Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to saymond
Tires

If anyone has Ultra CRT tires beware! With about 1200 miles, tires look great on 2 year old 831RLSS Flaggstaff. Rolling at 60 MPH with cold PSI at 50 I had one blowout. I did a simple google search to find that they are Chinese made and several complaints to NHTSA have been filed. I lowered the cold PSI to 46 to allow a little room for pressure get a little higher and hopefully not blow another one. Does leave me concerned, however. It is a sad thing for a manufacturer to put such tires on any type of vehicle.
saymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Looks like you are a newby on the forums. this is an all to common complaint on the RV forums. It is a disgrace, but they are doing it for cost. As long as the trailers arrive at the dealers then it is our problem. Depending on what wheel size you have do some research using the search function above and you will find only one 15 inch tire that appears to be OK, and several really good 16 inch tire choices.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Can you list tires that are ok?

Thanks,
Al
ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

I changed mine over to Maxxis load range 'D'.
They have a good reputation.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

A friend of mine had 2 ultra CRT's blowout on his 831 rlss. It tore up his fender skirts and lower trim pretty bad. I had the same tires on my 831qbss. He and I both went to Maxxis load range D. I feel much more comfortable towing now. After reading all the threads and problems folks were having, I felt like it was a matter of time before I had blowout and really didn't like the thought of tearing up one or both sides of our trailer.
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

shouldnt let the air out, the tire is designed to carry the max load at the cold pressure stated on the tire. If you let the air out it also decreases the max load it will carry. always check them cold.

by the way I work for Goodyear, been there for 9 years havent heard of any problems with there Marathon trailer tire. U-haul also uses them.
gsbuick65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbuick65
shouldnt let the air out, the tire is designed to carry the max load at the cold pressure stated on the tire. If you let the air out it also decreases the max load it will carry. always check them cold.

by the way I work for Goodyear, been there for 9 years havent heard of any problems with there Marathon trailer tire. U-haul also uses them.
I am aware of issues with lowering pressure and that is the reason I only went down 4lbs. They were aired to the 50 psi the day before the tire blew. Those tires are junk with several complaints filed NHTSA. I have travelled from Louisiana to Arkansas since I dropped the pressure with no problems. I did, however, check them very often with the intent to change all four of them if I had the slightest problem. I also talked to my local Goodyear dealer who is a personal friend and he recommended not putting the Goodyear tires because his customers were have problems with them also.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Even Goodyear Marathons are made in China, don't believe it? Read the sidewall, the fine print.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider
Even Goodyear Marathons are made in China, don't believe it? Read the sidewall, the fine print.
Yes, you are right. It's hard to find tires that aren't made in china or anything for that matter.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #10

I also had 3 blowouts in less than 100 miles on night with my 831RLBSS and Ultra tires. They had 50 PSIG prior to parting that evening as I checked them. The tires had less than 2000 miles on them and looked great. I never drive faster than 65 MPH when pulling my rv. One of the blowouts caused major damage to my rv when it blew. I notified Carlile Tire and they have agreed to paying for the new tires I had to purchase and also to pay for the repairs to my rv. Since then I have installed US made tires and have a load range of D. I feel much better now. I also made Flagstaff aware of this issue with the tires. I understand that Carlile is no longer a supplier of tires for Flagstaff. Has anyone else heard that?
gj562000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Not all Goodyear Marathons are made in China. My size is made in Gadsden Alabama. If you go to a Goodyear dealership and "specify" the Gadsden plant, the warehouse will make sure they ship the correct plant's tires (Plant Code MD).

Otherwise it is a crap shoot. Sorry for the dirty tires; they were taken after a trip to a FAMCAMP at a Marine Base. Oooha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MD Manufacture Code.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	7339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 007.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	7340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 005.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Marathon Made in USA 006.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	7342  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbuick65 View Post

There was Silent Recall that goodyear will not admit to from 2000-2001 they were having alot of Marathon tires fail, you can look it up online. Many Marathon sizes are made in China!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Liz & Keith

Just had our first blow out ever! we have a 2006 8392ss. We were on the back roads of NC and a nice couple notified us when passing. The darn thing was in shreds and took out the wiring for the slide out. It marked up the skirting, but overall, we were fine. After reading these posts, we're replacing all of these tires. One tire in particular has no tread in just one mid tire section. It does not extend across the entire tire but just looks like something rubbed in one spot. Any ideas?
eswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Yes, you're right. But I had no choice since they were the only ones available on the day my tire blew out. From what I found in the area (Houston), I was lucky to find any tires in my size - Camping World and the other Goodyear dealer had been backordered for months.

In talking with the owner, while waiting to get all four replaced, he had the same problem and had installed the Chinese made Marathons on his 5er.

After doing some research, the brand seems to matter the most and where it's made is second.

The tires I bought were made in 2009, so when they get to their 5 year life and assuming they don't fail before then, I will be ordering some US made tires.

All other things being equal, I prefer Made in the US.

BTW - just picked up my trailer from the body shop a couple weeks ago. The tire caused $2,900 worth of damage, and I paid $900 to replace the tires. The tow truck driver, tire dealer, insurance agent, and body shop all said I was *lucky* that the damage was so minor - they've all seen much worse.
kablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablair View Post
After doing some research, the brand seems to matter the most and where it's made is second.
This is true. Goodyear QCs all tires that bear their name. Other imported "No name" tires are QC'ed by the US DoT. Nuff Said.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #16

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by saymond View Post
If anyone has Ultra CRT tires beware! With about 1200 miles, tires look great on 2 year old 831RLSS Flaggstaff. Rolling at 60 MPH with cold PSI at 50 I had one blowout. I did a simple google search to find that they are Chinese made and several complaints to NHTSA have been filed. I lowered the cold PSI to 46 to allow a little room for pressure get a little higher and hopefully not blow another one. Does leave me concerned, however. It is a sad thing for a manufacturer to put such tires on any type of vehicle.
I found the same problem on my 2006 Flagstaff fifth wheel! I had to purchase four new tires, got good service at Belle Tire in Kalamazoo, MI.
Melvin Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote