Old 11-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #1

Uh oh...took the camper to be winterized

And we took a look at a slightly larger version of our 2011 Micro Lite 18FBRS. Don't get me wrong... We LOVE our tiny camper. It is so easy to pull and the slide makes it so open inside.
Well, took the camper in to get winterized this weekend and the hubs said "let's just look". So now we are "looking" at a 2015 21FBRS. The differences are a north/south bed which would be so nice, ducted air (one of our big complaints is the air blows right down on the bed and we have not found a good way to deflect it so even on low it freezes me out), it has an oven and counter space, more storage, the TV can mount outside, diamond plate on the front, taller propane tanks, and an electric awning. So now we are waiting on the call back from finance on the numbers.

I am curious if there are any opinions on the electric vs manual awning, and the weight of 18' vs 21'. We pull with a F150 half ton truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1415469661848.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	66041  

sunnygirl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #2

I just realized that I don't remember seeing a front window. Our camping buddy may not like a new camper because she sure enjoys looking out the front window. We leave it open for her to look out if we have to go somewhere she can't go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1415470164291.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	66044  

Old 11-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl01 View Post
...I am curious if there are any opinions on the electric vs manual awning, ...
IMO, I would not have a manual awning again after putting the self-storing support poles on my electric awning and doing FT Turbs "Lazy Man's Awning" mod.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #4

Here's one on an RV website - shows a front window:

Colman's RV | 2015 TRAVEL TRAILER FOREST RIVER FLAGSTAFF MICRO LITE 21FBRS Stock fd401576 | Springfield, IL 217-793-7300

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #5

I also prefer the electric awning. So much easier to open and close. I don't think the weight difference from 18 to 21 ft would be all that much and I think your truck should easily handle it. For me, having a front window is something I enjoy but only you can decide how important it is to you.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
WFD

And I am from the opposite where I would have no problem giving up my electric awning and going back to a manual....I find manual gives me more flexibility to adjust the awning...can't can't enough angle out of the electric one to provide sufficient shade...and one less thing to go wrong...if your electric awning fails, you can retract it, but its a pain and then it needs to be serviced before you can use it again. I really don't find it a big deal to have to go outside and manually open and close the awning...just my 2 cents worth.

P.S. You know it's really not that big a deal to winterize them...no need to pay someone to do it for you, plus you learn a lot about your RV at the same time for future trouble shooting, etc.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #7

21fbrs

My wife and I have a 2014 21fbrs that we tow with a 2010 f150. It does a fine job of pulling it. We did opt for Aluminum wheels and a slide cover when we ordered ours last fall. We purchased it from Wana RV in Shipshewanna In. only ten mile from Rockwood and Flagstaff plant. We really like ours and the dealer.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
And I am from the opposite where I would have no problem giving up my electric awning and going back to a manual....I find manual gives me more flexibility to adjust the awning...can't can't enough angle out of the electric one to provide sufficient shade...and one less thing to go wrong...if your electric awning fails, you can retract it, but its a pain and then it needs to be serviced before you can use it again. I really don't find it a big deal to have to go outside and manually open and close the awning...just my 2 cents worth.

P.S. You know it's really not that big a deal to winterize them...no need to pay someone to do it for you, plus you learn a lot about your RV at the same time for future trouble shooting, etc.
The part about angle to adjust for shade is the (Same) if you plan on (Open & Closing) a Door under a awning,Both manual & elect will (Rub) the Fabric if lowered to far! A good sunshade is required for proper Door clearance and Sun reduction at the same time. Also the people at the Outer Edge better be (Real Short) for proper head clearance. Youroo!!
Old 11-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Yes, the 21FBRS does have a front window. The 2013 model doesn't have ducts for the AC but the AC cools the camper down very quickly. We love ours.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input! I did look at the pictures and see the front window!
I know we should probably learn to winterize it ourselves. When we bought the 2011 it was our very first camper experience. I felt like it would be good for someone with experience to put eyes on it once a year and tell me if something didn't look right. I don't quite understand the water bypass valves and how they work yet but I am definitely more comfortable now with everything. But...for $150 our dealer will winterize it in the fall and dewinterize it in the spring AND give it a bath! Lol! Some things are just worth the money! :-)

Tags
winterize, camper, winter