Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Gunnergm1, I misread your 1st post, and thought you put a deposit down on a 2010 F150, and already purchased the V-Lite. Some of my comments in post #6 were off base since you already have the F150.

But I will stick to my comment: The 2010 is 1 tough lookn' truck.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #12
Now a "Top Member"

I think if you tow a lot with that truck, or great distances, you will probably be pretty disappointed. The newer 3V 5.4L engines are great engines, but that is a lot of trailer, and as noted, you are very close to your GVWR before you even pull up to the lot. My personal opinion would be another truck...a beefier (3/4) that will be able to handle that trailer like it should. You will really feel it trying to maintain highway speeds (though I believe the V nose should help that a LOT), and on the hills/mountains. If you do keep it, I sure would be interested in seeing how it does.

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #13

Not a problem mtnguy. Yes it's a really nice looking truck. I only hope it's up for it's career in RVing

EdJunior, I will keep everyone posted on how my F150 does. If it's not up for the job then I may try the 3.73 gear. If that does not work then a dealer somewhere is going to stick it to me if I can't sell it outright. Man I hate the thought of taking a hit on a new vehicle. I won't be looking to make a dime I just don't want to be upside down by 3 or 4 grand. Thanks,
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

To the list of mods for a 1/2 ton in any towing situation, add a tranny temp gauge and a fan cooled additional tranny cooler. If you're going to break something it will be the tranny and keeping it cool will help prevent tranny damage.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #15

I pulled a 29 foot TT witha 1500, yes it pulled it. However the future trips are not on flat ground. You go to West Virginia, Colorado, or any place with big hills, the extra power of a 2500 is nice. The bottom line is you go where you want when you want with what you want.

Life is something to do when you've finished breakfast
Chuck & Margie
Both Retired
08 2500HD Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Flagstaff 829fkss
Round Mound of Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #16

Trade it now. I pulled a 26' with a truck like you have and was very disapointed even on flat land like here in Florida. Went to Stone Mountain GA and came back and traded for a 1-ton. No you don't need a 1-ton, but a F250 would be better. With the F150 even going over bridges here in Florida you could tell the TT was back there. After getting the bigger truck even my 9 year old GD said "wow, papa you don't feel the TT back there do you" so yes there is a difference. If the dealer lets yuo take one of his out for a test pull you will see. Be sure to pull it atlease 50 miles on the highway with big rigs passing you and all.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
To the list of mods for a 1/2 ton in any towing situation, add a tranny temp gauge and a fan cooled additional tranny cooler. If you're going to break something it will be the tranny and keeping it cool will help prevent tranny damage.
Gunnergm1, the tranny temperature gauge is a good idea. I bought a ScanGuage II (ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool) to monitor that. Easy to hook up to your OBDII port, and fairly easy to program. I have seen my tranny temperature peak at 215 crossing a winding, steep grade over the Blue Ridge here. I don't like it that high, but it only stays there for about 5 minutes or less. Usual operating temperature is in the 160 to 170 degree range. With the 6 speed transmissions that Ford now uses, I would think you would have a better choice of gears for steep climbs pulling a trailer......I wish I had the 6 speed instead of the 4 speed. I have to pull Swift Run Gap in 2nd gear with the torque converter unlocked....hence the temperature increase.

The ScanGauge II can also monitor a number of engine and transmission functions. I monitor torque converter slippage (and whether it is locked-up or not), gear ratio, current mpg, as well as the tranny temperature. Another screen can give you current, day, previous, and tank readings including mpg, max rpm, gas used, tank to empty, max. cooling temperature, miles traveled, miles to empty......and I forget what else. It is really a neat little device for $170.

I think the most important thing I have learned using the ScanGauge II is how the transmission and torque converter work. I always thought my 1st down shift was from 4th to 3rd.....not. The 1st downshift that I feel is the torque converter unlocking. Then if I need more power, the tranny will shift into 3rd, and then depending on power demand, the torque converter can lock-up again.

And watching the mpg readout has caused me to be a little easier on the gas pedal.....and I thought I was being good with that before I bought that puppy.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #18

Gunnergm1, I personally wouldn't let all of this scare you into trading for a different truck. I know my wife says I'm absolutely not trading mine....So, I have added mods to make it work. Remember, MOSTLY all a F 250 is anyway is heavier duty suspension and some engine improvements like trans. cooler and a HD radiator, maybe PS cooler, probably LT tires, and sometimes a little better tranny. You can do most of this stuff to your current truck yourself fairly easily, and a little at the time, and you will be fine with what you have. You can get the rear gears changed at most any dealer, as well as 4 wheel drive specialty shops. I know my Dodge already had the HD radiator, trans.cooler, PS cooler, and the tow/haul transmission switch on the shifter. So, all I did worked pretty well for me. No, I probably wouldn't go pulling the V in the Smokies, but around here where it's relatively flat, I'm fine. And, with a rear end gear change, I'm confident my setup would pull fine through the mountains, as well. Remember, these "lite" designated trailers were actually built and designed specifically for the 1500/150 trucks to tow them. Good Luck, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Well said, Randy. And coming from someone that has a similar truck and the same camper, your experience is key to this whole thread.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #20

08flagvlie,
Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I already have the tow/haul toggle and the tranny temperature, oil temp, and of course water temp gauges. I will be getting tires with a stronger side wall before my TT arrives and the dealer is installing my Reese equalizer hitch. My truck has a transmission cooler that sets just in from of the radiator. I could always upgrade the cooler size and I will check into the 3.73 gears. Is the gears thing just a matter of a different rear end gear or is there more to it than that?

This forum is very helpful. Thanks everyone. I will let everyone know how my rig does once it comes in. I added two more exhaust fans that the factory will install and the power stabilizers and my dealer is installing two more batteries to the TT. We are excited.

Tags
f150, flagstaff