Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

towing flagstaff 829rkss

anyone own this trailer and what do you tow with. I am towing with a 2007 Yukon xl Denali, and I seem to have a large amount of sway. It is the old tail wagging the dog syndrome. What can I do to correct this?
Any suggestions would help.
I have a reese Dual Cam. 800lb trunion bars
thewren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #2

If you are getting sway with dual cam, then it's probably not adjusted correctly (most wrong adjustments don't tip the ball far enough back, and therefore when the bars are level, they don't have enough tension), or the trailer is loaded heavy behind the axle.

Axle weights of the Denali and the trailer, with bars loaded, and with bars unloaded, may give you a clue.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Besides the excellent ideas that Fire Instructor has posted, I think there may be some other areas to consider.

Those 800 lb. bars may not be heavy enough. I can't find the specs for a 829RBKS, but some of the current Flagstaff 829 models have upwards of 860 lbs. listed as empty dry weights. In reality, after adding propane tanks, a battery, and camping gear, those figures may in the 1100 lb. range ready to go down the road. 800 lb. bars are not going to distribute that kinda of weight properly.

My idea is to get some accurate weights, including a true tongue weight via either the bathroom scale method (Hitching Up - Trailer - Tongue Weight), a trailer tongue scale, or going across some scales with the Yukon both with the trailer attached (without the bars hooked up) and then again without the trailer....the difference in weights will be the trailer tongue weight.

Also, getting some axle weights of the Yukon with and without the trailer hooked up (and both with and without the bars in place) can give you some valuable information. Things like trailer weight distributing (tongue percentage of total trailer weight), and how the weight is distributed on the Yukon axles.

As a comparison, here are the weights that I came up with with my combo: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ats-11523.html

That is probably a 33' trailer being pulled by a 130" wheelbase SUV, so you need to get the weight distributing tweaked as best as possible to make it a pleasant and safe towing experience.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

I guess I should give you the correct model and that might help.
829RKSS Sorry for the mistake, you would think I know my own camper. Here are some weights that I have.
On our first trip with camper and having water tank 1/3 full,
TV front axle 3500
TV rear axle 4220
trailer axle 7260
Total weight 14980
This was on a cat scale at a pilot gas station.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

As mtnguy has posted your 800lb bars might not be strong enough. The posted dry weight for your TT is almost 700lbs. You will need the get the tongue weight of your TT. I had to upgrade my bars to 1200lbs. form 800lbs.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It is great that thewren got those weights.....that is a good start. But without knowing what the Yukon weights are under similar conditions without the trailer hooked up, we don't know if the WHD is setup properly.

My initial thoughts after viewing the weights in post #4:

The trailer is possible overloaded. The 829RKSS lists a GVWR at 7950 lbs. That usually includes the weight of the tongue. Comparing it to the listed weights of my trailer, FR may be figuring a loaded tongue weight of 950 lbs., and 7000 lbs. on the axles......2 3500 lb. axles. If that is the case, both the axles and probably the tires are over the maximum weights.

Without knowing the empty weight of the Yukon, here is more speculation. With a front axle weight of 3500 lbs., the WDH probably is putting some weight up there, but I am wondering if rear axle weight of 4220 might be exceeding the RAWR (rear axle weight rating). thewren, check the drivers side door sticker.....the axle ratings should be posted there.

Looking at the layout of that trailer, it looks like much of the storage is concentrated in the back end of the trailer. 2 fridges, pantries, wardrobes back there can add a lot of weight. This may cause the tongue weight percentage to go below 10%, when ideally it should be in the 12% area. That could cause the swaying.

I haven't found a good website that lists tow ratings and GCWR for the Yukon, but have found several sites that mention 7700 or 7900 lbs. for the maximum tow rating....properly equipped. If that is so, the the Yukon may be over the tow capacity and maybe the GVWR towing that trailer.

BTW, I changed the subject line to the proper trailer model.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Well I got a used Hensley Arrow and we will see with this does for better control.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

Hensley

Just brought home a new 2010 LaCrosse 303RKS. Put our old Hensley from our Wildwood 30FKSS on it and towed 225 miles in the cold and wind with no sway. The Hensley will surely help, if you got the right weigth bars, our trailer had a tongue weigth of 1100+ lbss.

Good luck with your Hensley and if you have any questions about it let me know and I will try and help.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote