15 ,20 amp breaker and you are drawing to much through the breaker , hence tripping it. Only way to fix is run another line if there is not a seperate plug in handy for one of the items . I would not suggest putting in a higher amp breaker as there is asaftey reason for having a 15 amp in the line in the first place. I have seen first hand what uping the amp size of a breaker to cure tripping problems can do . My buddy has a pile of melted aluminum out behind his place becuase he ran a 2 heaters on a circut that he replaced the breaker in to a higher amperage breaker .
dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #11

we had the same problem and we checked the breakers the main breaker coming in was only a 15 amp like the others when it should have been a 30 amp had to take it back to dealer for the switch havent had a problem since
firedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #12

How did you know it was a 15amp? Did it show 15amp or did someone check it and discovered it was 15amp?
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #13

Update.. Dealer could not duplicate breaker tripping, still thinks its the campground, I've been to the same campground for 7yrs with my old camper with no problem. I will say one thing, if I plug my camper into my house outlet, the breaker in camper never trips..maybe dealer is right, going on another trip this weekend so we'll see
Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #14

Well not good, just got back from a short 2 day trip and I still have a problem with main breaker tripping multiple times. So aggravating!!!!! But I can hook my camper to the house and it never trips no matter what I have on,, but at campground it trips many times.. can anyone help me solve this problem?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #15

I'd say the problem is with the campground power, possibly low amperage and or voltage. Many parks are fairly old and if they are full and everyone is using their AC or other high amperage appliances then it can cause a low amperage situation. It would only stand to reason if your RV is fine at home and not at the park the problem is with the park, it doesn't matter how many times you have been there in the past. Only way to know for sure is to buy a multi meter and test the park voltage next time you are there.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #16

I never had a problem with my other camper, and campers around my site said they have no problems so why my camper? This quirk is the only thing I dont like about this camper
Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohlingerrv View Post
But I can hook my camper to the house and it never trips no matter what I have on
We underdstand you really like the campground you go to but if the above statement is true then why do you keep coming to the same conclusion that it is the camper that is the problem?

Sorry we can't help you with your problem until you are open to other possibilites.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #18

Because I have been to 5 different campgrounds this summer and in all 5 the breaker is tripping. in all 5 I ask campers beside me if they have a problem all said no,, my old camper I camp for years and the breaker never trip..

Tags
breaker, flagstaff