Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #41

I'm not a RV expert and never said I was so I can only give my experience. So if I wasted my time and money to bad for me. I do know that the smell on a couple of occasions seemed to be caused by air pushed down the vent pipe and as the traps were all full and the toilet valve was closed and cleaned it made sense to me that it could be helpful to add the vents. I have had no issues so far.
Not to be to sensitive why the attitude with the replies. What ever just trying to help.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #42
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I'm not a RV expert and never said I was so I can only give my experience. So if I wasted my time and money to bad for me. I do know that the smell on a couple of occasions seemed to be caused by air pushed down the vent pipe and as the traps were all full and the toilet valve was closed and cleaned it made sense to me that it could be helpful to add the vents. I have had no issues so far.
Not to be to sensitive why the attitude with the replies. What ever just trying to help.
phil dont take it to heart .......
im just trying to save someone from loosing 65.00
no hard feelings man

true you may get a stink when opening the toilet becuase the air is drafting backwards .

the only TRUE way to somewhat vent your tank of fumes by adding fresh air is to have a reversible fantastic fan and turn it to suck air in not out then open toilet .

alot of people make the mistake of turning the fan on when doing number 2 and when they flush the fumes from the tank will be sucked into your camper while toilet gate is open !

sorry if I made you upset .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #43

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

It is funny() to me we have to worry and spend so much so we don't have to smell poop!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #44

No problem I appreciate the response. I only got the smell when driving and it would last for 5 min. or an hour I figured the cyclones rotate to not allow air to pressurize the waste tank. Guess not. I don't want to hijack the thread I'll dig through the search and see what I find. I know there has been a lot written about the smells and causes.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
No problem I appreciate the response. I only got the smell when driving and it would last for 5 min. or an hour I figured the cyclones rotate to not allow air to pressurize the waste tank. Guess not. I don't want to hijack the thread I'll dig through the search and see what I find. I know there has been a lot written about the smells and causes.
do you use the "geo method" ?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

The vent pipe is strictly for preventing the tanks from collapsing during the emptying process. The system is completely closed with only the vent pipe as an opening, just like a soda or milk jug. If you fill a milk jug with water and turn it upside down, it will collapse the jug. Same thing would happen if you didn't have a vent pipe on the holding tanks. Also consider the vent pipe is at least 8ft or more from the tank. Blowing across the top of an 8 foot pipe 2" in dia. will not pull air out of a tank that is sealed.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #47

I use eco friendly product that I can't remember the name but was recommended by the service manager at our dealer. I flush the system at every dump and I think its about as clean as these things can be. I can't argue the effectiveness of these thinks. All the points that you all make are logical. I bought these at a RV show and the reason was again for a moving motorhome. If its a waste of money I did save the stock covers and will replace them when these need it.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #48

The OP answer is very clear in post#27,molded in top cap. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
The vent pipe is strictly for preventing the tanks from collapsing during the emptying process.
I respectfully disagree with that statement....at least the word "strictly". When you flush water down the toilet, that should start a slight air pressure increase in the tank. Ideally, instead of that extra air blowing back up the toilet connection, it should start the air flow up the vent pipe, and keep that flow going until the toilet valve is closed, so no fumes enter the camper.

And what about tank heating during the day ?? With the pressure increase, if the vent wasn't there, then you open the toilet valve and all of those fumes blow back into the camper.

The vent pipe serves several purposes, not just 1.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #50
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I respectfully disagree with that statement....at least the word "strictly"...

You are correct mtnguy, I should have used "primarily" instead of "strictly". As far as wind or air blowing across the vent whether with the Cyclone or whatever kind of cover is just not possible on a closed system as explained before especially with 8'-9' of pipe. Just can't happen. Now, if you open the toilet, whole new ball game.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex
Ok, I didn't measure while I was up there. So if I measure and it is 3" do I trim 1/2" or is it the correct hieght?
Yes, the cap says 2-2.5" above roof . The screw post is now 1/8-1/4" below cap. Need 1/2- 1" removed. Just confirm the mfg. direction to your cutline. It will allow better drainage for sure. Having trouble with internet or Forum site. Tough to log on.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Help me understand how the tornado do ma jiggy works on a closed system ?
I agree that in a closed system the cyclone vent does nothing more than the regular vent cap.

However, with the shape of the cyclone and it being able to move in all 360 degrees, with any wind it should cause a vacuum on the back or vent side. So, in theory, when the toilet valve is open it should pull air/fumes up the vent instead of allowing air/fumes up through the toilet valve. I can't see the vacuum effect being enough to make a great difference.

If you have the fantastic fan on, I'm sure it would override the effect of the vacuum.
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #53
2011 Berkshire 390BH

I understand the logic of the "science", but ever since I put the cyclone type things on the vents, no odor what so ever. Cost $65, DW and DD not complain about odor - PRICELESS!!! ;-).

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #54
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I agree that in a closed system the cyclone vent does nothing more than the regular vent cap.

However, with the shape of the cyclone and it being able to move in all 360 degrees, with any wind it should cause a vacuum on the back or vent side. So, in theory, when the toilet valve is open it should pull air/fumes up the vent instead of allowing air/fumes up through the toilet valve. I can't see the vacuum effect being enough to make a great difference.

If you have the fantastic fan on, I'm sure it would override the effect of the vacuum.

thinking outloud here but for the three seconds or less that your flush valve is open im thinking not much air is going to move anywhere .
if it works for you then im satisfied .
Old 09-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
thinking outloud here but for the three seconds or less that your flush valve is open im thinking not much air is going to move anywhere .
if it works for you then im satisfied .
Agreed... I don't have them, I think they are a gimmick... Your right if the system is closed it will do nothing... Their video on you tub shows driving down the street and not saying it but leave you to believe that the thing is sucking out the bad fumes... No way, unless someone has propped open the toilet valve or they have added another vent to the tanks...

http://youtu.be/zPvldWvC16g
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
Agreed... I don't have them, I think they are a gimmick... Your right if the system is closed it will do nothing... Their video on you tub shows driving down the street and not saying it but leave you to believe that the thing is sucking out the bad fumes... No way, unless someone has propped open the toilet valve or they have added another vent to the tanks...

Camco Cyclone RV Plumbing Vent - YouTube

Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #57

So if everything is working correctly all traps are full all toilet seals are closed all the time your system works better than mine. I sometimes have a seal that is held open a little by some paper or something else. I grab a rubber glove and clean it and it works fine. I have two toilets 3 sinks and a washer all hooked to one of two smelly tanks. I then drive down the road at 62 mph and sometimes my wife or someone else will use the toilet. I think that if the vent is at least not letting air enter the vent on the roof then it is helping with the smell. I never had the smell all the time but the once or twice is bad enough. It would happen when driving and almost always when showing it off to a friend or relative. I don't know if these work but i will post the smell comes back.