Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #1

Tongue Weight

We have a 2019 26RBWS.It has a tongue weight of 908lbs. We also added the second ac in the bedroom and we have the 4pt equlizer hitch.Both of these added weight to the actual weight thats put on the rear of the truck.How can I find out what the real tongue weight is with the added weight? This is not including whats in the front storage compartment.
AWLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #2

The only sure way to know is to weigh it. Either at the truck scales or using an actual tongue scale. There's also a method using a bathroom scale with a board and pivot block you can look up online. I think there's YouTube videos on that also. If your 908lb weight was in the factory specs, that's likely not accurate either.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #3

Buy a Sherline scale.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Tongue weight using bathroom scale or commercial scale.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Getting Tongue & Trailer Weights.pdf (137.2 KB, 53 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:36 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Buy a Sherline scale.
This!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #6

I agree, but a Sherline tongue weight scale
Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Here are my results using a Sherline scale and a visit to the CAT scale to determine tongue weight. At the RV storage lot, the Sherline scale says my trailer’s tongue weight is 760 lbs. At the CAT scale, with the trailer loaded for camping, my hitch weight is calculated to be 780 lbs. (Hitched drive axle weight 3,280 minus unhitched drive axle weight 2,500 lbs = 780.)

Either method (Sherline or CAT Scale) tells me my tongue weight is approximately 14.6% to 14.9% of gross trailer weight. (Based on this particular trip's gross trailer weight of 5,220 lbs.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherline Hitch Weight - Grey Wolf 25RL.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	207381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck - Trailer CAT Scale.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	207382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Only CAT Scale.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	207383  

Go West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Tongue weight using bathroom scale or commercial scale.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
That's an easy way to do it at home without a Sherline but be sure to have a good guess of the rough tongue weight before trying it or one could easily blow the scale apart. For instance, a 1,000 pound tw at 2:1 will apply 500 pounds on the scale. Most bath scales max at around 300. For most tt's, 3:1 will be the minimum and 4:1 or even 5:1 may be required.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
Here are my results using a Sherline scale and a visit to the CAT scale to determine tongue weight. At the RV storage lot, the Sherline scale says my trailer’s tongue weight is 760 lbs. At the CAT scale, with the trailer loaded for camping, my hitch weight is calculated to be 780 lbs. (Hitched drive axle weight 3,280 minus unhitched drive axle weight 2,500 lbs = 780.)

Either method (Sherline or CAT Scale) tells me my tongue weight is approximately 14.6% to 14.9% of gross trailer weight. (Based on this particular trip's gross trailer weight of 5,220 lbs.)

Curious how you managed to have zero weight transfer to/from the front axle hitched vs unhitched. Was your hitched weight with the WDH bars in place? If so, that would explain the front axle weights not changing but also means the tongue weight calculated from the CAT scale is incorrect due to WDH weight transfer.

Tongue weight using CAT scales has to be calculated with hitched but no WD bars in place (put them in the bed of the truck) steer+drive axle weights minus unhitched steer+drive axle weights.

I've never seen zero weight transfer off the front axle when hitched without WD bars on which is why I'm questioning your method.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #10

The truck and trailer were hitched with the weight distribution bars engaged; thus the transfer of weight back to the TV front axle when on the scales.

What you are saying, if I understand, is that if I had disengaged the weight distribution bars, the drive axle weight reading would have been higher. I can see that. However, it seems that the method I used gave me (in effect) my actual on-the-road hitch weight.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go West View Post
The truck and trailer were hitched with the weight distribution bars engaged; thus the transfer of weight back to the TV front axle when on the scales.

What you are saying, if I understand, is that if I had disengaged the weight distribution bars, the drive axle weight reading would have been higher. I can see that. However, it seems that the method I used gave me (in effect) my actual on-the-road hitch weight.
The WDH also transfers weight back to the trailer axles. Yes, with WDH bars on you see what weights are on the TV's axles (WDH doesn't take any weight off the hitch, it just helps redistribute it) but you cannot calculate the actual tongue weight with the 2 weight results you have.

I'll use my most recent weights as an example.

Unhitched TV:
Steer: 3200
Drive: 2680

Hitched w/ WDH:
Steer: 3020
Drive: 3460

Theoretical hitch weight: 600LB

That is not my actual hitch weight, though. The WDH (Which I have since adjusted to transfer more weight to the front) masks it due to the weight transfer back to the trailer.

Why does this matter? Trailer loading and balance. If the tongue is too light or too heavy compared to total trailer weight then it won't tow as well. You need the true, loaded-for-the-road tongue weight in order to determine if the trailer is properly loaded.

You're bumping up against the 15% max guideline for hitch weight, that's not really a good place to be. That puts a lot more momentum and stress on your TV when going over bumps and tends to cause excessive porpoising/heaving. Our trailer was similar during our first long trip, redistributing the load in the trailer to reduce tongue weight % down closer to 12% made a big difference.

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
You're bumping up against the 15% max guideline for hitch weight, that's not really a good place to be. That puts a lot more momentum and stress on your TV when going over bumps and tends to cause excessive porpoising/heaving. Our trailer was similar during our first long trip, redistributing the load in the trailer to reduce tongue weight % down closer to 12% made a big difference.
Yes, my readings (including the Sherline scale weight) show that my trailer is at the high end of acceptable range for tongue weight. Since this trip I've removed my tool box and other items from the front storage compartment and placed them in other locations (e.g., underneath the dinette) over or behind the trailer axle.

I'll try the method you describe next visit to the CAT scale to see the difference (WDH in bed of the truck, then hitched steer+drive axle weights minus TV unhitched steer+drive axle weights). Thanks for your post. Always learning something on this forum.

Tags
tongue weight, weight