Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Traveling from Florida to Central New York.

We are traveling Route 95 to 26 to 77 to 81the 3rd week in April. We were wondering if you have advice on spending nights at Flying Js Loves and TA or just book Campgrounds ahead of time. Thanks

Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Pickin' & Campin'

Are you trying to make this trip in the shortest time possible or do you plan to spend some time at your layovers?

Flying Js, TA and the like are OK for a quick overnight stop but if you need more than a few hours rest before hitting the road again, I'd think about looking at campgrounds.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

On I-95, we've stopped at Pecan RV Park in Jacksonville and Whispering Pines in Rincon, GA. More north of there, I don't know where 26 is, though.

There's a Walmart in Dillon, SC that is a great night's stay- quiet level lot.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

We were thinking Flying J, and other freebees on the way down, ended up at Ft. Crisswell RV Park in Va and KOA Savannah South, Richmond Hill, Ga., and others along the way, I'm sure freebees work for some, we were just more comfortable at a park.

LTRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRVing View Post
We were thinking Flying J, and other freebees on the way down, ended up at Ft. Crisswell RV Park in Va and KOA Savannah South, Richmond Hill, Ga., and others along the way, I'm sure freebees work for some, we were just more comfortable at a park.

I did stay at Ft. Crisswell a couple of years ago. Decent for an overnight. The pool was almost too warm in July when we stayed.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #6

OswegoLion............

We travel the route between Ontario Canada and Largo Florida tons of times with our motorhome and choose to camp along the way. Our route is always the same.......

Largo Florida to Point South/Yemassee KOA in SC located @ I-95/US-17

Great campground for an overnight stay while traversing I-95. Camp store is the highlight, they have fresh pizza made on premises. A nice coffee bar in the AM and wine tasting in the evening. Highly recommended

Yemassee to Fort Chiswell RV Park located near I-81 and I-77 in VA

Fort Chiswell RV Park is conveniently located off of I-77 and I-81. Just 3/10 of a mile off interstate 81. Get off exit 80 and take 52 south look for the park on the left hand side. Easy in and easy out. Large pull thru sites with full hook ups (water, sewer, 50 amp electric, and cable tv) make it easy for any size rig to come in without unhooking. The park is open all year.

Fort Chiswell to Twin Grove RV Resort located near I-81 N.E. of Harrisburg PA

The RV sites are full hook up, 50 amp service and include pull through sites that are wide and more than 70 feet long. They are conveniently located for our Canadian friends traveling north to south and south to north throughout the year.

Twin Grove to CDN Border and home!!!!!!!!!

These distances are quite doable for us, all offer pull-thru sites, are open all year round for Snowbird travellers, close to Interstates but not so close you hear them.

How's that work for you?

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:28 AM   #7

Thanks kenandterry. I'm a new with a 5 th wheel. I may need to break it up a little. I'm thinking 300 - 350 miles a day max.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
North From Florida

I just returned from Florida and my favorite way is 95 to 17 at Frederick VA, I take 17 to 66 and then to 81North. I do not go 26 to 77 because of the long steep pull on 77. Safe Travels; Frank
Old 03-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
LarryM158

Send a message via Yahoo to lorocon158
Cracker Barrell is usually a good place to overnight. I call the store & speak to the manager & request permission to overnight. Have not been refused yet. I late the manager know that I will have a bite to eat there, either dinner or breakfast. Has been a plea sent experience so far.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #10

Beautiful little KOA in Fancy Gap, Va. On I-77 just after you cross over from No. Carolina into Va. Exit 8. Stayed there several times. Super clean and very friendly owners. We live in Staunton, Va, and it our favorite place to go for a quick long weekend.
Have also stayed at the Luray KOA. Another nice, clean park, but a bit off of the interstate.
Wytheville KOA, on I-81, exit 77. Another nice, clean park, right off the interstate. If coming up I-77 you'll have to go south on I-81 a few miles but it's not far.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel