Old 04-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Travel app ?

I use Allstays, Campendium and have tried others. I cannot find one that I can plan the trip from point A to B showing mileage, stops in between for spending the night and figure out fuel stops on a multiple day trip.
Right now I go back and fourth between apps to plan the trip. Is there one app that can do it all?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
Gold Tee Box

I could never find one I trusted, and that did it all for me, so I just do my own planning. I plan fuel stops and campgrounds based on how many miles we travel in a day.

Campground reviews is a great resource.

Mapping satellite and street views will give you a good idea for where you want to stop for fuel and where they are RV friendly.

Highway maps and Interstate search will show all Rest Areas and pull offs.

Add it all up and you have your travel stop options each day.

You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to do this.

42 campgrounds/292 nights since 2015
Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeac View Post
I use Allstays, Campendium and have tried others. I cannot find one that I can plan the trip from point A to B showing mileage, stops in between for spending the night and figure out fuel stops on a multiple day trip.
Right now I go back and fourth between apps to plan the trip. Is there one app that can do it all?
I just planned a trip from Florida to Arizona, North to Glacier NP the west to Mt. Rushmore and then back toward Florida. Over 70 nights. I used the same program to find the campgrounds I booked. This program gives mileage and time based on what you want to use.

Check it out.. rvtripwizard.com

Oh, it is not free. I think it is $20/year. But well worth it in my opinion. Go to their web site and check out their demo. Also, not an app. It is web based.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #4

That rvtripwizard.com site looks very promising. The price has gone up to $39 a year but it looks like what I’ve been searching for it has the mileage, gas cost, food etc. estimates and I think all of the allstays info as well. I even like that I can drag the route on the map and quickly see if it’s worth the gas or time to do that direction. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Microsoft Streets and Trips has not been updated since 2014 but if you can find an old copy it is still the best thing going that is all offline and can be used without internet access.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Lacey's Spring, AL

trip 'planning' is really on on-going effort...if you try to plan everything 'to a tee', you'll find more aggravation than pleasure.

There is going to be traffic, roadway accidents that cause multi-hour delays, etc.,... if you've tried to 'plan' everything, with no back up, you'll find that it can then become maddening.

I use google maps exclusively for 'trip' planning. Google maps will show you everything you need - roads, traffic, places to stay, fuel stations, even places to eat, of course.
You can plan multiple stops/destinations, and it will generally give you a fair estimate of 'drive time', though remember that you probably don't drive as fast when you are 'camping', so add time to that.

If you try to let some software program or app 'plan' your trip for you, you may find that you are constantly having to adjust it along the way anyway.

Sometimes even the best laid plans aren't going to pan out. Overplanning can create more pressure to 'reach' a destination at a certain time, versus enjoying yourself along the 'journey'.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

I use an online program called Furkot. It uses the internet for planning everything down to when you want to stop for pee breaks and can be used on a computer or mobile device. Best of all it is free! I've used it numerous times. Used it twice for Disney and both times it got us to the CG within minutes of its predictions.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Microsoft Streets and Trips has not been updated since 2014 but if you can find an old copy it is still the best thing going that is all offline and can be used without internet access.
Herk, I used to use Microsoft Streets and Maps and really liked it. Only two problems for me. They quit supporting it and I quit Microsoft...lol.

RVtripwizard.com is web based so it does not matter what type computer or tablet you use and it is a trip planner, not a gps. You can download the final trip to your gps or to google maps and other options.

In todayís world most people have access to the internet, especially when planning a long trip they most likely would be at home. Not always but internet is pretty readily available.

In my opinion rvtripwizard.com is a much better tool than Microsoft Street and Maps but each to his own device. Happy trails..

Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
trip 'planning' is really on on-going effort...if you try to plan everything 'to a tee', you'll find more aggravation than pleasure.

There is going to be traffic, roadway accidents that cause multi-hour delays, etc.,... if you've tried to 'plan' everything, with no back up, you'll find that it can then become maddening.

I use google maps exclusively for 'trip' planning. Google maps will show you everything you need - roads, traffic, places to stay, fuel stations, even places to eat, of course.
You can plan multiple stops/destinations, and it will generally give you a fair estimate of 'drive time', though remember that you probably don't drive as fast when you are 'camping', so add time to that.

If you try to let some software program or app 'plan' your trip for you, you may find that you are constantly having to adjust it along the way anyway.

Sometimes even the best laid plans aren't going to pan out. Overplanning can create more pressure to 'reach' a destination at a certain time, versus enjoying yourself along the 'journey'.
I donít think google maps shows low clearances, may be wrong.

I use google maps for trips from Point a to b with a stop in between but find it almost impossible to plan a 2+ month trip. It is just not user friendly for those type trips and is not focused on RVing.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #10

RV Trip Wizard. Used it to plan our 6000 mile trip last year and our upcoming trip this April and May. It costs $39/yr, but is worth it in my opinion. One of the key features is that it'll show you campgrounds along your route.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I use an online program called Furkot. It uses the internet for planning everything down to when you want to stop for pee breaks and can be used on a computer or mobile device. Best of all it is free! I've used it numerous times. Used it twice for Disney and both times it got us to the CG within minutes of its predictions.
I looked at Furkot a while back. It is not a dedicated RV trip planner so lots of clutter to work thru.

I also find RVT interface to campgrounds to be so much more organized and easy to drill down to features, reviews and even a link right to their web site. And no only that it is displayed in large enough print to read. Also, no ads but I guess that is what I pay for...lol

Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #12

I use a combination of the free RVParky app/website and Garmin BaseCamp.

RVParky seems to have a pretty good list of parks/camps, gas, and low clearance if you search an area. App owner seems to react to suggested updates to info quickly.

I'll fine tune my actual route in BaseCamp which I have added RV size info.Not always perfect, it wanted to go over a bad rail crossing in San Antonio that Travelers World said to avoid. Other than that, it has worked for me. Since I use a Garmin GPS, it makes loading the route into the GPS easy.

Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel