Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #21

I do not think Diesel emissions issues are exclusive to Ford.

I have had several check engine lights tied to DEF and have a recall for emissions on my Ram.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
I do not think Diesel emissions issues are exclusive to Ford.

I have had several check engine lights tied to DEF and have a recall for emissions on my Ram.

Oh, for sure!
But! When it comes down to repairing.. the inline 6 Cummins is a dream to work on vs the V8 ford and Chevy.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Oh, for sure!
But! When it comes down to repairing.. the inline 6 Cummins is a dream to work on vs the V8 ford and Chevy.

Regardless, I feel it's an issue forced upon the automakers and passed on to the consumer by the EPA.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #24

Yep, our government and the EPA is who we have to thank for all this emissions BS.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Oh, for sure!
Not to mention that the Ford dealers must be told to refuse if at all possible any warranty repairs. My friends Hate their customer service and as I said, will NEVER buy from Ford again.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #26

A lot of this warranty sabre rattling can be pinned on those owners tuning their vehicles and destroying a transmission or popping head gaskets that were never designed to handle the increased power and or pressures. Owners put back to stock and take in playing dumb and pin thousands on the mfr. they got wise and now it's like pulling teeth to get warranty work for somethings. Modify anything from stock and they want to void.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #27

Quote:
A lot of this warranty sabre rattling can be pinned on those owners tuning their vehicles and destroying a transmission or popping head gaskets that were never designed to handle the increased power and or pressures. Owners put back to stock and take in playing dumb and pin thousands on the mfr. they got wise and now it's like pulling teeth to get warranty work for somethings. Modify anything from stock and they want to void.

I'll tell you this I have done nothing to my truck except follow all the warranty requirements but I have come to the conclusion that ford could care less about their customers to have so many people with the same issues is unforgivable reading all this is really souring me on a product I used to believe in!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #28

Truck issues ruin vacation

That is one area Ford has lost some return customers.

When they first went to the CP4 pump, a number of 2011 owners experienced premature fuel pump failures. Ford quickly dismissed the problem as contaminated fuel and hung $10k repairs on the customer.

GM also went to a CP4 around the same time frame but most owner found GM stepping up and quietly fixing the issue.

The CP4 has since been updated, but the possibility is still present for it to grenade and take the entire fuel system with it. By the time it shows symptoms or quits it is too late.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #29

Hell, my old ecoboost had the stutter/stumble issue and they wouldn't work on it until I put a motocraft air filter back in and took off the bug screen in front of the intercooler.

THERE WAS A TSB OUT AS IT WAS A KNOWN ISSUE!!! And they claimed there was no TSB until I printed it out and took it in to the service dept.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #30

I had troubles with decreased pulling power. Couldn't get any codes to come up, just that on a 6-7% grade our Duramax wouldn't pull as fast as it did previously.
Took it to two shops, one a Chev dealer, the other a diesel repair shop, neither one could come up with a reason. Took it to another independent shop, first thing he asked if I had any mods done, NO. Told him nothing had been done other than what the other shops had checked and didn't come up with anything. Next he suggested it was the DPF, asked if I had considered a "delete". Told him I had but was reluctant to do it. Then he said to go home and price a new DPF. That I did, $2100 was the best figure I could come up with. Went back and talked to him, said he could have an outside guy do it for me for a little more than the cost of a filter, never have the problem again.
So far so good, no more DEF fluid, more power, slightly more fuel mileage. The only down side so far is they put on a louder exhaust, wife likes it, me not so much. But it does turn the wheels if we aren't careful, love that.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
Old 09-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #31

Sorry to hear your problems with your truck. I drove my 2000 7.3 for 16 years and the only engine problem was a water pump and a recall on the cam sensor. Best truck I ever had. One year in with the 2017 F350 6.7 diesel and the truck has performed perfectly. Dealer has always treated me well. I did have a 1996 Chevy 6.5 diesel that did not have the power to pull up a hill. That was how I ended up at Ford. You need to buy what you are comfortable with but I cannot see myself not driving a diesel.
The gas trucks are getting better reviews for towing recently. Always a good choice. Sorry for the ramble but some of us are enjoying our Ford diesels.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #32

Sorry that happened to you. As others have stated I had the exact same truck and towed my 5er all over the country including the Cascade mountains, Glacier National Park, and Yellowstone. More than 10k miles of towing that trailer and another 5k or so on a 35 ft travel trailer. It had 33k miles on it when I traded it in and it was flawless the entire time.

When you do a search online you are finding the small percentage of owners experiencing issues who go to the internet for help (this is with any vehicle not just Fords). Ford sells thousands of these vehicles per month and here recently has been outselling both the Chevy and GMCs combined. With that many trucks being produced there are bound to be a small number of issues. I know its not what you want to hear, but just trying to keep it perspective.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #33

I hate it for you, not a Ford guy by any means for a lot of reasons above, mainly every couple years a new engine, major turn off. Duramax, Cummins been around. Personally, that's why I hunted for a good, used, non molested, pre emmisions diesel and haven't looked back. Sure bells and whistles are nice, but reliability gives a sense of comfort too.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Ford Superduty outsells all the competition in the US and in Canada since they built them.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 PM   #35

Well guys, I bought a new 2005 F350 dually with the 6.0L diesel engine. Didn't know it at the time, but that engine was the worst that Ford ever stuck in their trucks. Sure enough, at about 90k miles and just out of warranty on the time frame side, I had to replace all the induction system. However, I went to a diesel repair shop and we replaced all the bad parts with after-market Bullet Proof Diesel parts. Problem solved to the tune of about $5K (mutter, mutter, razzle, frazzle, etc). Shortly thereafter, we bought a 43' 5th wheel 16,000#. Also installed an engine monitoring system that plugged into the OBD-II computer port. That's when I discovered that the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) power supply was only giving me 36v, vs 48V. Replaced the power supply with one from Bullet Proof, and set it up to give me 50+V. Again, problem solved. If I had left the OEM FICM power supply in, it would have destroyed my fuel injectors. Bottom Line: After fixing all the problems with that Ford 6.0L engine, it is still going strong at 170K miles, pulling our heavy rig up and down all the pointy landscape of the western US. Other than the crummy engine I really like the F350 - biggest cabin on the market, with a solid suspension. I will be replacing it sometime in the next 50k miles with another F350 dually with the 6.7L diesel. Wish I didn't have to mess with DEF fluid tho', which of course increases the cost/mile to drive. Chev and Dodge still don't offer a cab as roomy as the Ford.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #36

Quote:
Regardless, I feel it's an issue forced upon the automakers and passed on to the consumer by the EPA.
I don't know if you've ever seen a dpf, but it amazes me that an engine can even run with one of those attached. They are dense!

I read today where Great Britain and China are both passing legislation to do away with gas /diesel passenger cars and trucks altogether. Electric only.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
Old 09-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbike View Post
I had troubles with decreased pulling power. Couldn't get any codes to come up, just that on a 6-7% grade our Duramax wouldn't pull as fast as it did previously.
Took it to two shops, one a Chev dealer, the other a diesel repair shop, neither one could come up with a reason. Took it to another independent shop, first thing he asked if I had any mods done, NO. Told him nothing had been done other than what the other shops had checked and didn't come up with anything. Next he suggested it was the DPF, asked if I had considered a "delete". Told him I had but was reluctant to do it. Then he said to go home and price a new DPF. That I did, $2100 was the best figure I could come up with. Went back and talked to him, said he could have an outside guy do it for me for a little more than the cost of a filter, never have the problem again.
So far so good, no more DEF fluid, more power, slightly more fuel mileage. The only down side so far is they put on a louder exhaust, wife likes it, me not so much. But it does turn the wheels if we aren't careful, love that.
Out of curiosity, how many more miles per gallon are you seeing after the delete?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
Old 09-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many more miles per gallon are you seeing after the delete?

As I said, wasn't really pleased with the mileage. So far about 5000 mile in I've been seeing only a 2 mpg increase across the board. Not like I expected. At least it is running strong again, brings out the teenager in me. Will get sideways if you get a little eager on the throttle.

2016 t28FQDX Shockwave,
New Provider tires 10/31/18 ,
2021 Chev LT 3500
2020 Polaris RZR 900 Fox Edition
Old 09-11-2017, 05:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Ford Superduty outsells all the competition in the US and in Canada since they built them.
Doesn't mean they are any better than other trucks, they just sell more. Chrysler minivans were a top seller once...I owned 4...blew transmissions in every one of them. Never owned another Chrysler after #4.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
I don't know if you've ever seen a dpf, but it amazes me that an engine can even run with one of those attached. They are dense!

I read today where Great Britain and China are both passing legislation to do away with gas /diesel passenger cars and trucks altogether. Electric only.
I saw the same report. When they come up with an electric vehicle that will tow 11,000 lbs of trailer....then "Call Me", until then...forget it. I was really amused when I heard that Tesla was able to send an "Update" to it's cars in Florida, that significantly increased the mileage before needing to be recharged. So why isn't that extended mileage the norm ???
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, truck