Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #21

I guess the question is why?
With good RV blackwater macerator pumps running $250 or so as a turnkey solution, I can't imagine concocting a Rube Goldberg solution with adapters, switches, fittings, and such for much less.

As a hypothetical concept, it may be fun to ponder, but converting a gravity-feed sink grinder to a macerator to move human waste, potentially uphill, seems like a lot of effort with little return on investment...and the potential to create a hazardous waste site in the process. Plus they don't come with their own handy-dandy carrying case.

Good luck with your experiment. Pardon me if I stand WAAAAYYY back while I watch.

Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #22

I also use one of the RV Flojet systems. I got it on sale and with a gift card paid less than $150. Its 12v and connects right up to my RV battery. The only issue I have had with it is overheating periodically. I just need to keep my hand on it to check the temps while I am using it. If I turn it off for 30 seconds or so every 5-7 minutes it works flawlessly. The instructions say not to let it run more than 15 minutes at a time but I just take a break mid way. My tank is usually empty in the 10 or so minutes anyway. That is with the standard 3/4" fitting coming from the macerator. You can purchase an adapter that converts the that connection to a 1" and supposedly increases flow by 40%. That is probably correct. You also can not let it run dry for more than 30 seconds.

It pumps uphill great too. I have a run from my trailer to my dump location in my yard of about 50 or so feet with a 4' rise at the end.

It allows me options to come home with a full tank and emptying at home vs. sitting in line at the dump station and how far away I am from the house.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...BoCX5IQAvD_BwE
Attached Images

2017 Nights Camped 35
2015 Palomino Solaire 201SS
2016 Ram 2500 Tradesman CTD
Leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #23

I've decided to give this disposal thing a try, convinced I will like it over the 12 volt stuff. If it turns out to be a failure I can always keep it as a backup to the one in the kitchen (after a good cleaning)
Until we bought our own two and a half acre campground near a mountain lake that has the septic tank 75 feet from the power and water I never really cared for macerators. Had a built in one on a motorhome that I rarely used. It is amazing all the fittings and do-dads available for RV sewer handling. Who knows what the final product might look like, but I'm going to attempt to build the 'better mouse trap'.
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #24
I Break Everything

Kramer had a garbage disposal in his shower. He made delicious salads while bathing.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Another great Craigslist find....got my macerator and case, never used, $35. Thetford Tote, used, but very clean, $20. Guy included a 50’ black rubber hose with its own sealed tote.

This setup works great for me. Pumps the black stuff into the tote that I put in the bed of my truck. I take the RV sewer hose with me to the dumpsite, connect, done. However, I have to be careful....my tanks are bigger than the 35 gallon tote.

Amazing what deals you can find ‘out there’ if you are willing to make a list and keep an eye out while watching news or the like.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #26

I used one for several years, found it very slow to drain a full tank and trying to do any type of flushing of the tank also slowed the process down. Uses 12v so does take a toll on batteries. I had to put a by-pass on so that I could drain my gray tank effectively since I leave them open. Also didn't like having a clear drain pipe to see the status of tank being cleaned when flushing. Went back to sewer pipe...
Old 01-04-2019, 12:28 PM   #27

Fifth Wheelers....LOL, don't like watching the poop going down the drain? Not my favorite thing to do either but feel it's a good idea to monitor it.
Gather you went back to the 'whoosh' system. With our new 'campground' arrangement we don't have that option.
It truly amazes me all the attachments and gizmos available to accomplish this task. I have ordered a half horse disposal in order to begin this project, my main concern is how long it might take to empty things thinking I probably need to keep on eye on things the entire time it takes. Hmmm.....maybe a high output pump after the disposal????
dieseldodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #28

dieseldodge - Agree not one of the more pleasant tasks with living the RV life style. Recommend that if your black and gray tanks exit one pipe, and you normally leave your gray tank(s) open then make sure you do a by pass for the gray. Best of luck...
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #29

I have a FlowJet macerator and thirty feet of 1 inch hose. Iím going to buy a bladder tank to pump into. I donít plan on using it to much. Occasionally I dry camp, I may get to use it some on a trip to Alaska Iím planning. DW hates to move just to dump the holding tanks
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #30

I have one that I built a couple of years ago and it does work. I have a 5' clear hose attached to it before the 50' hose so I can monitor the flow. I don't think I would use it every time I dump, but on occasion it has come in handy. I bought the disposal on ebay for around $25.00

Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is online now   Reply With Quote