Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6
Towing capacity?

I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4x4 double cab. Currently towing Flagstaff Travel trailer 29ft, 6,000lbs loaded. Thinking of moving up to Flagstaff 5th wheel, classic lite, dry weight 7800lbs. My truck is equipped with towing package. Anyone towing a 5th wheel with a tundra or F150? Would appreciate your comments.
__________________

__________________
jslager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
wyo700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 892
So your probably talking 8500-9000 pounds loaded. Thinking that is where a 3/4 ton truck comes into play. Your going to be at that trucks limits maybe over.
__________________

__________________
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Weigh each axle of the Tundra with you and the family in it, along with whatever cargo you intend to carry. Subtract those weights from the GVWR listed on the drivers side door, and also subtract the rear axle weight from the RAWR on the door.

You did not list what 5th wheel model you thinking about. Figuring the listed dry weight of 7800 lbs., you might be traveling down the road with over 9000 lbs of trailer. Again, figuring just 20% of that, the pin weight might be 1800 lbs. Add another 200 lbs for a hitch. All of that is going to be over your rear axle. If you have over a 2000 lb. difference with what your rear axle weight rating is and your the actual going over the scales, then you might be good. You also need to to figure your GVWR and GCWR.

I don't imagine that any of those numbers are going be very promising.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
kfp673's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Weigh each axle of the Tundra with you and the family in it, along with whatever cargo you intend to carry. Subtract those weights from the GVWR listed on the drivers side door, and also subtract the rear axle weight from the RAWR on the door.

You did not list what 5th wheel model you thinking about. Figuring the listed dry weight of 7800 lbs., you might be traveling down the road with over 9000 lbs of trailer. Again, figuring just 20% of that, the pin weight might be 1800 lbs. Add another 200 lbs for a hitch. All of that is going to be over your rear axle. If you have over a 2000 lb. difference with what your rear axle weight rating is and your the actual going over the scales, then you might be good. You also need to to figure your GVWR and GCWR.

I don't imagine that any of those numbers are going be very promising.
I know Toyota tries to sell the Tundra as being bigger and heavier then the others but at the end of the day it's a 1/2 ton truck. I have a TT that loaded is in the mid 8's and it pushed my 1/2 ton all over the road and I was white knuckling it every time. I just went to a 3/4 ton and it makes all the difference in the world. Now my truck can tow 13K + so 8-9K is nothing. Some people totally play by the rules and make sure the trailer stays well under the max ratings. I'm sure one day I will have a 5er that is over weight for my truck but not by much. Get a 3/4 or stay under 8K IMO
__________________
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 120
You will be over your payload capacity pretty fast, if not immediately once the pin weight is on the truck. 1/2 T trucks by nature dont have much capacity to begin with. My Crewmax only has 1320# of payload. I am currently right at that with my light Sport 295 and family loaded up.

The Tundra engine and brakes are up to it, it will pull a house and still stop. The tires will not be unless you upgraded to E rated models. The suspension is next - figure airbags, extra leaf, Timbrens, etc. to keep the rear from sagging and bouncing. None of that will add to your payload rating. That is the biggest problem with 1/2 T trucks. There are lots of engines with plenty of power to pull 8-10K pounds down the road. They are just not setup for a lot of payload and are tuned more for a decent ride vs. hauling some weight.

Will it do it? Most likely. Are their others doing it? Most likely. Are they over their payload rating? Most likely! Up to you to go over or not...
__________________
'15 XLR 27HFS
'15 Nissan NVP 3500 SL
Campers - Me, DW, 3 - DS (7, 5, 3), 2 large dogs
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South West PA
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslager View Post
I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4x4 double cab. Currently towing Flagstaff Travel trailer 29ft, 6,000lbs loaded. Thinking of moving up to Flagstaff 5th wheel, classic lite, dry weight 7800lbs. My truck is equipped with towing package. Anyone towing a 5th wheel with a tundra or F150? Would appreciate your comments.
YOU can do the math, hope this helps.

Tow Vehicle Sizing

RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-t.../:signhavefun:
__________________
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,616
Here is the link grayfox provided. I wasn't able to access it in his post because the smiley got in the way.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South West PA
Posts: 2,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by terier View Post
here is the link grayfox provided. I wasn't able to access it in his post because the smiley got in the way.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

sorry about that smiley...
__________________
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
sorry about that smiley...
I like the smiley...he has a nice big grin. Much better than a frown anyday.

grayfox - I bookmark your links for my use. They seem really helpful. Thanks for sharing.
__________________

__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 PM.