Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #1

Tires

Just bought a 2016 Flagstaff super lite 29 RKWS notice the tires were only a load range C. Some off brand Lions Head Tire and Wheel Ridgeway Sport anyone running this brand. Thinking about changing them out to Maxxis 10ply but it is a shame to have to buy new tires for a brand new camper which is not cheap but they put cheap tires could have at least put Load Range D come on people.
Mickey Moto
Mickey Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #2

It is what it is. As long as you're thinking about changing tires to (I'd suggest E-load) just spend the extra money to get 16" wheels to hold the new quality brand tires. That's what I'm in the process of doing.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
fmc

Change the tires ASAP! I did not on our 5er and paid the price with the traditional Chinese blowout!
fmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #4
WFD

This is an issue that has been beaten to death many times on this forum. A search on the topic will give you an endless supply of reading material on the topic. Going to a Load Range E might be a bit excessive, you will likely be fine with D's with lots of leeway in weight capacity. Depends on your actual weight, how much you are carrying and what the GVWR is on your trailer. Only you can determine that. I swapped out the tires on our 5th after one season and went from load range C's to D's.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
Change the tires ASAP! I did not on our 5er and paid the price with the traditional Chinese blowout!
X2
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting rid of the China bombs ASAP and going to the LRE tires. Only a few $ more, but worth every penny.
I now run Maxxis [made in Thailand] LREs on our TT as EVERY china bomb we have had on it has either blown out or had sidewall seperation in less than 3,000 miles. We suffered a total of $3,700 damage from two of the blowouts with TowMax tires and Akurets. Never again will I purchase and roll off the lot with garbage tires on an RV.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

I too, quickly changed out the original equipment "C" rated tires for Maxxis "D" rated once I educated myself to the problems and horror stories associated with original equipment tires. Look at this new additional expense as insurance and peace of mind.

Nothing wrong with the Maxxis 10 ply (E) but you likely don't need the added load capacity. I ended up choosing the Maxxis 8 ply rated (D) after talking to Maxxis and reviewing with them my RV weights and wheels. My aluminum wheels have a maximum 65 psi rating (per the rim manufacturer). Maxxis said there would be no advantage for me to put on the E's since at 65 psi the D's and E's have the same load capacity.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

After my first year using the stock load range C tires and worrying about them I swapped to load rage E tires and keep the pressure at 80psi. My local tire dealer who I trust said that the pressure/weight rating on my rims is not something to worry about. It is set where it is because of the number of lugs (5 on mine) and if I swapped to metal valve stems it would be good to go.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
Site Team

After a blowout with my "lions head" Trail Express LR-C, at @5500 miles, I moved up to Goodyear marathons load range D. (Still made in china) but feel more peace of mind knowing there are goodyears in every city.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
After my first year using the stock load range C tires and worrying about them I swapped to load rage E tires and keep the pressure at 80psi. My local tire dealer who I trust said that the pressure/weight rating on my rims is not something to worry about. It is set where it is because of the number of lugs (5 on mine) and if I swapped to metal valve stems it would be good to go.
I also switched to the metal valve stems as recommended by tire dealer. However, I still only inflate to the maximum 65 psi specified by the wheel/rim manufacturer. The wheels are the 5 bolt aluminum ones seen on late model Flagstaff/Rockwood Ultralites.

I am uniformed/uneducated as to what happens if the maximum PSI of a wheel is exceeded. I just prefer to keep the PSI within specs knowing that even at 65psi (and "D" tires) I have more load capacity than previously and likely more than the trailer/axles are rated to carry.

You may want to check the max PSI for your wheels.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

I also put 10 ply Maxxis at 80 psi so far no problems would like to put metal valve stems. Keep reading that they are hard to find to fit the Sumec wheels.
Mickey Moto
Mickey Moto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires