Old 01-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post

Trust me. None of us are saying you guys with gas 1/2 tons can't tow a 5th wheel or TT. We're just commenting that in most cases, we are seeing guys asking our opinion and find they are maxing out their trucks capabilities with 5ers that should be towed by something bigger and better setup to handle it. Also, knowing the type of terrain you'll be traveling in will leave no surprises or white knuckle experiences.
Well said, there was guy on another thread that had F150 Max Tow and HD Payload of 2601 and that more than my old 2013 Chevy 2500HD Diesel with a payload of 2475. But that's rare, most of them have payload in in the 1400 to 1800 range with a few at 2000 and with that range a full loaded truck with couple of adults, hitch, misc stuff will have payload left closer to 1000 pounds to handle the pin weight of RV.

Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #52
Just a member

Quote:
I'm sure you've been down the backside of the Coquihalla into Hope. It starts at 8% drop and then levels out to a 6% downgrade for almost 17 kms. With no exhaust brake, you are DEFINITELY riding your brakes all the way down and if you're riding them, they're getting hot. Once your pads get hot they start to disintegrate over a short period of time. Rotors ridden that long don't usually stay flat and smooth to long either. The grades are too steep to use a standard auto transmission alone to try to gear down and hold it. I've had to do the brakes sooner in my 1/2 tons alone without towing anything after a few trips down the mountains.
The Coq indeed, more than a few times. Not sure why I would need to ride the brakes all the way down that hill. I don't - never have. Some heavy braking for sure but I'm certainly not riding the pedal. The 545RFE in this Dodge has proven to be more than up the that task. A recent tranny service showed minimal amounts of wear metals and clutch material. All good.

Quote:
No fanfare, but I bet the people behind you are going "What's that smell?" That's a brake job smell!
Hmm... last I checked everything was fine and drums, shoes, magnets etc are all OE. 25K km on the TT but it's not due for a brake job just yet. Even after all that back and forth from the prairies to the wet coast. Am I doing something wrong?

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #53
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
The Coq indeed, more than a few times. Not sure why I would need to ride the brakes all the way down that hill. I don't - never have. Some heavy braking for sure but I'm certainly not riding the pedal. The 545RFE in this Dodge has proven to be more than up the that task. A recent tranny service showed minimal amounts of wear metals and clutch material. All good.

Hmm... last I checked everything was fine and drums, shoes, magnets etc are all OE. 25K km on the TT but it's not due for a brake job just yet. Even after all that back and forth from the prairies to the wet coast. Am I doing something wrong?
Then I guess you're one of the rare ones with a good set up and nothing to worry about.

Others.....not so lucky!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:05 AM   #54
Just a member

Quote:
Then I guess you're one of the rare ones with a good set up and nothing to worry about.

Others.....not so lucky!
Au contraire, there's plenty to worry about. Especially since Christy raised the speed limits to 120 km/hr on the major highways in BC. I'm meticulous when it comes to lugging a TT with a maxed out half ton but the most meticulous towing setup will not save you from the nutballs trying to get around you at warp speeds - the Coq is notorious for this. More than once, in heavy traffic, I've tucked in behind a 50+ ton tractor/trailer combo jake'n it's its way into Hope at 30 or 40 km/hr because ya just need to get out of the way of the banzai traffic. Go slow, enjoy the scenery and get there alive. And please... don't rely on lady luck!

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopjack View Post
I am new to this forum but I have seen a lot of people that are towing with 1/2 ton trucks? I have a 8528RLWS 5th wheel that has a weight 7200 dry and 9100 wet. This seems to be a lot for a 1/2 ton truck? Wright now I am using my F350 Ford diesel dull rear wheel to tow with. Use to have 4500 lbs of Lance Truck camper on the truck. I guess what am asking do these light weight trucks do the job? Would think a 3/4 ton with 410 axle and large Gas motor would be required or a diesel ?
Porkchop. May I recommend that you pick out a few members on the forum that you've noticed with half ton tow vehicles and send them private messages asking for personal experiences. Some are obviously satisfied and some, more than likely, are wishing they had a larger tow vehicle.
I tow with a half ton and I'm very satisfied with my setup. I've towed with a 3/4 ton and was satisfied. I tow a large, heavy, cargo trailer with a 1 ton dodge diesel and its terrible. Not enough power for the weight. So there are many variables to consider. Good luck in your search for answers.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #56
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I tow a large, heavy, cargo trailer with a 1 ton dodge diesel and its terrible. Not enough power for the weight.
What's the need of the private PM secrecy?

We're all here to help!

When you say Dodge, it's obviously not a Ram!
My Ram could pull a house!
Might I ask what year and engine and description of the "Dodge" you have that doesn't have enough power to pull a heavy cargo trailer?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #57
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:

We're all here to help!

Might I ask what year and engine and description of the "Dodge" you have that doesn't have enough power to pull a heavy cargo trailer?
Posts like above is why. Way bias. You probably wear Dodge Ram Cummins underwear, and that's OK but the OP is asking about a 1/2 ton consideration. So many posts get mudded up with "my Cummins is the best" which means nothing when the OP wants info on a half ton.
I'm not attacking you by any means just trying to help to realize there's more out there than a dodge.

Back on topic, I'm not a fan for any single wheel at all towing a fiver of any size but if you feel comfortable and your actual scaled weights work out within the tow vehicles specs, then go for it. I'd also reach out through some PM's to get real life experiences from people that do it.
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #58
Canadian Contingent

Says the F350 owner!

What you don't know about me is I've been driving 1/2 tons for most of my life. The most recent was a 2013 F150 4x4 Ecoboost. Before that one I had 4 F150's. A new one every 3 years so by no means am I "way bias" and I prefer "Stanfields" LOL!

Like the OP is doing, I researched the hell out of what I could find in a fifth wheel that my F150 could tow. Once I realized I wanted more 5th wheel than my F150 would carry, I spent 8 months renting, driving, researching and asking questions on several forums on the big 3 diesel trucks. The Ram just won out based on what I learned. That's why I own one. Not because I'm "Pro" anything.
I may not have had my Ram for a long time but I definitely know it's capabilities,
and I think I can offer some answers to questions on this topic.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:30 AM   #59
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Says the F350 owner!

What you don't know about me is I've been driving 1/2 tons for most of my life. The most recent was a 2013 F150 4x4 Ecoboost. Before that one I had 4 F150's. A new one every 3 years so by no means am I "way bias" and I prefer "Stanfields" LOL!

Like the OP is doing, I researched the hell out of what I could find in a fifth wheel that my F150 could tow. Once I realized I wanted more 5th wheel than my F150 would carry, I spent 8 months renting, driving, researching and asking questions on several forums on the big 3 diesel trucks. The Ram just won out based on what I learned. That's why I own one. Not because I'm "Pro" anything.
I may not have had my Ram for a long time but I definitely know it's capabilities,
and I think I can offer some answers to questions on this topic.
Now that's more usable info. I think those experiences are what's needed to be discussed. Sometimes it's in the details, not just your end result.
BTW, TMI on the Stanfields. Lol
05CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:

We're all here to help!

Dogpatch. I didn't mean to insinuate secrecy. Just feel that op will get timely opinions from current halfton drivers without all the "my truck's better than your truck" conversation that always pops up in these type queries. PMs allow for more detailed, targeted answers than open discussion and op said he noticed halfton drivers on the forum.

The Dodge is an older dodge, year unknown, it is what I pull a mobile kitchen with for disaster relief a few times a year. I think it may be 6L and it is diesel. No idea how much the trailer weighs. Its 3 axels. Need a better truck but it is a volunteer thing so money is scarce. It's gets us there and back but under duress. 😋

Sorry to get off topic. Now back to halfton TVs.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, truck