Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Trouble w Dometic Motors in Forest River Flagstaff 27RLWS?

We bought our 2013 Forest River Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS in Feb from a dealer here in Atlanta. We have taken it out 5 times for 3-10 days at a time and overall we have enjoyed the camper....however we received a call a month ago on the recall of the Awning motor. We were told do not move the camper as the awning could open while driving down the highway. The dealer came & fixed it. Now on our trip last week the fridge would not work on electric, only gas. We took it to the dealer who could find nothing wrong with the fridge. However they just called to say the 2 Dometic motors for our big kitchen slide out have stopped working and will have to be replaced.

Is this common with Dometic motors or is this a bad batch? 3 motors changed in 6 months on slides & awnings? WTH? I feel like I bought a lemon. The dealer is replacing them but honestly I will be paranoid to take the camper out again.

The dealer is trying to get it fixed but we will probably have to cancel our Labor day trip and forfeit the money for the camp site...I am ready to sell the camper...anybody else have any issues with this type of Dometic motors & fridge?..

Kim Y
Lawrenceville, GA
vidalia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #2

I don't think this is a Forest River issue. The suppliers used by Forest River for these parts are actually quite common to other trailer manufacturers as well. That awning recall affected many trailers, Forest River and non-Forest River brands. I think it's just your "bad" luck so to speak that you've had a few items go wrong. BUT you should be extremely glad that your delaer and Forest River and standing behind their product and getting it fixed right, and fixed quickly. There are many horror stories that you can find of dealers and manufacturers not helping their customers.

It's common for ANY camper to have a few problems. Your dealer sounds like a good one. Now that you've got the bugs out....enjoy your camping!

Cheers,
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

well 1st, the awning is not FR but either carefree , Dometic or Lippert and effected more than just your RV. As far as Fridge, I would assume you have a AC problem as it works with propane which is a 12V system, I would check breakers. Your slide motors are something that rarely go bad. Trust me those few problems do not make a Lemon, just read my problems with my Ridgeview and cedar creek . Good luck
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #4

Problems

SCOC,

You are right. The dealer is working with us and all the parts such as the fridge & awning & slide out motors are Dometic...just frustrated with a new camper I reallly shouldn't have these problems...urgh

Kim Y.
Lawrenceville, GA
vidalia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidalia1 View Post

Is this common with Forest River campers? 3 motors changed in 6 months on slides & awnings? WTH? I feel like I bought a lemon. The dealer is replacing them but honestly I will be paranoid to take the camper out again.

The dealer is trying to get it fixed but we will probably have to cancel our Labor day trip and forfeit the money for the camp site...I am ready to sell the camper...anybody else have any issues with this type of camper..

Kim Y
Lawrenceville, GA
Howdy Kim. I can understand your frustration with having a new trailer and having to replace things already.

The Dometic awning motor is not manufactured by Forest River and is just one of the many components used in an RV.................like the oven, fridge, air conditioner, television, radio, tires, axles, slide motors, etc.

You would expect the RV manufacturers to use reliable components from the outsourced suppliers.....but sometime these components have bad batches or problems. Thing is, just like the Dometic awning motor recall.....those motors got placed on other brand RV's beside Forest River and also had to be taken off of those brand RV's. That is not something that any RV manufacturer can forsee, but does happen.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Kim, if you read this newsletter about the dometic motor recall, you will see other RV manufacturer names affected by it. I'm sure they also have customers who are sharing in the same frustrations as you..

RV News Service » RV awnings recalled. Don’t use your RV, feds advise

Just doing a google search on 'dometic recall' turned up several other forum links with unhappy customers.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #7

I wonder if the 2014 models have been having these issues? I am just about set to drive to Atlanta to pick up a 2014 27RLWS. I certainly don't want to be dealing with any issues with this new RV which was jut manufactured this month. Given the time since the awning recall, it might not be an issue any longer for the awning, but the Dometic slide motor issue is another story.
2010 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L | K&N filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
Wmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #8

I Have not had any problems with my 2014. Just trying to stop all the trailer movement like everyone else.
rltsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #9

So far so good with mine. I have not been on any camping trips yet other than the 3 day "shake-down" stopover about 1 hour from the dealer, and the an overnighter in Louisiana on the way back home to Texas. No problems other than the small leak at the base of the shower walls (improper caulking job).

That said I an so far not so impressed with Dometic products in general. The toilet does not flush as nicely as the Thetford unit in the old camper, and the fridge fan is noisier than the one in the Norcold in the old camper too. I just hope that I don't get any real problems with the other Dometic items noted above.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #10

Spent 20 nights in ours so far. Only problem fridge would not ignite on gas on first trip. Ignitor was positioned wrong. Just got back from 6 day 880 mile trip and everything went great. We love ours.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #11

We also love ours. Check for sealer in the bottom of the window frames...Our windows that had the extruded alum frames jointed at the bottom did not have any sealer applied and leaked water into the camper. All are fixed now.
lakerider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #12

Hmmmm .... will have to check mine. I take it you are talking about the conventionally framed windows (as opposed to the flush "frameless" windows). Did you apply some sort of silicone caulk?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmoses View Post
Hmmmm .... will have to check mine. I take it you are talking about the conventionally framed windows (as opposed to the flush "frameless" windows). Did you apply some sort of silicone caulk?
Ironically ,The flush crankout windows had sealer in them(no water can get in those frames) The conventionally framed opening windows were the un- sealed ones. I cleaned the surfaces very well and sealed them with a 2 part automotive sealant that will not harden. Don't use silicone because if the leak is not fixed,nothing will bond to the silicone residue left in the frames. Check with your dealer for the recommended sealant.
lakerider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #14

getting ready for 2nd weekend trip so far all is well hope stop the movement when set up
bob27rwls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, flagstaff, forest river