Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Tripping breaker

We have a 2017 25BHS, the 30 amp post breaker keeps tripping, it has happened at three different parks, not running the microwave when the air
Is on the only external thing on is a fan in the screen house is this normal? We've got about 45
Days left on the warranty.. any ideas? Also the cord is warm
rarobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarobo View Post
We have a 2017 25BHS, the 30 amp post breaker keeps tripping, it has happened at three different parks, not running the microwave when the air
Is on the only external thing on is a fan in the screen house is this normal? We've got about 45
NOT normal!!!
I have never tripped the breaker at the post with over 30 years of motorhomes and trailers.
Don' know you unit, does it have two ac's?
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Fridge on AC, Water Heater on AC and the Air Con will make the cable warm! I think you need to investigate things a little more.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Fridge on AC, Water Heater on AC and the Air Con will make the cable warm! I think you need to investigate things a little more.
X2 and don't forget the Converter can draw a few amps easily.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

Tripping breaker

An amp draw per appliance would help determine your amperage issues. No EMS?
You can check amp draws by appliance with an amp meter. Cheap enough if you have the knowledge.

We lost power at a CG for a day over the 4th weekend. We used minimal battery we could and when the power came back on I think the converter was pulling 11 amps(by EMS). I was very surprised. If you aren't hooked up the entire time or have large D/C amp draw for some reason(i.e. trailer brakes or some other large draw) then this may be your problem. Our old unit had 30 amp, one a/c, 2 micros(not ran together) and the normal stuff with no problems. Maybe your converter is over working.

Assuming you don't have extra 120v stuff plugged up...i.e. freezer, ice maker, Grizwald type outdoor lights, or other crap I cannot think of then something is wrong. Maybe bad connection at the converter/a/c power cord connections? Maybe a very dirty a/c coil? I dunno. You might have to isolate the amperages to ever figure it out.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #6

Since this unit is still under warranty, RUN back to the dealer and make them plug it in.
Turn on the ac, boil water in the microwave, put the hot water heater on electric only, and anything else you can think.
When it trips their breaker, they need to fix it.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
NOT normal!!!
I have never tripped the breaker at the post with over 30 years of motorhomes and trailers.
Don' know you unit, does it have two ac's?

No it has one 1500k unit it is 91 degrees here today, earlier today it tripped three times in one hr. Earlier this week it tripped the breaker at the park distribution box, shouldn't you be able to run microwave and ac at the same time?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
No it has one 1500k unit it is 91 degrees here today, earlier today it tripped three times in one hr. Earlier this week it tripped the breaker at the park distribution box, shouldn't you be able to run microwave and ac at the same time?
Yes you should!
The CG has a problem it sounds like.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes you should!
The CG has a problem it sounds like.
IMO, I don't think you can say this with any certainty until you check a few things.

I can watch my EMS and I know with the microwave and ac on, (as well as the converter, and the 2 Refrigerators), will trip the breaker after a few minutes. If the Microwave or AC is off, no problem, my EMS shows about 21 amps in this condition.

As some have stated, the only way to know for sure is add up all the 120 vac current draw and if it is close to 30 amps or over, it would not be unusual to trip a 30 amp breaker at the power post. And again, don't forget the converter is always drawing some current too and it could be more than you might think..

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
No you can not! Is your water heater on electric? please answer this question.

For the record

AC Running 15 K BTU 15 to 18 amps
Water Heater 11 amps
Microwave 5 to 8 amps
Converter 3 amps float mode
TV 2 amps

Add them up You have 42 amps! Please take away what you dont have. Remember most breakers are rated for 80 to maybe 90% load factor for the expensive ones. What is the voltage? With low voltage the current goes up therefore the breakers trips.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
IMO, I don't think you can say this with any certainty until you check a few things.

I can watch my EMS and I know with the microwave and ac on, (as well as the converter, and the 2 Refrigerators), will trip the breaker after a few minutes. If the Microwave or AC is off, no problem, my EMS shows about 21 amps in this condition.

As some have stated, the only way to know for sure is add up all the 120 vac current draw and if it is close to 30 amps or over, it would not be unusual to trip a 30 amp breaker at the power post. And again, don't forget the converter is always drawing some current too and it could be more than you might think..

The OP stated this is still under warranty.
There is NO REASON WHAT SO EVER that they should be popping a breaker with a brand new trailer, period!
Unless there is a wiring problem within the unit.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #12

My guess is that he has more running than he realizes. Someone needs to clamp on an accurate amp meter and check out the power draw.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
No you can not! Is your water heater on electric? please answer this question.

For the record

AC Running 15 K BTU 15 to 18 amps

Water Heater 11 amps

Microwave 5 to 8 amps

Converter 3 amps float mode

TV 2 amps

Add them up You have 42 amps! Please take away what you dont have. Remember most breakers are rated for 80 to maybe 90% load factor for the expensive ones. What is the voltage? With low voltage the current goes up therefore the breakers trips.

I'm running the electric HW, the only other thing running was a fan in the screen house with a 25ft cord. Yesterday when the temperature outside was 91 the breaker tripped 3 times with no microwave running. It did the same thing at other campgrounds . We only have 14 days in this camper with the a/c running, no problems in fall/winter/spring. Thanks for all the responses, it can be frustrating when you are camping with problems, but I know that part of it (didn't expect it with a 2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
, shouldn't you be able to run microwave and ac at the same time?
Not necessarily, depending on other draws, like your converter.

In the summertime down here in LA with my 15,000 unit, I usually have to turn the AC off if using the microwave....or it trips the 30 amp circuit breaker. I only run the water heater on propane during the summer, for this reason also.

These threads may help explain it all, and energy management

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

The water heaters electric element and 30 amp power supplies are explained in edit #2 of the first post here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
The OP stated this is still under warranty.
There is NO REASON WHAT SO EVER that they should be popping a breaker with a brand new trailer, period!
Unless there is a wiring problem within the unit.
If you read the info in the links wmtire gave,
Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
here are the typical current draws:

Converter - 8 amps
Microwave - 13 amps
Refrigerator - 2.8 amps
Roof a/c 13.5 amps

Add those together and you have 37 amps, 7 more than what the breaker is rated at. If the Microwave, AC and Converter are the only things running it is still over 30 amps.

To the OP, read those links from wmtire, great info!

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
I'm running the electric HW, the only other thing running was a fan in the screen house with a 25ft cord. Yesterday when the temperature outside was 91 the breaker tripped 3 times with no microwave running. It did the same thing at other campgrounds . We only have 14 days in this camper with the a/c running, no problems in fall/winter/spring. Thanks for all the responses, it can be frustrating when you are camping with problems, but I know that part of it (didn't expect it with a 2017)
Am I reading you correctly that you are running your electric water heater as well as the other things? If so this is what is causing it to trip when the heater turns itself on. I suggest you turn it off and use the propane function of the heater as needed, or at least only turn on the electric water heater when you are certain you are not using other appliances that have a heavy draw (this is what I do). You most likely have a dedicated breaker in the converter where you can easily switch it off.

Is it the 30 amp breaker in your converter that trips, or the one on the pedestal? If it the one in the converter it is possible that it is defective and tripping below 30 amps. You could check it with an amp meter, or just replace it.
Andersen hitch
Old 08-02-2017, 11:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Am I reading you correctly that you are running your electric water heater as well as the other things? If so this is what is causing it to trip when the heater turns itself on. I suggest you turn it off and use the propane function of the heater as needed, or at least only turn on the electric water heater when you are certain you are not using other appliances that have a heavy draw (this is what I do). You most likely have a dedicated breaker in the converter where you can easily switch it off.

Is it the 30 amp breaker in your converter that trips, or the one on the pedestal? If it the one in the converter it is possible that it is defective and tripping below 30 amps. You could check it with an amp meter, or just replace it.

It's tripping outside
Old 08-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #18

Then if you've had multiple breakers trip you are almost certainly overloading the circuit. You need to reduce the load as detailed above.
Andersen hitch
Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:
With the power off open the panel up and check all of the line voltage connections on both the hot and the neutral screws for any loose connections especially on the 30 amp breaker
rteribury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteribury View Post
With the power off open the panel up and check all of the line voltage connections on both the hot and the neutral screws for any loose connections especially on the 30 amp breaker
I would also either try a different 30 amp cord or open the cord caps up and check those connections also. When you said the cord was getting warm was it the entire cord or at one of the cord caps loose connections make for a very large draw
rteribury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker