Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

Smile Towing preference?

We now pull our 2011 26 RLS Flagstaff with a 2003 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.0 engine. We're looking at a 2005 Suburban 2500 with 8.1 engine as we feel we need more power up and down high hills. The Denali pressure gauge goes up about 15 degrees or more when pulling in the hot summer. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the comparison between the two? Thanks a bunch.
thinkinghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you mean temp gauge?

Do you know what gear ratio is in the denali?

You will absolutely not like the fuel mileage from the 8.1

Have your thermostat checked in the 6.0 .

Install an electric fan in it as well that will help

Start with the thermostat and maybe even a flush
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. The gear ratio is 3.73 if that's what you mean. My husband watches the temperature gauge all the time when it starts creeping up. But, it almost gets in the red when driving on a hot day. I know the radiator has never been flushed and that's a great suggestion. We'd never camped before getting this truck so your information is quite valuable. Happy camping!!
thinkinghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also have the clutch fan checked it may be weak.
that 6.0 shouldn't run warm
373 is good
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The rad on your Denali might need to be re-cored...when re-cored they can change the number of rows and increase the cooling efficiency.

I think that the cooling problems are fixable. I really don't think that you need more power with your set-up...our camper's probably about 6000 lbs loaded. It's not that unusual to lose some speed climbing steeper climbs and have the trans downshift. The Surburban 8.1 will have more power, but also weighs a lot more. Unless you need the extra payload capacity of the Surburban, I say to stick with what you got.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #6

I have a 04 Yukon Denali xl. Tow about 7000 pounds. I did do a radiator flush for first time last year. You might also have the themostat checked as trans cooler is in the radiator. Mine was getting hot on hot days 95+ weather going up hill, but never red line, probably peak at 210 - 215 deg on the trans temp gauge. After that experience I installed a radiator cooler which has lowered temps 10-15 deg on hot days, but it won't fix a redline situation. Highly recommend you install a extra trans cooler kit in series with the factory cooler. I think 03 had factory coolers on them. You can figure if you have a factory one by looking at the hoses going into the radiator. Trans cooler on the Denali is inside the radiator.
jleon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

after thinking about it your denali may have electric fans stock with no clutch fan.
either the case check and or install these items.
1) thermostat
2) clutch fan (if equipped ) you can also upgrade to a hd towing unit .
3) flush radiator
4) check for and or install external transmission cooler
5) if it has factory electric fans check to make sure there working
6) change differential gear lubes (front and rear) and engine and transmission oils to synthetic. (if there not already)

Normal operating temperature range of this engine is 210 - 215 degrees.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM   #8

We had a 1990 Astro Van with a 373 and pulled a 1994 23RL Jayco TT. We had overheating problems until we added another trans cooler. We drove it until it has 350,000 miles on it...gave it to our son and it had an oil leak and he blew it up. I think if he had taken care of it it would have easily gotten 500,00 miles. Now on the other hand we got another Astro in 2003 brand new with exact same specs and we couldn't pull it without tearing up the rear end...actually had a noise in the rear when we owned it for two weeks. Anyway had it "fixed" several times and it still whines. Drives fine, but noisy, I'm gonna keep it til the wheels fall off.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM   #9
ARLO

towing

I would think that either should pull it, I towed a 829FK 4500 miles thru the canadian maritime provences with a 2008 f150 supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. It sounds like you are a Chevy fan, but you may want to consider switching to Ford. My new 2011 F150 5.0 supercrew is rated at 380 hp, 390 ft lbs torque and it pulls fantastic.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
I would think that either should pull it, I towed a 829FK 4500 miles thru the canadian maritime provences with a 2008 f150 supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. It sounds like you are a Chevy fan, but you may want to consider switching to Ford. My new 2011 F150 5.0 supercrew is rated at 380 hp, 390 ft lbs torque and it pulls fantastic.

Yes I usually am a Chevy fan but I also like whatever works. So we just got a 2006 Ford superduty Crewcab diesel flatbed F250 and we had our diesel mechanic tweak it and now we are getting 19mpg and we have a brand new Wildcat 313RE and we are happy happy campers, just can't go as much as we'd like because we're not quite retired yet.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinghat View Post
We now pull our 2011 26 RLS Flagstaff with a 2003 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.0 engine. We're looking at a 2005 Suburban 2500 with 8.1 engine as we feel we need more power up and down high hills. The Denali pressure gauge goes up about 15 degrees or more when pulling in the hot summer. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the comparison between the two? Thanks a bunch.
Yeah, definitely shouldn't be getting that hot.

Did we figure out if you have electric or mechanical fans? I think, much over 35MPH, the air coming through the grill is more than the fans could ever pull through.

Do you have an aftermarket grill, maybe a billet grill? Those can restrict air flow to the radiator.

How many miles on the Denali? Might be time for a coolant flush, new thermostat, fresh coolant, and maybe hoses, too.

How is the coolant level?
What kind of shape is the water pump in? I wonder if the impeller inside didn't come apart, or just rust apart.
When the Denali is running hot, are you also running the A/C?

You can see my truck and trailer in my sig. I do ok, I just go slow on the grades... My needle is normally just on the low side of 1/2, about 180. When pulling grades, it goes to just on the high side of 1/2, about 205. You have a bigger motor... Shouldn't be getting all that hot.

Aftermarket trans cooler is always reccomended.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #12

I have an 07 Yukon XL Denali with 6.0 engine. I am not sure of your exact problem, but I did just have mine in the dealership for the same issue, running hot when pulling on hot days. The Tech that was working on mine said that the temp going to 230 and then going back down to normal 210 operating range was not an issue. He does think that my fan motors may need to be replaced, but he could not get the temp issue to happen so my extended warranty will not cover it. I did Flush the system then and put new coolant in it, this may help but I am not sure. I am taking the camper out next weekend again, and we will be going up I-77 in North Carolina to the Koa in Fancy Gap Va, so I will see how it does on that steep grade.
One other thing to have someone check, on my 04 denali with 6.0 when it started heating up like that it was the fuel pump, engine was running very rich and cause the temp to rise.
thewren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you mean lean?
Rich condition would not run hot
Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #14

Yes I did, sorry typo
thewren is offline   Reply With Quote