Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

Towing capacity?

I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4x4 double cab. Currently towing Flagstaff Travel trailer 29ft, 6,000lbs loaded. Thinking of moving up to Flagstaff 5th wheel, classic lite, dry weight 7800lbs. My truck is equipped with towing package. Anyone towing a 5th wheel with a tundra or F150? Would appreciate your comments.
jslager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #2

So your probably talking 8500-9000 pounds loaded. Thinking that is where a 3/4 ton truck comes into play. Your going to be at that trucks limits maybe over.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Weigh each axle of the Tundra with you and the family in it, along with whatever cargo you intend to carry. Subtract those weights from the GVWR listed on the drivers side door, and also subtract the rear axle weight from the RAWR on the door.

You did not list what 5th wheel model you thinking about. Figuring the listed dry weight of 7800 lbs., you might be traveling down the road with over 9000 lbs of trailer. Again, figuring just 20% of that, the pin weight might be 1800 lbs. Add another 200 lbs for a hitch. All of that is going to be over your rear axle. If you have over a 2000 lb. difference with what your rear axle weight rating is and your the actual going over the scales, then you might be good. You also need to to figure your GVWR and GCWR.

I don't imagine that any of those numbers are going be very promising.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
Weigh each axle of the Tundra with you and the family in it, along with whatever cargo you intend to carry. Subtract those weights from the GVWR listed on the drivers side door, and also subtract the rear axle weight from the RAWR on the door.

You did not list what 5th wheel model you thinking about. Figuring the listed dry weight of 7800 lbs., you might be traveling down the road with over 9000 lbs of trailer. Again, figuring just 20% of that, the pin weight might be 1800 lbs. Add another 200 lbs for a hitch. All of that is going to be over your rear axle. If you have over a 2000 lb. difference with what your rear axle weight rating is and your the actual going over the scales, then you might be good. You also need to to figure your GVWR and GCWR.

I don't imagine that any of those numbers are going be very promising.
I know Toyota tries to sell the Tundra as being bigger and heavier then the others but at the end of the day it's a 1/2 ton truck. I have a TT that loaded is in the mid 8's and it pushed my 1/2 ton all over the road and I was white knuckling it every time. I just went to a 3/4 ton and it makes all the difference in the world. Now my truck can tow 13K + so 8-9K is nothing. Some people totally play by the rules and make sure the trailer stays well under the max ratings. I'm sure one day I will have a 5er that is over weight for my truck but not by much. Get a 3/4 or stay under 8K IMO
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

You will be over your payload capacity pretty fast, if not immediately once the pin weight is on the truck. 1/2 T trucks by nature dont have much capacity to begin with. My Crewmax only has 1320# of payload. I am currently right at that with my light Sport 295 and family loaded up.

The Tundra engine and brakes are up to it, it will pull a house and still stop. The tires will not be unless you upgraded to E rated models. The suspension is next - figure airbags, extra leaf, Timbrens, etc. to keep the rear from sagging and bouncing. None of that will add to your payload rating. That is the biggest problem with 1/2 T trucks. There are lots of engines with plenty of power to pull 8-10K pounds down the road. They are just not setup for a lot of payload and are tuned more for a decent ride vs. hauling some weight.

Will it do it? Most likely. Are their others doing it? Most likely. Are they over their payload rating? Most likely! Up to you to go over or not...
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslager View Post
I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4x4 double cab. Currently towing Flagstaff Travel trailer 29ft, 6,000lbs loaded. Thinking of moving up to Flagstaff 5th wheel, classic lite, dry weight 7800lbs. My truck is equipped with towing package. Anyone towing a 5th wheel with a tundra or F150? Would appreciate your comments.
YOU can do the math, hope this helps.

Tow Vehicle Sizing

RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-t.../:signhavefun:
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Here is the link grayfox provided. I wasn't able to access it in his post because the smiley got in the way.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by terier View Post
here is the link grayfox provided. I wasn't able to access it in his post because the smiley got in the way.

http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

sorry about that smiley...
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
sorry about that smiley...
I like the smiley...he has a nice big grin. Much better than a frown anyday.

grayfox - I bookmark your links for my use. They seem really helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote