Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #11

Yep, you have to send pix and a host of other info. Lions head is easy to deal with (NOT) and will take a lot of time to deal w the tire problem. You MAY get an allowance for $40-60/tire but it can take 2-4 weeks to get it all sorted out. I got "lucky" by going thru dealer. FR replaced 2axles w higher rated ones and gave a $65 per tire (x 5) as they included the spare. Still took 2 months of no TT to use and if I was "on the road" it would have been VERY frustrating so say the least.

Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #12

Glad you are alright. Do yourself a favor and get rid of those tires!!!! I had some that started cracking that weren't even a year old and 3 of the 4 had seperation starting. I upgraded to the next load range and size with Maxxis. I also now run the tst 507 as added peace of mind.

As was already said, get them balanced and go with the steel valve stem.

Safe travels.

FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #13

update on Tire issue , submited claim sheet and 5 pictures and reciept for new tire ... see what happens
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
go with the steel valve stem
What's the reasoning for this? Curious as to reason not challenging...

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #15

Rubber stems are rated at 50PSI and steel are rated at much higher. At least that's what the tire guy told me when I took my TT tire in for repair today. I had him replace the rubber with steel and I will take the rest in for replacement as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #16

Even steel stems can have different ratings. My G rated 110 psi had stems specified by Goodyear.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Rubber stems are rated at 50PSI and steel are rated at much higher. At least that's what the tire guy told me when I took my TT tire in for repair today. I had him replace the rubber with steel and I will take the rest in for replacement as well.
that's the answer. i have had one rubber stem break off before. i also run the screw on tire pressure monitor. that didn't help.
something else i noticed is that u have to double check the installers. i have had them put a metal stem on one and not another.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
that's the answer. i have had one rubber stem break off before. i also run the screw on tire pressure monitor. that didn't help.
something else i noticed is that u have to double check the installers. i have had them put a metal stem on one and not another.
Unless they have changed things since I had my last 3/4 ton GMC Suburban in 1997 the Suburban came standard with Load Rated "E" tires which are high pressure tires (max out at 80 psi 10 ply) they did have high pressure rated valve stems, but they were rubber not medal....Have they changed to all medal as standard high pressure valve stems now?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #19

they must have. believe the rubber ones were border line. don't know where that crossover is but 80 is too high for the rubber ones.
first time i encountered it was when i replaced a tire on my '84 F250. the tire manager came up with the stem having to be metal.
they put a bolt in type in (stem with retainer nut). the ones i've seen installed on my f350 are pushed in like the rubber stems but the rubber only goes up abt half way up the stem. believe the way u tell the difference is the shape of the rubber on the inside of the rim. the high pressure one is more squared off.
i've seen the ratings on the internet but now that i am looking for it, i can find bits and pieces but not what i'm looking for. if i find it, i will post it. i prefere info from official sites instead. when i find it in a forum, i like to follow the references.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #20

if this link works, it shows the difference in the stems and their rated pressures. u can see the difference in the part that goes below the rim in the snap in type.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Valve Types, Components and Uses