Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 05:57 PM   #1

Tough Way To Learn A Ford Lesson

Second trip out with the new 832OKBS and first pull with our new F250. Ford has decided to add a feature to the key fob that allows you to lower the tailgate. SO, as I am driving home on Sunday, pulling the Flagstaff, apparently I pressed the button twice for the tailgate while in my pocket! So, I pull into the driveway and make my loop to back in to the building, and CRUNCH. Wiped out my tailgate and the electric jack! Had no idea it was down! SO, I have some new pieces for an electric jack if anybody needs something? It's an FIC 3500. Free parts if anybody needs them. I bought a new unit because the gear casing was cracked and the plastic shroud was destroyed as well, but the shaft, motor, switches and light are all still good.
Calling Ford to see if I can disable that feature on our truck!

Home Base - Celina, TX
Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdonald View Post
Second trip out with the new 832OKBS and first pull with our new F250. Ford has decided to add a feature to the key fob that allows you to lower the tailgate. SO, as I am driving home on Sunday, pulling the Flagstaff, apparently I pressed the button twice for the tailgate while in my pocket! So, I pull into the driveway and make my loop to back in to the building, and CRUNCH. Wiped out my tailgate and the electric jack! Had no idea it was down! SO, I have some new pieces for an electric jack if anybody needs something? It's an FIC 3500. Free parts if anybody needs them. I bought a new unit because the gear casing was cracked and the plastic shroud was destroyed as well, but the shaft, motor, switches and light are all still good.
Wow, not a feature I would want either. Sorry for your mishap.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

boy what a bummer, my new RAM also has a fob I leave it in the cup holder when driving after setting off the alarm several times
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Open up the tailgate and disconnect the wires to the solenoid.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Seems to me a disable while in drive or rev would be a no-brainer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #6

Wow even my 2001 the fob for the doors and alarm won't work when key in ignition is on. I don't see why they couldn't for the newer trucks?

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Open up the tailgate and disconnect the wires to the solenoid.
I have to leave the mechanism in the tailgate activated electronically. The new Ford tailgates don't have a manual latch anymore. You have to push a rubber coated switch to lower the tailgate, or push the button on the dash, or push the key fob button twice. Love my truck and Ford products in general, but now I know to keep an eye on my tailgate in the rear view mirror. I installed a Back Flip hard tonneau cover, but I can still see the raised edge of the tailgate pretty easy. I just never thought to keep an eye on it before. I'm so dang particular about scratches and dings on my stuff, that this just made me sick at my stomach! Truck just turned 3000 miles. And let me tell you, the Lariat tailgates ain't cheap! It has the pull out step, back up camera and LED night courtesy light. Nothing but money, huh guys? GOOD GRIEF!!!!!

Home Base - Celina, TX
Old 07-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #8

If anybody wants to share my pain! LOL

Home Base - Celina, TX
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Another Ford bright Idea that again not thought out. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:16 PM   #10

I think perhaps something else might have happened , unless your 2017 f250 is different from my 2016 f150 Lariat.

My tailgate will not open when the vehicle is in motion, I've tried.

Look not an allocation called "forscan'" if you want to disable things in your truck. It's a free program, but you need to by an old II interface to use it. I bought a $100 MX BT module and can program everything from automatic mirror folding to remote controlled windows up and down.

I turned off that damned double honk when you leave the truck with the key and enabled "secure idle", which locks the shifter in park if you leave it running when you get out with the key. It's a police package option, but everyone should have it. Keeps people from jumping in Your truck and driving away if you just get out to check the mailbox or something.

I also changed that damned panic alarm to 3 presses. I could hit it twice in my pocket sometimes for some reason. Now it never goes off.

There a big thread on f150forum.net about what you can change with forscan.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post
Look not an allocation called "forscan'" if you want to disable things in your truck. It's a free program, but you need to by an old II interface to use it. I bought a $100 MX BT module and can program everything from automatic mirror folding to remote controlled windows up and down.

I turned off that damned double honk when you leave the truck with the key and enabled "secure idle", which locks the shifter in park if you leave it running when you get out with the key. It's a police package option, but everyone should have it. Keeps people from jumping in Your truck and driving away if you just get out to check the mailbox or something.

I also changed that damned panic alarm to 3 presses. I could hit it twice in my pocket sometimes for some reason. Now it never goes off.

There a big thread on f150forum.net about what you can change with forscan.

Where are you in the Great White? Can I drive up and have you reprogram my truck? Auto mirror fold, panic alarm, secure idle and the *&^%$ horn honk that the truck is running...

Heck, I'll pick up a liter of whatever you want as I cross the border!!!
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Where are you in the Great White? Can I drive up and have you reprogram my truck? Auto mirror fold, panic alarm, secure idle and the *&^%$ horn honk that the truck is running...

Heck, I'll pick up a liter of whatever you want as I cross the border!!!

Look into forscan and the website I mentioned. It's really as easy as just changing a few numbers. Less than a $100 and some reading and you're off and running.they have a spreadsheet with all the values and even a "simple Simon" step by step guide.

My Lariat is a 502A (option level), so I've got some options that you can't do on a 500 or 501A. XLT's (300, 301, 302) are a bit more restricted since they are wired a little differently. Like my 502A, everything works on the Platinum, king Ranch and Limited levels.

What I've done so far:

Autofold mirrors on door lock, known as "Lincoln style fold" (folds on lock but only unfolds when drivers door is opened and closed)
Double honk off
Secure idle
Add heated seats and steering wheel controls on home screen (nav)
Seat belt reminder off
Added digital readouts above coolant temp and transmission temp "sliders"
3 press for panic mode
Remote windows up and down (front windows only)
Probably a few more small things I'm not remembering....

More involved and requiring hardware changes:
Adaptive cruise (have to add bumper harness, radar module and dash hud module)
Hill decent (only need a switch added to dash and a bit flip)
Lane keeping assist (really expensive, need a $1500 rear view mirror with the lane camera in it and a Ford IDS scan tool, some switches, a wiring harness and some rather pricey trim pieces)

I've got the stuff to do paralel and perpendicular parking, but can't seem to screw up enough courage to drill holes in my front fenders to mount the sensors. It's not like it's something I'd use much anyways. More of a "do it because I can" thing.

There's lots more you can do with forscan. Quite remarkable for a free program.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

See if this may work for you. I installed aftermarket backup sensors on our Silverado. They work great---except. When I am backing up with a trailer attached, the beeper drives be wacko. So, I wired in a small toggle switch into the seat belt trim housing. When I back up, I just disable the sensors. You may be able to do the same with your tailgate mechanism.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #14

Look around in the front of the truck cab. There should be a rocker switch that opens the tailgate independent of the key fob. One side will open and close the tailgate; the other end should shut off the solenoid and allow manual open and close, not to mention disable the same feature on your key fob. I had this item for the lift gate on my old 2014 Chevy Tahoe. I disabled it when we were getting ready to tow the trailer so I wouldn't destroy the lift gate by accident.

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #15

Question for Macdonald about new Ford Super Duty

I am not trying to steal your thread.......just out of curiosity,
how did your new Super Duty tow your trailer?
Did you experience any sway or tail wagging the dog?
I have a 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3006 and recently traded my 2007 F-350 dually Diesel (which did a wonderful job towing) for a new 2017 F-350 SRW 6.2 gasser. This new truck tows horribly.....trailer sway above 60mph almost scary. I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my setup. The trailer almost acts like it has no tongue weight.....which I know is not the case, it sets the truck down almost 4" when hitched without the Blue Ox WDH bars cranked up.
SAILINGIRWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM   #16

Wow, I thought my 2016 F150 was the issue with the sway and was going to trade up to an 2017 F250 or 350. I feel the new bodies (2015 F150s newer and 2017 Supper duties ) lighter frames may have something to do with this. I could be wrong, but from what I've read people with older fords, had better luck towing bigger trailers than some of the newer trucks with the lighter frames. I have new heavier WD bars coming in tomorrow for my rig and hope it helps, otherwise may be looking for a leftover 2016 F250.
J007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white View Post

Look into forscan and the website I mentioned. It's really as easy as just changing a few numbers. Less than a $100 and some reading and you're off and running.they have a spreadsheet with all the values and even a "simple Simon" step by step guide.

My Lariat is a 502A (option level), so I've got some options that you can't do on a 500 or 501A. XLT's (300, 301, 302) are a bit more restricted since they are wired a little differently. Like my 502A, everything works on the Platinum, king Ranch and Limited levels.

What I've done so far:

Autofold mirrors on door lock, known as "Lincoln style fold" (folds on lock but only unfolds when drivers door is opened and closed)
Double honk off
Secure idle
Add heated seats and steering wheel controls on home screen (nav)
Seat belt reminder off
Added digital readouts above coolant temp and transmission temp "sliders"
3 press for panic mode
Remote windows up and down (front windows only)
Probably a few more small things I'm not remembering....

More involved and requiring hardware changes:
Adaptive cruise (have to add bumper harness, radar module and dash hud module)
Hill decent (only need a switch added to dash and a bit flip)
Lane keeping assist (really expensive, need a $1500 rear view mirror with the lane camera in it and a Ford IDS scan tool, some switches, a wiring harness and some rather pricey trim pieces)

I've got the stuff to do paralel and perpendicular parking, but can't seem to screw up enough courage to drill holes in my front fenders to mount the sensors. It's not like it's something I'd use much anyways. More of a "do it because I can" thing.

There's lots more you can do with forscan. Quite remarkable for a free program.

Hello Great White,

I have a 2016 F150 with the Sync3, large screen. Ever figure out a way to integrate the Furion rear camera from my 2016 VLite tt with the factory Sync 3 screen so I don't have to use the little screen that came from Furion?
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1 View Post
Hello Great White,

I have a 2016 F150 with the Sync3, large screen. Ever figure out a way to integrate the Furion rear camera from my 2016 VLite tt with the factory Sync 3 screen so I don't have to use the little screen that came from Furion?
I always wondered if this could be done too.
J007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1 View Post
Hello Great White,

I have a 2016 F150 with the Sync3, large screen. Ever figure out a way to integrate the Furrion rear camera from my 2016 VLite tt with the factory Sync 3 screen so I don't have to use the little screen that came from Furrion?
I've been told that's not possible. Sure wish it was, and hopefully someone else will prove me wrong on info that I received. That would sure simplify things a great deal.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdonald View Post
My 2015 F150 King Ranch has the same feature but mine will not open while in motion. It will however open when stopped and in park. Are you sure you didn't hit it when you were parked and not realize it? Bummer no matter what.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford